-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Planting food plots always gets the juices flowing for the upcoming deer season.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Soy beans in top two pics, will plant clover and turnips in August in the plot pictured at the bottom.
[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That looks familiar.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear ya! I just wish I had your tractor to put mine in with. Planted Soybeans 3 weeks ago, but haven't been able to spray them due to weather and time to get there. Hope they aren't a lost cause by the time I can get down there. Planning on overseeding everything about Aug 15th. Gonna have a couple brassica plots, at least one oats/winter pea plot and whatever else I buy before then. Hoping to establish as least on permanent clover plot this fall.

Breaking virgin ground with a UTV and a lightish disc isn't as nice as what you are working with. Here's a pic of a couple of our plots on the powerline ROW.
[Linked Image]

Hoping to enlarge these a bit each year with some spraying and disc work.

Last edited by pointer; 06/29/15.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That looks familiar.

Yep, your lucky spot was just over the hill by about 100 yds.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I keep food plots out all year, guess the fever is all year long in that case. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
I hear ya! I just wish I had your tractor to put mine in with. Planted Soybeans 3 weeks ago, but haven't been able to spray them due to weather and time to get there. Hope they aren't a lost cause by the time I can get down there. Planning on overseeding everything about Aug 15th. Gonna have a couple brassica plots, at least one oats/winter pea plot and whatever else I buy before then. Hoping to establish as least on permanent clover plot this fall.

Breaking virgin ground with a UTV and a lightish disc isn't as nice as what you are working with. Here's a pic of a couple of our plots on the powerline ROW.
[Linked Image]

Hoping to enlarge these a bit each year with some spraying and disc work.

Pointer, I know what you mean about the ATV and the light'ish disk; we've done it that way too. Lucky enough to have a hunting buddy with the tractor. We still have to use Shortactionsmoker's Gator or the old 4-wheeler to harrow the seeds into the dirt. Your power line plots look good.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It takes much more time than I imagined. That said, now that we have a start I'm hoping some judicious applications of roundup and a bit more seat time will make it easier to enlarge the plots. We have a couple of acres of hay ground near the cabin and I'm hoping to put an acre or so of that into plots as well along with some soft mast trees. It's work and it's a fun way to stretch the season. I really like being able to get my two boys involved in growing something on the land as a teaching tool as well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That looks familiar.

X2!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll bet Mini Marty recognizes that bottom plot.

Doug
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ExtremeHunter16
That looks familiar.

X2!

X3 grin

Update: Just signed up for a new English Cocker hunting pup that will be coming North out of Albany, Georgia. Toby is getting a new Bud to hang with.

Last edited by battue; 07/02/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good on you getting another pup. The puppy will probably drive Toby crazy for a little while.

Doug
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He tormented Abby when he was a pup. Now it's his turn. 😀

Working on a new pup name. Presently "Jigs" is at the top of the list.

Good luck with the new plantings. Hope they produce beyond all expectations.

Last edited by battue; 07/02/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by lastround
I'll bet Mini Marty recognizes that bottom plot.

Yes he does! And will likely never forget it...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I still remember my "first" and that's been a long, long time ago.

Doug
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beans are up and one camera is in place. Hopefully, pics of velvet monsters will follow...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well the beans I planted grew...then were eaten! Won't make any grain, even though a few are trying to flower, but they did what I wanted them to do. These are new plots on a ROW, so I wanted something roundup ready and that they'd eat. Both goals accomplished. Next year, we'll use a bit more seed and hopefully get the plots a bit bigger.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Only bean plants I could find that weren't bitten were the ones hiding in the grass I missed when I sprayed them 2 weeks ago. Fat guy, hot sun, and a 1gal hand sprayer do not result in the most even of spraying. wink I'll head down in a couple of weeks and lightly disk the plots under and spread the fall food stuff. Gonna be a mix of oats/winter peas in a couple and brassica's in the others.

These are mostly to set up good places for the kids to get on deer, but the work part of it sure is fun.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The fever is alive and well here in MN.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just got back from the range, myself. I had previously sighted in the 257 Roberts, but today I took my old 6mm, a Tikka T3 Hunter in 6.5x55, Tracey's 270 WSM, and Jr's 308.

Those four rifles are now squared away, and the only one I really need to double check is the little 300 Blackout that Jr. used on the hog hunt in March.

I'm thinking the heavy lifting is about done. Let the dragging begin!!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,056 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.