Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have a box of Winchester .22 long CB-match ammo and am wondering if this is effective for hunting of varmints larger than pest birds or squirrels? I am thinking around raccoon or Opossum sized?

The limited rounds I have test fired shows that it is quiet stuff compared to the regular .22 ammo. I also have some CCI "Quiet .22 LR", I am in the early stages of tests for sound, etc. Will that ammo work on larger pests? I luckily bought both boxes before the Obama scare and they have been in storage ever since.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Dan's a great story teller.

I enjoyed that post, having been there, done that, although not to the Dan's level.

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
CB stands for Cat Bullet

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dan's a great story teller.

Yep, that's why I saved a link to it! grin

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by keith
CB stands for Cat Bullet

Extra points if they have a collar on.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not sure about how effective CB's are but my Aunt failed to execute herself with a Win Short! Glanced off her right temple and right out through a double pane window. A lot of blood, for some reason she went for another but changed her mind and hung the gun back in the garage. She then cleaned up some of the blood she trailed all over the house in her quest for whatever. Myself, wife and my mother found her laying on the bed with several of those thin pads layed down to absorb the blood(she was a neat freak).

Rubbed most of the finish off the 512 getting her DNA off it and it is still setting in my work room. Just can't get into using it or selling it. I give it a little room just in case she rubbed some bad juju into it!

So that is surely considered bad luck with Shorts anyhoo. She did get the job done the second goround with prescription drugs when she couldn't find another gun to buy in town after over a year of counceling etc. Goes to prove that despite being a millionaire doesn't mean you know ballistics, are happy or make appropriate choices! frown

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A CB .22 has an 18 gr bullet @ about 700 fps. My .177 pellet rifle (Benjamin Marauder) shoots a 10.5 magnum pellet at about 900 fps. I mention this because last year I shot a racoon that was out during the day that was under my wife's bird feeder. I have the pellet rifle for squirrel control and was about to shoot a squirrel when the racoon showed up. When it looked at me I shot it between the eyes and flop, flop, dead. Normally though I use my .22 LR for shooting close range pests of that size. All it really has to do is penetrate the skull. If your CB capa can do that at really close range, it'll get the job done.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to be a nitpicker, Cooper, it's a 29 grain bullet, FWIW.

I've been impressed with the CB, (stands for conical ball, but cat bullet applies well). I've cleanly taken lawn lions (without collars) with a Kennedy/Lincoln hold with CBs. Biggest problem I have with CBs is that I'm almost out of them and can't find them anywhere.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One summer I was working for the National Park Service on the north rim of the Grand Canyon near Tuweep doing a biological inventory. We were camping outside the park and there were a lot of jack rabbits and I decided to forage for much of our meat.
I killed a lot of jack rabbits that summer and came to prefer CB caps as you could hear the smack when they hit and the rabbits typically dropped on the spot rather than running like they usually did when hit with LR ammo.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jacks have a reputation for being pretty chewy. How'd you cook 'em?

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
**************************ATTENTION******************************

Possums eat rattle snakes!

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Jacks have a reputation for being pretty chewy. How'd you cook 'em?

Long and slow. One old Jack was so tough we ended up cooking it till the bones dissolved and the meat was still abit on the tough side !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed more schit with .22 CB Shorts than most would believe. They are pure poison on rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, skunks, cats, birds (including turkeys), and if you do your part, they'll put down a deer or a feral dog.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAcharlie

So?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've often wondered how possums survive. After all they are slow and not very bright but they have to compete with racoons who are nimble and clever.

I've come to the conclusion that possums must be willing to eat some things that racoons won't. Now that's a sobering notion.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by natman

I've often wondered how possums survive. After all they are slow and not very bright but they have to compete with racoons who are nimble and clever.

I've come to the conclusion that possums must be willing to eat some things that racoons won't. Now that's a sobering notion.

...I think you are correct... I remember reading a magazine article a long time ago about a guy who always ate possum...until the day he was riding along and came to the very ripe carcase of a dead horse...he stopped to look and a possum which had been dining "inside" crawled out and ran off...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm thinking of picking up some of these - seems like they would be quiet AND deadly!

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/qui...egmented-hollow-point-rdbx-p-139922.html

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A bunch of years ago my brother-in-law was tracking a doe he had shot with his bow. Said he saw her up the hill laying on her side,but he thought it looked like maybe she was still breathing because he thought he saw her side move. He started quietly working towards her hoping to put another arrow in her if need be. Said he got about ten yards from her and thought to himself "Geez, somethings wrong, she shouldn't smell this bad", but she had quit "breathing". It was about the third week of our archery season and very warm. He walks over, grabs a hind leg to roll her over and out runs a opossum. His deer was another fifty yards or so on up the hill.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Not to be a nitpicker, Cooper, it's a 29 grain bullet, FWIW.

I've been impressed with the CB, (stands for conical ball, but cat bullet applies well). I've cleanly taken lawn lions (without collars) with a Kennedy/Lincoln hold with CBs. Biggest problem I have with CBs is that I'm almost out of them and can't find them anywhere.

Apparently some foreign made CB caps use 15-20 gr. bullets (RWS, Aguila). I got my info here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB

And here http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2011/08/are-cb-caps-as-good-and-accurate-as-pellets-part-2/

I did see where CCI has a CB Short that is 29 grain. They are a different cartridge than a CB Cap. I didn't notice that the OP was talking about CB Longs, that would be a 29 grain bullet. Either way, they should be ok. The least powerful I ever purchased were shorts.

Last edited by cooper57m; 07/09/15.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 59 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.