Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
dennisinaz,

So is your bolt stuck in the gun right now with a re-sized but unloaded piece of brass??

Yes.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Stuck in the rifle, what does that have to do with the extractor? I bet it ain't stuck with the bolt all the way back.
Is the bolt handle either up or down?

Last edited by butchlambert1; 07/03/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never did get an answer. Will the bolt rotate and not pull back or not move at all? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
milespatton,

I never did get an answer. Will the bolt rotate and not pull back or not move at all? miles

Sorry I didn't answer. I sure want to solve this problem. The bolt rotates about 70 degrees and stops solidly. It moves quite normally up and down.

Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You need to pull the barrel before you do more damage- sounds like something is caught in there. Might be a broken extractor that dropped to the locking area.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to pull the barrel before you do more damage- sounds like something is caught in there.

Dennis, I think that you are correct. If it would not rotate, I thought it might just be brass that was too long and jammed/binding in the neck. miles

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Using a rifle to check your cases is just about as smart as using you computer as a CD Player. There are plenty of cheaper ways to do both.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
CAFR,

Using a rifle to check your cases is just about as smart as using you computer as a CD Player. There are plenty of cheaper ways to do both.

I've made no bones about it on this site. My strong suite in life is ignorance. I am very curious how to check the cases for fit in the rifle without using the rifle. As far as computers I know less about them than I do about checking cases in the rifle. Seriously, please inform me how to check the cases. Thank you in advance.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I always cycle cartridges before going hunting. Don't want be hunting and the brass not chamber. Yes, you can measure your brass several ways.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
CAFR,

I've made no bones about it on this site. My strong suite in life is ignorance. I am very curious how to check the cases for fit in the rifle without using the rifle. As far as computers I know less about them than I do about checking cases in the rifle. Seriously, please inform me how to check the cases. Thank you in advance.

Over the years, I have drifted back to the way that I did things when I first started reloading. I full-length resize all my brass. When seating bullets, I measure the COAL of a few out of the first twenty or so that I load to make sure that the seating die is still set where I want it. Then, like Butch, I run all of the loaded rounds through the magazine and into and out of the chamber of the rifle(s) in which I intend to shoot them.

I have a couple of rifles chambered for AI cartridges. With these, I may or may not neck size only, depending on how much I plan to shoot them in the near future. Even with those, every loaded round goes through the magazine and into and out of the chamber before they go in the cartridge boxes.

Every round that I intend to use on big game is full-length resized. YMMV.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ringman, see my previous post. My Sako AIII did exactly what your action is doing. The bolt handle would rotate but would not pull back from the face of the chamber.

Rolly
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gentlemen,

I am embarrassed to tell you what I think it is. Normally I check the sized brass before I go any further. These were fired brass when I purchased them. I have fired them a couple times. When I glanced at the loading block where the cases are standing with the heads up I noticed they are primed. About a dozen went through the action trouble free. But if the one stuck in the chamber is number fifteen number thirteen in the loading block has no primer! That means the primer from number thirteen came out and somehow got in the locking lug area. blush

A simple pulling of the barrel will allow the 'smith to get the offending culprit out and I can carry on with my playing. That's if I am correct where the primer is. smile

Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Let us know.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ringman
CAFR,

A case gauge is the safest way to check size and length. A full length resizing die and a set of calipers or a case length gauge will tell you if the cartridges will fit any spec chamber. Sticking a case in a case gauge is much easier to deal with than in your rifle chamber.

As for the computer, why risk damaging a computer by using it to play music when a CD player can be had for much less money?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, just trying to encourage common sense and sharing the wisdom of a lifetime of triumphs and tragedies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A case gauge is the safest way to check size and length. A full length resizing die and a set of calipers or a case length gauge will tell you if the cartridges will fit any spec chamber.

You are probably correct, but I think that I will still run mine through the rifle before going hunting. miles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, I agree. When I go on a hunt with a center fire rifle, it is with hand loads and away from home so a good deal of time and somtimes money is invested. Call me old fashioned but I run every cartridge through the rifle before I leave.

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A case gauge is the safest way to check size and length.

How is is "safer" than the rifle?

A full length resizing die and a set of calipers or a case length gauge will tell you if the cartridges will fit any spec chamber. Sticking a case in a case gauge is much easier to deal with than in your rifle chamber.

This certainly has not worked in my experience. That's why I check them in the rifle.

By the way, you posted there are cheaper ways to check. How are the things you mentioned cheaper?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You guys do whatever you want. Gunsmiths gotta eat, too. My reloads always fit. If you have to run the chance of getting a live round stuck in your rifle by chamber checking all your reloads, then maybe you should quit reloading. On second though, maybe you guys should just stick to factory ammo, because they have a dude sitting there chamber checking every round with his own rifle so you dont have to. Just sayin

Last edited by CAFR; 07/06/15.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
jus sayin? CAFR, you aren't completely correct. The items that you mentioned will not give you a 100% guarantee that it will chamber. Remember he is loading a round into his or his buddy's rifle with the brass from the other rifle. They were chambered by the same smith and same reamer. Go on the second page on the campfire forum and look for the post on this.
jus sayin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My reloads always fit. If you have to run the chance of getting a live round stuck in your rifle by chamber checking all your reloads, then maybe you should quit reloading.

Most of my reloads are neck sized, even the hunting ones. When hunting, I don't want one hard to chamber because the shoulder needed set back a little. If I am going target shooting, I omit this step. I try to take all of the things that can go bad out of the equation. If you don't want to do this step, then don't do it. I don't care, but I will continue, as it makes me comfortable. miles

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 34 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.