Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Simple soul here. Since I routinely carry spare silk or poly glove liners anyway, I just slide a cartridge into each finger/thumb and stick them in a pocket or pack. 10 round, no rattles.

that's a pretty darn good idea!!!!

It is a rather simple and clever idea.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have these on all my rifles
You can put a piece of foam under to adjust your comb height and carry extra ammo either inside the pouch or in the shell loops on the outside.
I carry an extra loaded 5 round magazine in Mine that I have on my
Tikka Superlight.
Attaches securely to the stock
Cant beat the price

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=allen+buttstock+pouch&_sop=15

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure why anyone carries extra ammo. I just see hunters shoot once and then sit there doing nothing. crazy

But when I do carry extra ammo I put one or two in a shirt pocket then a few more wrapped up in something to quiet them in my pack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is not rocket science..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Not sure why anyone carries extra ammo. I just see hunters shoot once and then sit there doing nothing. crazy

But when I do carry extra ammo I put one or two in a shirt pocket then a few more wrapped up in something to quiet them in my pack.

I like to keep my ammo with my rifle so I never forget and leave the ammo in camp or in a different pocket,also never have to worry about ammo falling out of my pocket or digging it out of a pack if needed(wild dogs,coyotes,or predators of whatever sort).
I like to fit the rifles comb to my cheek and face so when I pull it up my eye is looking right through the scope without any shifting needed to shoot.
So the buttstock ammo carrier lets me do that and carry ammo,small compass etc.
Works for me !
Just pick up my rifle and ready to go.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
KISS......one in each front pocket, and one in each chest pocket.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If I'm blind hunting the butt stock carrier works well. For PG In Africa I carried six total with one up the spout for my single shot. Spares were in the Bakkie which was never really more than a couple miles away.

I tend more to travel lighter than not.

Hunt Africa while you can
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Most of my pants have that little "lighter pocket" inside the right hip pocket. 4+ rounds always in reach and no rattles.

An old leather 5 round sleeve goes in my breast pocket if the the pants are not so equipped.

Semper Fi

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I usually have a 10 round vinyl holder like some of the factory ammo puts in their boxes in the day pack. I also have some of these same type holders that are shorter and hold 5 rounds in my shirt pocket.
The only time I ever emptied a magazine was shooting at a mule deer that I had wounded and had gotten pretty far away and was still moving.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My outlaw sling holds 8 rounds.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by powdr
Elk, not John but I've always carried extra ammo in an ammo wallet. It's the size of a wallet and folds out w/two sides and there are cartridge loops on each side. I usually carry a full rifle and 8 extra cartridges in the wallet. It has a Velcro strap to keep it closed and fits nicely into a fanny pack or your bare pocket(front or back). IF I CAN'T GET IT DONE W/12 CARTRIDGES...WELL YOU KNOW. powdr

This

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I like a ten round wallet on my belt and 12 more carried in the pack on two speed strips made for pistol rounds. Keeps them quiet and easy to get at.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ten round Velcro wallet holder in my hip pocket.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Laughing. Aint that the truth!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm laughing too!

African PH's (the people called guides here) call that "admiring the shot." They say many Americans are guilty of such admiration, even if the animal they shot at is running off with the herd.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm laughing too!

African PH's (the people called guides here) call that "admiring the shot." They say many Americans are guilty of such admiration, even if the animal they shot at is running off with the herd.

I once posted a picture of three TSX's recovered from a bull Elk. All three shots went through heart/lungs area. But wow did people come unglued. I'm everything from a lousy shot to a meat waster. But the reality is, the big bull stayed on his feet for 30 yds or so which provided ample time to hit him three times. Two of the shots where spaced between the timber. I can't figure out what the commotion was all about.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 07/03/15.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Wise words from dad: "Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting two or three times"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.