Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
In the last year I picked up a 243 and 7-08; both stainless ADL's. Both shot great. The 243's trigger broke in half on the 3rd box of ammo - replaced with a Timney and rocked on. The original trigger wasn't bad, right until it self destructed. POS.

The 7-08 was traded off to fund something else. One word of caution - many are spooked by the recent Remington recalls and quality problems, either real or imagined. I had two places refuse to take it in on trade, and it was in great shape and a shooter. Remington's reputation has taken a hit.

Remington problems do affect resale value, at least in my experience. FWIW....

GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
You had 2 places that refused to take a Remington 700 for trade?.....Wow!..........Hb

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Only the newer models. I was shocked myself. One was a local shop and the other was a Cabelas.

Remington will have to rebuild goodwill after the recalls I guess. That reminds me - I need to check out the newest Marlins. Heard that these are better now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
You had 2 places that refused to take a Remington 700 for trade?.....Wow!..........Hb

A Winchester museum and what other place ..?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a 22-250 heavy barrel with the crappy xmark trigger that wouldn't adjust this year, I replaced the trigger with the old style that breaks cleanly at just under 3 lbs. It shoots the cheap Winchester 55's into less than 3/4" pretty easily and that is without developing a load or changing the stock.

But you certainly see a pattern here of people buying the Remington and changing it with labor and or money to function properly. Many rifles Tikka, TC, Vanguard /Howa, Savage, Ruger, and others don't need to be tweaked to shoot well.

The first 700 I bought in 1977 didn't extract well and was returned in favor of a Ruger 77 that functioned well then and still does. In my opinion quality out of the box has never been something that impressed me about the Remington 700 but they have been the gunsmith's darlings for generations and rifle guys grew up tweaking them to make them shoot.

If you aren't emotionally attached why bother to screw around with a rifle instead of just taking it out of the box ready to go since they aren't even that pretty anymore. If you are headed for Africa to hunt big stuff buy a CZ, for deer or elk take your pick of a dozen different brands put on decent glass and go kill something. Remington still has brand loyal customers and always will that doesn't mean they can build crap for ever but it is still working based on this thread.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a gun case full of Remington 700s that have not been tweaked and all shoot well. Some shoot very well.

Many people tweak...because they are tweakers.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[quote=sigguy]Only the newer models. I was shocked myself. One was a local shop and the other was a Cabelas.

That's odd just picked one up new at the local Cabelas. And yes, it shoot as good or better than any of my other brands.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you buy a rifle and don't do any mods to it you are, well, weird. mtmuley

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Mauser12
[quote=sigguy]Only the newer models. I was shocked myself. One was a local shop and the other was a Cabelas.

That's odd just picked one up new at the local Cabelas. And yes, it shoot as good or better than any of my other brands.

Yeah Cabelas sells new 700's, they just won't take newer ones in on trade. I went to the one in Tulalip. They told me that they were concerned with the recalls and would need proof that my gun hadn't been affected, and even then would not offer a competitive price. Usually they are pretty easy to deal with and offer good trade in prices.

Are my experiences of trying to trade in a like new stainless 700 proof of a degradation of Remington's reputation? Not necessarily, however it will make me personally think twice about purchasing another for the time being.

This is not a judgement on the newer 700 accuracy, as mine have been great. The newer trigger is made from cheap pot metal, though IMO.

Last edited by sigguy; 07/03/15.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,098
Posts18,464,148
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.