Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I want to get a short 308 bolt rifle with detachable magazine. I thinking of 1 of the following:
1. Ruger GSR
2. Tikka CTR
3. Savage 11 Scout
4. Cough cough, the Mossberg MVP Scout.

The Ruger and Savages have all the features I like. The Tikka more than likely beats them all in accuracy and quality, hut has no open sites.
The Mossberg, well it takes M-14 mags ( I have an M1A). So what are the thoughts of the Fire.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a GSR synthetic, 4X Leupold and Norma TAC shoots 1MOA, Tikkas are great also, but different applications.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tikka

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'd buy a kimbers, install Talley's and a 6x42 with German #4...load up some Barnes TSSx and go hunting.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
How picky on accuracy?

I still try to never support anti gun Ruger to this day. Even though Bill is dead.

If accuracy is an big thing, I'd build what I wanted, Rem 700,have a TOP tube put on, and order an MC stock, whatever metal you want for the mga, and bed it all after you hvae the barrel on... you'll be lots happier in the end IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Tikka T3's and current Winchester Model 70's are probably the best thing out there short of a semi-custom rifle. Remington is to busy cutting corners to put out a consistent product. If you want a 700, I'd look for an older used one. Salvages are ugly and Mossberg is....well.....mossberg. My only gripe with the Ruger is lack of aftermarket options and the feel of the heavy firing pin when it fires.

Last edited by wareagle700; 07/03/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
700 with a new trigger and tube, ain't nothing to sneeze at, will outshoot any factory gun if done correctly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
700 with a new trigger and tube, ain't nothing to sneeze at, will outshoot any factory gun if done correctly.

Same could be said for pretty much any action though. Many of them not needing the extra TLC that Remingtons do.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What action can you buy that doesn't need TLC, for what cost?

You can buy a new 700 on sale at 299 generally at least a few times a year.

Sell the stock for something, up to 50 bucks, sell the trigger 25, sell the barrel 25-50

Leaves you paying 200 for an action...

If you can better my math let me know, I'm not averse to cahnge unless it pads the pocket of Ruger. As long as its as accurate and saving me money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never said it was cheaper to avoid Remington, just that I would rather have a different action given the available options. If you are paying for the work, it generally cost more to get a Remington up to par than it would to start with a custom action (assuming you can get one for 600-800). However, if you just want a rebarrel then it may be cheaper to go your route.

IC B3

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah, I am not a fan of Remington's. I really don't have a good reason why other than their stocks didn't fit. I know that can be changed, but I want a detachable mag.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
a good bolt gun doesn't wear a factory stock.

You ever get the M1 figured out, I think Paul is back, I need to remind him if you didn't figure it out yet.

Costs more to get a Rem trued? 200 for an action in the end, between 250 and 500 to true and what good custom action are we buying today for 700 ish give or take? You may well be right on this issue.

How many actually need a custom action?

Not trying to dis anyone, but looking at the campfire shooting thread, most everyone could get by with factory gun, floated and bedded and the right loads would do as well...me included lately.

Back to Viking, who cares what name is on the gun. Who cares what it looks like. Go to a show or shop and try them all, then buy what fits you best. If you are worried about cosmetics, then it really doesn't help to ask here, as it then needs to be what YOU want it to look like.

Performance is what it should be about.

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
No I haven't heard from anyone, about the M1.

Maybe I will have to look at a remmy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll send a note again right now RE the M1

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Thanks.

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
The SPS tactical has potential.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Tikka CTR is what you want. Definitely needs to be at the top of your list.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do a little research on the Remington 700 Mil-Spec 5R before you make up your mind. I bought one about 5 years ago and it is with out a doubt the most accurate out of the box rifle I've ever owned.

They come with a good stock on them from the factory and the barrels are good too. The only thing that needs attention is the trigger. It can be adjusted or replaced.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not the same but a few years back i bought a Mossy ATR in 308 for a barn/truck gun. It came with the rubbermaid handle and iron sights, the sights were the clincher. Those and the <300$ price.I had some accuracy issues and fought with it for a while until i sorted out the gremlins. Now its capable of sub 1" groups at 200 yd, 3 shot. i really don't care if i scratch it, it eats recoil and has become my favorite grab and go rifle. Sorta like Viking's one liner; sorta like a "good solid wife that aint pretty but will work all day and night".

Last edited by rogn; 07/06/15.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rogn
Not the same but a few years back i bought a Mossy ATR in 308 for a barn/truck gun. It came with the rubbermaid handle and iron sights, the sights were the clincher. Those and the <300$ price.I had some accuracy issues and fought with it for a while until i sorted out the gremlins. Now its capable of sub 1" groups at 200 yd, 3 shot. i really don't care if i scratch it, it eats recoil and has become my favorite grab and go rifle. Sorta like Viking's one liner; sorta like a "good solid wife that aint pretty but will work all day and night".

Second for the Mossberg

Was at the range last weekend. A buddy of mine bought one of the mvp 308 Mossbergs and put a top tier weaver target scope he had laying around on it. He was hitting a 4 inch gong at 300 yards off the bags, bipod and sitting with a sling.

100 yard groups were almost on par with my other friends issued Sniper rifle from the SP

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.