Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Friend of mine that works here with me put together a small caliber varminter for his wife.

It is a custom Contender Carbine by Match Grade Machine, and he had the barrel fluted in a Double Diamond flute pattern, and the flutes cerakoted in USMC Red...then had the stock cerakoted to match.

Only weighs around 7# scoped (Burris 4.5-14x).

Caliber is .17 Fireball....we're supposed to go out in a couple of weeks to give it a test drive.

I told him you definitely dint have to worry about laying it down somewhere and losing it. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

============================================================

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's a 'different strokes' kinda thing, I reckon. Hope the wife has better control of her gag reflex than I do.......grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I would ordinarily be quick to criticize...

But as long as Im packing the McFlame...Im living in a glass house! laugh

[Linked Image]

Go forth and slay stuff with the Red Rocket!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Hope the wife has better control of her gag reflex .......grin

Only kinda woman worth havin aint it? laugh laugh

she loves the fireball.......its maybe a tad "colorful" for me.

i gotta couple of tubes with some assorted fluting, but nothing quite so wild in the color scheme....do have a .411x444 being built that will have the flutes dome in Burnt Bronze cerakote, should be here in a few weeks, thats about as wild as i care to go.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
the barbwire rocks. but would suck in red.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You obviously have a thing for TCs...is it for all the regular reasons?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ingwe
You obviously have a thing for TCs...is it for all the regular reasons?

started doing some handgun hunting around 20 years ago, then gradually got into experimenting with more wildcat calibers in various sizes, in both carbine and pistol length barrels, so the TC's were a natural outlet for that.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They make a lot of sense for a lot of types of hunting. I never warmed up to them personally..but they have a proven track record for sure....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you one one of the guys on the Outdoor Channel?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hey...I have a TC Icon bolt gun. Saw guys on TV with them and thought it looked OK.

Only problem is that it takes about five minutes to get the safety off...... whistle

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
They make a lot of sense for a lot of types of hunting. I never warmed up to them personally..

That's because they suck in a rat patch. Or off sticks. Or a bench. Or most any type of volume shooting. The 'wife' will find that out soon enuff, when she takes the little furball to the PD town. But for the poor, broke phugger that can't afford a repeater, and takes a shot a year at a deer, they's the bees knees.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
dat was mean.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by huntsman22

That's because they suck in a rat patch. Or off sticks. Or a bench. Or most any type of volume shooting. The 'wife' will find that out soon enuff, when she takes the little furball to the PD town. But for the poor, broke phugger that can't afford a repeater, and takes a shot a year at a deer, they's the bees knees.

Yup, they do suck off the bench, i cant consistently make 3 bullet holes touch every time at a hundred....often on my barrels i gotta slum it at around 1/2 MOA or thereabouts.

The various deer/hogs/dogs/etc around here havent noticed they suck though, they still seem to fall over when shot....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I would contemplate a new nickname.

"My wife wore the barrel out on her Red Rocket" could be easily misconstrued.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It ain't ALL about accuracy, to me. Sometimes I just don't want to fiddle-fugg with the time it takes to lose sight picture AND reload with a break action. But that just me. And red ain't my color.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I used a Contender Carbine in .17 Mach2 .22 Hornet for gopher and prairie dog shooting for a couple years, but eventually grew really weary of opening, breaking and closing the action during 100's of rounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and here I thought I was the only one. But it didn't take me but one good long day in a dogtown. I could never have suffered like that for a 'couple YEARS', even if they are compact, easy to carry and accurate. There are accurate repeaters made every day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My own T/C, a product of Iowa deer hunting regulations and my disquieted mind. I want late season where only a "handgun" or mzlelr are legal. I have long ago fallen out of love for the charcoal burners and juggling components, so..

Our "handguns" must fire straight-walled cartridges, and not be fire from the shoulder. There is no limit on barrel length. This one is a full bull (thank goodness) and 18". Went right to Horn's Leverevolution bullets for more BC and hope to have a lay-down 200-250 yard deer thumper. By Bullberry in Utah; good work.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I used a Contender Carbine in .17 Mach2 .22 Hornet for gopher and prairie dog shooting for a couple years, but eventually grew really weary of opening, breaking and closing the action during 100's of rounds.

I personally wouldn't consider a single shot for PDs or Gophs....but a hunting buddy just had a wazoo 22PPC built on a single shot action for PDs.....

After this last trip Im wondering where I can enlist the services of a couple loaders, and installing detachable high-cap mags...

To each his own.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
huntsman,

It was by no means the ONLY rifle I used on gophers and PD's during those two years. It was one of several I was experimenting with, since unless I'm just going out for an hour or so there are at least 4-5 rifles along, and perhaps a handgun or two.

And I only used it intermittently even then because I'd inexpensively acquired a couple of barrels chambered in cartridges that needed to be experimented with. After getting rid of them I bought real rifles chambered in those two rounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.