Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Load testing my Jarrett 280 AI this morning with Nosler 150 gr Long Range Accubonds and got some crazy results. Earlier I had tried RL-22, H4831SC and 7828 to gauge its preferences. H4831SC gave me the best results. Now, on to load development, and here's where things got crazy.

All things were kept consistent for comparison sakes: same lot of Nosler custom brass, Fed210M primers, all seated to same length, etc. The only variable was powder charge, and here are my chronographed results:

Charge Velocity Ext. Spread Std Dev. Group Size
61.0 2923 39 19 1"
61.2 2902 13 0.8 0.23
61.5 2898 34 69 1.25
61.7 2898 50 27 1.25

Hoping to get about 3000 fps out of the H4831SC and was very encouraged by the 61.2 grain loading but the velocity readings left me scratching my head. I've never seen this in my 57 years.

I have heard LRAB's are somewhat sensitive to seating depth....have no idea if a different seating depth would impact things in a more linear manner.

Your thoughts??? Y'all have a great 4th.

Last edited by Godogs57; 07/04/15.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd run 61.2 in that COAL and not give a damn about any of the rest.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
How many shots fired with each powder charge, and what kind of chronograph?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
5 shot groups. Pro Chrono chronograph...had it about 4 years and it's never given me a problem.

I sure can't explain it. I'll leave this interpretation to the experts.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have an idea what the problem might be. If you will post or send me your raw MV data vs. charge, I'll check it for you.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please do. I've experienced velocity plateauing at or a little bit above max charge (book, taking listed/actual velocity into account) and then increasing. Best accuracy was at or approaching the beginning of the plateau which was a safe if hot charge so I stopped there. Actually load development was for a safe and effective hunting round with emphasis on safe, a little more velocity wasn't important. Didn't investigate further for a lack of time and instrumentation, had a theory but it escapes me now.

Or maybe what may be Mule Deer's thought, insufficient sample size. Sure looked like a trend repeating over two or more sessions but I may be fooling myself.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by denton
I have an idea what the problem might be. If you will post or send me your raw MV data vs. charge, I'll check it for you.

Denton if possible it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I'm no statistician and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night smile. It seems to me that with an average extreme spread of about 34 fps with a charge variation of only 0.7 grain at the 60+ grain level, the lower velocities at the higher charge weights might be within the expected variation.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That would also be my guess.

While ProChronos are good units for the money, the screen spacing is only a foot, which means the speed of each shot isn't exact. Plus, five rounds of each powder charge ain't much of a sample.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It seems to me that with an average extreme spread of about 34 fps with a charge variation of only 0.7 grain at the 60+ grain level, the lower velocities at the higher charge weights might be within the expected variation.

Exactly.

With the raw data, it would only take a minute to run ANOVA and find out if there is convincing evidence of real change. I'm skeptical that there is.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks so much for your input folks...much appreciated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too little difference in powder weight and too few rounds fired. Kinda like sloppily throwing a powder charge from a powder thrower with the charge weights weights having + or - a half grain of powder either way. Much like cronographing factory loads. For all intensive purposes they may as well be mixed together and called the same load.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bushrat
For all intensive purposes they may as well be mixed together and called the same load.

For all intents and purposes, I would think for all intensive purposes you would want more uniformity than that...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Let me guess,

You have a short barreled rifle?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It wouldn't have to be very short. Nosler lists a maximum velocity for 150's and 60.5 H4831SC of 2994 fps--in a 26" barrel. The 150 ABLR has a shorter bearing surface than any other Nosler 150, so would produce less pressure and velocity.

Once again I'll comment that 5 shots per powder charge is too little to come to any conclusions. I wouldn't even bother figuring standard deviation with only 5 rounds, especially in a short chronograph at an open-air range. SD only starts to have some validity after at least 10 rounds under very controlled conditions.

Have also seen way too many single "first groups." whether 3-shot or 5-shot, that couldn't be reproduced after firing several groups.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
John, I've seen this same phenoneme before with H4831, 130gr bullets and short barreled .270 Win. After a point, it just didn't matter how much powder was poured to it, the velocity would not rise, but fall of slightly. In the longer barrel rifles velocity continued to rise.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Interesting. I’ve had a couple short-barreled .270’s (20” and 21”), and in both the velocity kept rising as I added more H4831. Easily got 3000+ with 13- Hornady Interlocks in the 20” barrel with 60.0 grains.

One thing Phil Sharpe recorded when doing velocity experiments while shortening barrels and chronographing the same load in each one was sometimes the velocity was HIGHER when he shortened the barrel an inch. He shot long strings so it wasn’t due to too few shots. His guess was the inch he’d just cut off included a loose spot in the bore.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
John, I've seen shorter barrels out perform longer barrel at specific charge weights as well.

In one example we had .270's with 22, 24, and 26: barrels.

In the 24" with 150gr bullet, if we backed the loads off, the 22" would give higher velocities, but at max, the 24" once again delivered higher velocities.

Usually these test you refer to are run at a fixed powder charge, so the experimenter failed to notice some of these dynamics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting you mentioned H4831. I was using H4831SC in a 6mm Rem. with 100 grain Sierras, 24 inch barrel. Wish I still had all the data. Still, there wasn't enough for more than a tantalizing tease, could have been an illusion.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just recently had some similar data results with large spreads while shooting thru a Chrony with light shields in the mid morning. I believe the issue was with the shields not staying secured and sun light coming thru some trees. Did not have enough ammo to do any experimenting with the chrony.

I have seen loads run out of gas with 4831 as the charge went up also.

As far as I am concerned, 5 data readings are adequate to tell you something. Statistics are a good tool, but going to the nth degree never was meaningful to me when I ran manufacturing or with chronographs at the range. You don't have to go to three decimal places to know what is going on.

What does the data from the original post show for ave vel when you throw out the high and low of each 5 shot string????

What happens when the experiment is repeated????

If your equipment is not that repeatable/exact (scale, chrony,) then I personally would have little use for more data.

Just me, and I am just a hobbyist/hunter shooter.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.