Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm in no way angry. I'm just trying to cut through the BS. I've spent the money and burnt many pounds of powder through AI rifles to get where I am, and would like to pass on my knowledge to those who may be interested. Without any of the pie in the sky ideas about what an AI will or won't do.

It's just a cartridge design with a minute bit of difference over standard rounds, the advantage of which exists mostly in the buyer's head. I liken it to installing a K&N air filter on a vehicle and thinking one will actually notice the difference in horsepower. Around the same % increase. Yet completely unnoticeable, whether on the highway with the vehicle or in the hills with the rifle.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jim,

"Prairie goat" is one of the loonier rifle loonies I've known, and has been since he was quite young. He's given more rifles and cartridges a try than most men twice his age, and not only has used them plenty in the field but really knows how to shoot.

I've been the purchaser of some of his cast-offs, which broadened my own base of knowledge. In fact he has a rifle I purchased from him waiting for me to pick up right now. He satisfied his curiosity about it, and since I was thinking about buying that exact rifle anyway it's now going to be mine until my curiosity is satisfied.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My foray into the AI zone came purely because I got the rifle almost for free and intended to sell off the near new stainless medium contour Shilen barrel and use the action for a 6.5x55.

Of course I made the mistake of shooting it didn't I? Three shot groups at 125 y below, while adjusting the scope for zero...

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have had AIs... If you are fire-forming raw cases anyway to your particular chamber, then the velocity bump is nice, if you forego the cost of Friday nite pizza and drinks for a few weeks.

Am down to a 280AI, which is no longer an AI in the traditional sense but just another cartridge, as there are factory rifles, brass and real loading book data available.

Defend the Constitution
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
I was doing a Google search about Ackley Improved. Was looking up 243 to 243 AI. Come across a few things people had wrote from various forums saying there are no real advantage to doing this. So thought I would get some opinions and if anyone has had one reamed for AI. Never had one done but if one had a 243 in a tikka t3 what are the steps for a gunsmith to go AI.

The whole Ackley improved thing is overblown, and if you want
bigger performance, go with a larger caliber.

All you will do is spend lots more money for not much gain.

What is your suggestion for a better performing .243?

Dave

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Start with the definition of "better"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6mm Rem for horsepower, but do your homework first.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hmmm, case capacity in the 6mm Rem seems similar to the .243AI....how curious...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDW
I was doing a Google search about Ackley Improved. Was looking up 243 to 243 AI. Come across a few things people had wrote from various forums saying there are no real advantage to doing this. So thought I would get some opinions and if anyone has had one reamed for AI. Never had one done but if one had a 243 in a tikka t3 what are the steps for a gunsmith to go AI.

As with engines, if you want more performance you've got to run 'em either bigger or hotter, there's no free lunch.

6-284 or 6-06 or 6 SAUM/WSM or 6???????

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too right 260R, no free lunch, everything is a trade off.

Buy a barrel vice and a lathe if you're going to run some of those cartridges.

IC B3

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Start with the definition of "better"

Waiting on Farmboy to clarify "better".

Dave

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RDW

.240 Wby

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by RDW

.240 Wby

.260Rem?
"Improvement" is subjective, maximizing case capacity and loading to higher pressure or a larger bore on the same case could both be called "Improved".
Different people, different goals,
Carry on.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This schit is always fhuqking funny! Crack the door just a smidge and every Drooling Dumbfhuqk takes it as ripe opportunity to expound upon their incredible stupidity. Wait long enough and someone will toss ratios/formulas,then Whine about pressures. Hint.

Now if only in fairness,I've either got or have shot every chambering thus far cited and more than a few that ain't been mentioned yet. Hint.

Simply put,the schittier the parent vessel,the better the yield on the literal Improvement. I realize that is far too crystalline for the Paper Hat Brigade to fathom,which just might be the point. Hint.

Delving deeper yet,there can be some very nice mechanical transformations yielded,that enable Precision benefits devoid the parent's abilities(amongst other layers of frosting inherent the change). Read that again,now one more time.

Coming full circle,Boolits matter far more than headstamps and the Coke Bottle glassed Ping Pong Ball Crowd will never realize same,if only because even in their assembled mass...they don't shoot enough to have a single fhuqking clue about anything. That sorta humor ain't to be slighted and is in fact routinely magnificent in both it's volume and splendor. Hint.

To the chagrin of that same "hard charging" crowd,twist rate and throating are key players too. Give a Drooling Dumbfhuqk some bandwidth and they'll espouse something as hilarious as "240Wby",less a single fhuqking clue about the piece of schit chambering,the piece of schit rifles offered in it,let alone their schitty fhuqking throats and schitty fhuqking twist rates. The chambering is easy to slap silly in a short action,with vastly superior brass of vastly superior case design,if only for starters. Though Window Lickers are exceedingly quick to laude noise,fire and recoil...as salve for Ping Pong Ball BC's. Laffin'!

So let's come full circle in regards to the OP. He plainly cites a query in regards of going SAAMI 243 to 243AI and then the Dumbfhuqkery starts flowing freely. Again,because boolits matter more than headstamps and because noone ACTUALLY fhuqking shoots,he is "rewarded" with multiple pages of cluelessness and less any insight. Simply put,Tikka's suck heavy ass in both 243 and 243AI...due simply to their 1-10" twist rate. Tough to get giddy about dumping even modest loot in an OEM spout,that is designed EXPRESSLY,to deny the best boolits available in it's bore sizing. Such things,make "decisions" rather easy,as it's never not about the big peecture. Read that again,now one more time. Hint.

As per chamberings cited,the SAAMI 243Win is simply a fhuqking Monster and that is the most warmest of fuzzies. Procure a 77,Roaring Lion or 700 chambered same and you get a .547BC at 3000fps,as a minimum. Punch it out and you reap some nice internal Ballistic VooDoo which quells ES/SD and are granted another 150fps minimum. Of course I don't know anyone who pulls plug wires on either chambering(de-tuning pressure),but apparently such practices are held in high esteem by the Haybale & Crockett Crowd. Why in the fhuqk someone would shoot one design at higher pressure(s) than the other,is beyond me,but Droolers cited it...so I reckon they do. Congratulations?!? Funny schit!

The 243Win is an easy chambering to ring the bell with,due it's lineage and logistics. It is no thang to gun false shoulders outta the gate,to ring the bell with every press of the trigger. As hinted at prior,the 243AI is assuredly a vessel of greater capacity and it do in fact dupe 6mmRem internals,though in a form that slaps the fhuqking schit outta same. Very easy to set up a 2.815" OEM box(Big Green),to smooch an upper echelon BC 105 and have breathing(throat chasing) room to spare. DBM's are a breeze too,however one wishes to scratch the itch. A light done right 22" 243AI whistlin' 105's at 3200fps,slaps the dog fhuqking schit outta the 240Wby. Read that again,now one more time. Hint.

Cheer up,I've suffered the 6mmRem and 6mmRemAI and both suck ass. Hint.

To only offer a few more HINTS,the best performing .243" will never be one that isn't twisted to shoot the BEST projectiles in it's diameter. Hint. In this day and age 9" is the cusp(depending upon lineal velocity),8" being a sure thing(even in a 20" 6BR) and the ONLY fhuqking way boolits get better...is by getting longer. Please understand that nobody has more disdain for SMK's than I,so D-Tacs are soooooo far offa the fhuqking radar,so as to not even rate their mention. Ooops! Laffin'!

It remains hilarious,that folks shop rifles by headstamps,though nothing matters more than boolits. Read that again slowly,now one more time. Very easy to sort through twist rates and KNOW in advance what will shine brightest and more importantly why. Re-hint. If suffering schit twist,then opt the best rifle. As 1-10" 243Win's go,that is simply a Montucky landslide and rest assured it's throat will smooch it's best pitch and the magbox will nestle same,with a 90 Skinner at 3300fps on the nose and forgivin' wiggle room. Re-re-hint. Now as a not so fhuqking curious aside and despite a .434 G1 BC,that melding will slap the [bleep] dogschit outta all 240Wby Factory Fodder,even though the 240 is assuredly rocking greater chamber pressures. Re-re-re-hint. Funny how it actually works and I mean fhuqking funny!

It goes without saying that The Do Nothing Gang shoots their mouths more than anything else and I've oft wondered just how fhuqking "loud" their Imaginations are,when they fire them?!? Laffin'! If only BC's "didn't matter",that all things were "equal",twist rates are "moot" and COAL were "meaningless". Re-laffin'!

Ignorance IS Bliss and there are some amazingly fhuqking Blissed Dumbfhuqks here. Wow! I personally take great satisfaction in driving a shoulder to headspace in K-Hornet and groove on the newfound velocity(especially via the long rationed stash of 32V-Max at 3450fps in a 20" OEM 77/22 lop/chop/punchout). The 223AI is simply a GIANT Killer and do things all outta proportion to it's modest shadow. A .435 BC at 3100fps+ in a 21" spout,will cover alotta territory(that's what we in the bidness call "gross understatement"). Hint.

The 22-250AI is another PRIZE. You reap Swift case capacity,at a farrrrrrrrr more favorable COAL and with vastly superior brass and case design. Though in fairness,noone has shot more Swift than I. A 23" spout will make an easy 3450fps with same,leaving tace/impact literally staring one in the face,even in a Flyweight(Montucky contour dupe). I don't much care for the CHeetah,if only because I've suffered a few...22-250AI is the threshold in .224". The 250AI is a friendly chambering and to the chagrin of many,it too outpaces it's parent. Mighta heard good thangs about 25-06AI too and the advantage of an extry round in the belly,over the 257Wby and 100 XLC's at 3600fps in a 24". Not that I haven't shot out more than a few barrels in .532" with 100's at 3750fps. Laffin'!

The 284Win and it's spawn came outta the egg very Improvederish in issued guise and one only needs to neck it down,to ring the bell. Have only built rifles in 284,25-284 and 6-284,all less a tinge of regret and all S/A based. A 23" 6-284 will squirt .547 BC's at 3300fps+. Hint.

The 7-08AI will reliably outpace a SAAMI Magnificent Seven and 162's at 2850fps in a S/A wearing a smooch,do not suck. Hell...there ain't even any flies on the 375H&H AI,though I've only had a coupla them. Rest assured a 300H&H won't run with a 30-8mmRemMag nor close,if only because I've them t-shirts too.

I for one appreciate the oblivious humor extolled in these heartfelt replies,as The Do Nothing Gang simply does their "best" and starts talkin' "particulars" and"all" the Imaginary water that's flowed beneath their Pretend bridges.

Don't let the cat get your tongues,nor the couch your kchunts.

You've been led to water and I HOPE nobody partakes.

Laffin'!

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
So boxer do you actually like AI

Tater
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
A few really benifet but most ar not worth the effort....

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In the world of make-believe, Boxer is an expert.. A legend in his own mind, for sure. He's right about the bullets (I assume that is the component to which he was referring) being far more important than the case when it comes to real-world (a place he must occasionally glimpse) performance. GD

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
As usual, Bill, (GD) hits the mark........spot on!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> grin<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'300,

Pereception assuredly is NOT your gig.

Wow.

Laffin'!

'rifleco,

PLEASE cite the Good 'Un's,as opposed to the Bad 'Un's,being sure to muse boolits,twist,throat and COAL.

[Linked Image]

It'll be funny.

Hint.

'dog,

Ain't it poignantly poetic and an intellesting dichotomy,that the ONLY time you ring the bell,is when you cite,quote and agree with me?

You've yet to manage anything resembling solid ground,when trying by yourself...but now is a GREAT fhuqking time to please find me "mistaken" and I'll oblige you by rubbing your nose even further in your own STUPIDITY. Pardon my being afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess,while a guess is the most you can muster,while flying solo.

You Drooling Clueless Dumbfhuqks are a hoot!

Humor Points graciously awarded in advance,for citing chamberings,twist rates,throat geometry and COAL latitude,in conjunction with your "experience","knowledge" and their collective "results".

Now don't let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt,as you slither away in the resolve of someday attaining your first fhuqking clue. That day ain't today,Toots.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Laffin'!

"SNAP",

Is that the sound your Imagination makes,when it musters Pretend?!?

I'm curious,what sound(s) does that hollow mass and all 13 of your IQ Points in conjunction make,when asked the simple question of which chambering(s) cited,might you dare reference in the firsthand? Laffin'!

Silence can be rather "loud".

You sappy simpleton dumbfhuqk.

'nut,

Have never seen or heard of a "223AI",especially in 7,8,9,10,12 ort 14" twist rates and/or contours from Montucky dupe to straight 1.350" Bull.

"Tell" me about the chambering.

Thanks!

Laffin'!

Now if only in fairness,for the couple folks in the World,who ACTUALLY fhuqking shoot...this might could be of interest.

AM offers both 5 and 10rd AICS footprint DBM mags and the 10's are a PIA,for default Utility(as confirmed by suffering actual AICS 10rd poly's and their great length).

Anywhoo,the AM's ship at 2.375" COAL,which is a start and would do 12/14" twists "proud",if such a thing is possible,with Ping Pong Balls. The steel mags wear a poly insert,cast in halves that index on a pin,that is both robust and foolproof,so nothing can get out of time. Nor is there ANY wiggle in the vertical plane. Sound concept +P++.

[Linked Image]

Once opened,all is evident.

[Linked Image]

The COAL obstacle modest and a breeze to mod,as per whim.

[Linked Image]

2.500" is a nice place to be,though yet .050" shy of OEM AICS poly COAL. I've only a single offender in the herd,that requires more than 2.500"(OEM LTR punched)...but swung the door open so all could play on the next attempt.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

On the next,I simply stoked the belly with (5) rounds of SAAMI O/F and chased the offense,with an endmill bit. Seconds later,2.550" was a breeze. hint.

[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/661/Ywlwc3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/661/KDYhQk.jpg[/img]

You Drooling Do Nothing Dumbfhuqks can now nod,like you savvy what the fhuqk.

Laffin'!

Thank me later.

You've been led to water.

Hint.

P.S and by the way,when I had AM on the horn to order(they will in fact ship Flat Rate if you talk purty on the phone),Gary made mention that their OEM 6BR mags will be unveiled at SHOT. I asked about COAL and he cited SAAMI 2.2" and small change,then I laughed. I told him 2.400" will do nice thangs and he said that he savvied.

For the couple folks who do shoot and can smell the excellence,that COAL dimension(or greater),might be some sold firsthand feedback to toss in the fray,pre-SHOT.

I just took a bow.

Laffin'!

Oh my...Kchuntfest Continues!

peeshooter,

You simply haven't the faculties to garner the facts,or otherwise you'd be thanking me for the 100% crystalline Tutorial. Cite the words that were too "big" or too "fancy" for you. Laffin'!

Your STUPIDITY,is all on you.

Hint.

Rest assured,if I bother to submit it,you'll wanna write it down and apply...even though you honestly do not know why.

Re-hint.

'dog,

You were NEARLY brazen enough,to say something about a rifle...yet even someone as fhuqking STUPID as you,KNOWS better.

Fascinating reflection by you,that your talking out your ass,somehow "stirs" an Imaginary pot?!? Your delusions are a fhuqking hoot!

I'll feign my "surprise",that you remain unable to find me "mistaken".

You Do Nothing Dumbfhuqks are a riot!

Laffin'!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.