Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hello Everyone!
I am leaving in a couple of weeks for our first trip to YNP with my two daughters. I've read everything I can find about the area, but would appreciate any info, tips, warnings, etc. Planning on being there about a week tent camping. Photography, hiking, mountain biking, and fishing are on the agenda. Any input is welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 30Herrett; 07/04/15.

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bring bear spray. Or you can buy it when you get here. Everyone sells it. Plan on using it, but you probably won't.

Plan on waiting for hours along the road if someone sees a chipmunk. Days if they see a large animal.

The animals are wild. Don't try to pet the bison. They are cranky and don't like to be touched. Or like you near them to take a picture.

Bring warm clothing. If you don't you'll end up buying some here. It can get cold, especially at night. Even in July. Been warm here in the lower country (about 5,000') the past couple of weeks, though nights can be chilly just before dawn.

Plan on spending a day at the Buffalo Bill Historical Center if you have the time. The firearms museum is pretty interesting. An extra hour or two will get you through the Dug Up Gun Museum. It's pretty interesting as well.

You'll see some of the most unique country anywhere. Unlike you can imagine. Like every natural wonder I've ever seen, pictures don't do it justice. A trip over Dead Indian Pass and into Sunlight Basin is well worth the effort.

Albertson's in Cody is the best place to get your grub, although we have a Walmart if you have to.

A side trip down the South Fork is beautiful and different country than you'll see in Yellowstone.

If you come from the south you'll go through the Wind River Canyon just before Thermopolis. Stop and see the worlds largest hot springs there. If you have time, take a swim at one of the many pools. The water smells like rotten eggs (H2S, hydrogen sulfide) and will turn silver black.

The Irma Hotel is one of the places many stop and see in Cody. Built by Buffalo Bill and named after his daughter, it's one of the places a lot of folks drop in for a meal.

I might think of more later. Shoot me a PM and let me know when you'll be through. I might be able to show you around.

David

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fablous trip for a family - plan to take an extra day or two - partly due to so much to see and partly due to crowd delays. Paladin really nailed it on advice about the trip. Took our three youngest on on a 6 week RV trip from here in NY to Yellowstone about 13 years ago - trip of a lifetime for them - they still talk about it. The wild burros are cool and some huge Elk near the road. Drive slow(you may not have a choice) and keep your eyes peeled and you will see Tons of wildlife.
The Buffalo Bill Center is great!! You will love it - we were there the day Bill Ruger died and they were unsure what would happen to the Rugers displayed there.

Follow up with Paladin - Gun people are Good people and it helps to have some local imput.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paladin

A trip over Dead Indian Pass and into Sunlight Basin is well worth the effort.

This.

Many overlook the NE park of the park, it's our favorite.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Try camping outside the park.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Until you've been there it is hard to grasp the size of the place. On our 1st trip we drove 80 miles from the entrance to our campground. Gas used to be a lot more expensive inside the park and I doubt that has changed. I was last there 10 years ago. Same with any gifts etc. We bought T-shirts etc. for the kids in Gardner and West Yellowstone literally within sight of the park for 1/2 the price and no sales tax. Bought all of our gas there too.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where were the wild burros?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I was there for the first time last week. It was pretty amazing.

We saw all the the major wildlife except moose. My favorite area was the west thumb and the grand canyon. Old faithful didn't do much for me but being YNP, you gotta see it. I didn't carry bear spray but I did carry a 40cal. Figured it to be more effective than pepper spray.

We also stayed on the grand Teton NP. We camped while on GTNP and YNP. I'd do it again but not jumping from site to site if I can help it.

We also left through Cooke coty/silver gate and took the bear tooth pass. Beautiful!! To say the least. We had a week....I wish we had 3.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh yeah...Paladanis right. Bring a few warm clothes. It was 75-85 during the day and 35 after the sun went down.

Camp is where you make it.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Paladin nailed it. Don't plan on getting anywhere in the park quickly, and that's okay. Just relax and enjoy.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Bring a raincoat.....and or.......

wait till after Labor Day when the tourists are gone........ grin

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Where were the wild burros?

He must be confusing Custer State Park in South Dakota and YNP. Many people hit the Black Hills before heading to YNP.

Here's my suggestions:

Take the Hike down the rim of Upper Falls in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. The force of the water going over the edge is exhilarating.

Don't ignore Grand Teton National Park. Grand Teton starts about 12 miles south of the South Gate of YNP. The Tetons are one of the World's wonders. Plan one day for GTNP and try for a morning float trip on the snake. You can book it through many places, but if you book it though the Jackson Lake Lodge, you won't have to go all the way into Jackson to meet the busses that take you to where they put in.

Do walk the boardwalk trails in the geyser basins. You never know when you will be treated to the eruption of a sporadic and unpredictable geyser and the farther you walk away from the mail parking areas, the fewer people you'll run into.

Swim in the Firehole River. Yes there will be quite a few people, but go earlier in the day.

You'll see lots of walking sticks with bear bells. Bear pepper-spray also. Watch for bear scat. You'll recognize it because it has little bells in it and smells of pepper.

Go to Old Faithful early in the morning to avoid the crowds and then walk the geyser basin -- Early means whenever is is expected to erupt before 8 a.m. I've witnessed Old Faithful with the company of 50 people and with the company of 1,000. The former is MUCH more desirable.

Have fun!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Take a red cape and play Matador with the bison!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Don't miss the Old Faithful Lodge. It is a wonder to see all the log work. Since you are camping, if you can work it out, see if you can get a leftover cabin or room there for a shower one night. The plus side of that is that you can only get reservations in the lodge dining room if you are a guest. You didn't say how old daughters are; a bit older and they appreciate fine dining more. One of the best meals ever for the wife and me, complete with wine and dessert for a reasonable price. We have never made it to Mammoth yet. Thermopolis has an old hotel if you are so inclined with a private pool.

I am jealous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't bother with sprays or guns right now. The buff, and asian drivers are way more dangerous..

Get out early, early, to see wildlife before the heat puts them to bed.

Take your time.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
NE portion of the park is my fave too. This time of year it is worth a drive out the NE entrance, over Cooke city Pass and into Red Lodge. Screw the towns on both ends, the pass itself is what the trip is about.You will NEVER see better scenery.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
NE portion of the park is my fave too. This time of year it is worth a drive out the NE entrance, over Cooke city Pass and into Red Lodge. Screw the towns on both ends, the pass itself is what the trip is about.You will NEVER see better scenery.

Exactly what ingwe says. I have made that rip many times as it is close to home and still the best part of a trip either to or from the park!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We really like the Lamar Valley for seeing animals.

We tented it at Slough Creek and Pebble Creek a numbers of times and loved those places. Tough to get a spot anymore though unless you arrive early or at just the right time.

Bring warm clothes and sleeping bags for evenings/nights.

Mosquito spray can be real handy for some areas.

Bring optics, a spotting scope is real nice also if you want to see game.

If you're going to hike much, which I recommend, some bear spray might be worth having along.

Take your time. Don't rush, soak it in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny

Bring optics, a spotting scope is real nice also if you want to see game.

Yep. Everyone in the family should have their own binos too. Stops that "let me see now" grin

It's going to be a great trip I'm sure.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Advice.
Don't fall in.
laugh

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,467
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.