Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Does anyone run peep sights on combination guns. I have a savage 24 in 30-30/12 and was thinking a nice peep sight would be ideal for it. Any input? Thanks

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only like these...but a folding receiver sight would rate a two cool on that Savage 24, IMO. cool cool

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've had occasion to use the peeps on each of these three guns and was glad to have had them available.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
If the 24 had the wood stock that would look sharp, with the black synthetic I am thinking something a little more simple. Those are some gorgeous guns

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Those are some gorgeous guns

I have to say I shot as much game with a Savage 24 20ga/30-30 as with all of my other guns. I got it the first year Savage offered it and was a young hunting fool back then. I gave it to a buddy in SE Alaska who has shot a moose, many deer, a Bunch of forest grouse, and a few ptarmigan with it in his travels around the State. IMO there is no more useful and versatile gun for the price. I much prefer them to the CZ and BRNO BBF guns at 2-4 times the cost.

I can't see much downside to a good folding tang sight on your Savage. wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here's an older 24 in .22/.410 that I am prepping for my 12 y/o grandson.
Actually I had the little combo D&T for a peep because of the frail and always-drifting rear sight Savage put on these. They changed to a dual dove-tail unit awhile later, but they weren't much better.

The front sight is off because I thought it would need a higher front sight – like the installation of the barrel slot mounted RE-24 Redfield for later 24's

Anyway, the factory front sight will work here with the Lyman 53D without alteration. I haven't reinstalled it.

BTW: The hammer extention is not for a scope. Its to make the 24 easier to cock for a youngster.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a 22WMR/20 gauge that I had an RE 24 on. It had the grooves in the barrel to accept that sight. It was a perfect combination. I did need to put in a little piece to raise the front sight. I got that from Numrich Arms. My gun spent a lot of time behind the front door and accounted for a lot of groundhogs and other stuff, including some livestock that needed to be put down. Of course I sold it and now wish I had it back. If you can find one, those little RE24's are the bees knees. I always wondered if there was a sight that would fit those holes on the receiver, but I could never find one.
Good Luck
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Back to the OP's question: I don't know if the Lyman 53 will work on the 24V. Believe the 24V has a wider receiver, so the windage arm on the sight would have to be a bit longer in its span across the receiver so the aperture would be properly centered. You might want to ask Lyman or Williams if there is a suggested sight for the 24V.
Unfortunately, the receiver sights of these 2 manuf are mostly aluminun in construction. I prefer the old steel sights.

Irving: I have another 53 that I'll check to see if it could work on my 24V. Also, my guess is that a flat/left side sight for a Mod 92 or 94 Win (or similar)might be able to be altered to fit. Hope others may chime in with data for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MAN! laugh

cool cool
I love what you did with that 24, Don. It's still trim and uncluttered, and I use hammer extensions to this day. They're much faster than feeling for a small spur.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Below are pics of my 24V with the Lyman 53. A close-up would be better to show that the base would fit nicely, but the elevation slide/arm needs to be a bit longer; both in the elevation side and the windage reach across the receiver. Lyman made an assortment of 53 models and likely made longer a slide.

I also tried a flat-based Redfield (dunno the Model number), but it has a longer slide and screw/turret adjustments. It fits nicely and is a better sight than the 53, but is going to need a higher front sight.
Here again a call to a couple of the sight manuf or even Tech Support at Brownells may get some better info.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for the input. That's exactly the set up I am going for Don.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (450yukon, 30Gibbs, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 35sambar, 345dl, 25 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.