Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Back story: My wife and I are not big on giving each other fancy gifts for every birthday, Christmas, anniversary that comes along. My wife is an "easy keeper" and I am truly blessed to have her. Last fall she had a hankering for a digital sewing machine. After talking with her a bit, I clandestinely purchased a VERY nice digital machine for her for Christmas. We agreed that the machine would be her Christmas / Birthday / Anniversary / present for the year. Happy wife, happy life. We agreed that I would purchase a nice rifle when the opportunity arose. grin

Then, early this year, along came ShortActionSmoker's group buy for the MRC Short Action X2 rifles chambered in .260 Rem. I liked everything about the group buy rifles except the chambering. I have had multiple .243's, 7mm-08's and .308's. The .260 just did not interest me. However, had never had a rifle chambered 6.5x55 Swede. The wheels started turning. Emails exchanged with Darrik. And eventually had a plan. Darrik worked with me to special order a LH MRC X2 Long Action chambered 6.5x55, with all other spec's (color, barrel, stainless) being the same as the group buy. It finally came in this week. Arrived at SAS's shop on my anniversary ! I made a road trip yesterday down to Whittaker's to claim it.

First impressions:

Packaging: I think a new MRC rifle could fall off the back of a truck at 70 mph and not get a scratch on it unless the truck behind it ran over it. Double boxed. Heavy corrugated. Thick closed cell foam. WELL packaged.

Dimensions: 43" OAL. Barrel is right at 22" from bolt face to crown. Measures 0.605" at the muzzle. LOP right at 13.5". Weight is 7lbs, 7.5oz on my scale. 30oz for the stock. 5lbs, 9.5oz for the barreled action with bottom metal. Trigger pull a smidge over 3lbs.

Big change for the X2 is the stock ergos. MRC switched from B&C to making their own. They got it… Fore end is thin, comparable to the Rem KS stocks. Wrist is actually thinner than the wrist on a KS stock. I like it! I had just handled another rifle at Whittaker's that had a B&C stock. And it felt like a club compared to the X2 stock. The stock finish also has enough texture to it to be "grippy" even before the specks are applied. No need for shark bite on this one.

It looks like the barreled action is bedded to the stock, disassembled, and then final stock finish is applied. Two results: First, there is no visible bedding when the rifle is fully assembled. You have to disassemble the rifle to see that it has actually been bedded. Second, this results in a VERY tight set up when it is all bolted together. no movement/slop that I could detect. And a good bit of effort to separate the barreled action from the stock. I have not fired it yet. But am not expecting to see any signs' of movement. Barrel is free floated back to the bedding under the barrel shank.

Overall very pleased with the rifle. Unfortunately, I did not find the charger for my digital camera until late last night. I did take a couple cell phone pics between rain showers. However, they do not do it justice. I will post up pics tonight or tomorrow.

Last comment is the bolt. When the bolt is full forward, out of battery, as you raise the muzzle of the rifle, the bolt will glide back to the bolt stop before the muzzle is elevated to 30 degrees. Very smooth. All of my other rifles are somewhere between 45 degrees and vertical before they slide back on their own.

Gotta run. Will work today to get a scope mounted and start busting caps.

Last edited by Orion2000; 07/03/15.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a great rifle. I'm interested to see the pics and hear a range report. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good to hear!! I was actually contemplating ordering one myself but will wait to see what the next group buy offering is. Looking forward to your pics.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Sounds like a beauty.

LH Rich

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thats a nice lookin rig!! Whats going on top?

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's the exact rifle I want. Was gonna email MRC and find out if they made a Lefty x2 yet as the site said coming soon. I was even gonna ask about getting the barrel fluted. Nice rifle! If you don't mind me asking, what are they running as far as MSRP? Congrats!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Certainly looks excellent. Be good to see the range reports.

How long is the mag box? The 7x57 is very appealing...

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
@Dude - Mounted Leupold QR bases last night. First scope will be a VXIII 4.5x14 for accuracy check/load development. Long term will probably be VX3 2.5x8. Only concern is that there will not be much adjustment left for eye relief given the short tube on the 2.5x8, even with extended front ring.

@Hawk - Get in touch with ShortActionSmoker (Darrik at Whittaker Guns). He can work out the details with you. Keep In Mind, this was not a group buy rifle. Everything was custom ordered (ala carte).

@Jason - Max COAL is approx 3.5" with a spacer welded into the mag box (ala Winchester). That is plenty for the 6.5x55, 7x57, .30-06, etc. Looking at it, I would assume that you could order a mag box and follower for the full 3.6" if desired. I will try to measure it if I take it apart again.

FWIW, Even tho the mag box is "snug" in the stock when assembled, visual inspection appears that the mag box is approx 0.040" shy of bottoming out and binding on the bottom metal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice! Great looking stick right there...

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Extremely nice. Thanks for posting pictures. I'd love to have a 9.3x62mm built just like that one!!!! From what's been posted, these MRC's shoot damn good too. Keep us posted on how she shoots..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
O.K. All the activity with the group buy .260's finally got me motivated to get out and do load development for my MRC 6.5x55. Using my home made dummy cartridge with split neck, 123gr Scenars bottomed out right around 3.030" COAL. I've always heard good things about Lapua Scenars, and I've always liked Varget. So, 27 rounds later, here's where I ended up:

Lapua 123gr Scenars
3.020" COAL
39.0gr Varget (Hodgdon max)
Hornady Brass
Federal GMM 210 primers

Shoots like this:

[Linked Image]

For whatever reason, I started off at 3.005" COAL and eventually figured out I needed to get closer to the rifling. Could have saved myself some time and powder. Also have some 160gr pills to try out the 1:8" twist. But, the wind started to pick up, so called it a day.

I am not a great bench rest shooter. Given that this is the same spec barrel as the group buy, I expect that there will be several group buy members shooting significantly smaller groups once they get their .260's dialed in...

Anticipation... grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice! You're going to have some fun with that rifle!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 42 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.