Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Another question that gave a lot of my students grief on exams:

What post-bellum event led to the first concerted reconciliation efforts between the North and South? Why?

The Spanish American War?

Correct. It was the War O' 98. Now why? What elements in that war drove the reconciliation?

A common foe, imperialistic nationalism, and so on and so forth. It was the first instance of significant numbers of US troops being in the south since Reconstruction. Lots of southerners and northerners fought together and formed relationships. Plus, with no standing army to speak of, the government was still heavily dependent on volunteers and HAD to foster a feeling of reconciliation to get the south fully on board and behind the effort.

Good. Now, what was the main thing, the final little bit that really sweetened the pot and brought the South enthusiastically on board with the war plan?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some more stuff.

After you work through the Tindall and Shi history book up to 1861 its time to move on to different sources. Oh, you should probably have at a minimum of 100 pages of typewritten or 200- 250 pages of hand written reading notes if you're doing the historian thing.

Now, that you have laid the foundation (you might want to think of being an Historian as partially the process of layering up a cake or a brick wall) its time to start building upon it.

First, attack as much primary source material as you can lay hand on. Remember that these sources will likely be localized or regionalized.

I would recommend starting with the newspapers dating back to at least 1835 if possible. Many towns did not have a paper in those days so concentrate in general terms on the bigger cities.

I would try to get at least two from North, South, and West.

Say the Boston and/or NYC papers. Baltimore and Richmond. Atlanta and New Orleans. St.Louis and Kansas City, etc.

The majority of these papers are available on microfilm and can be accessed via the Inter-library Loan system at public libraries, or community college and university libraries. For the most part librarians at the collegiate libraries are really happy to help and help you learn to use a microfilm reader.

Hitting the newspapers will let you see what and how people were thinking about things. Look especially for articles and editorials and letters to the editor dealing with slavery, sectionalism, and new states entering the union. Look at the advertisements for things such as land sales, cotton markets, slave auction, etc. to inform you on the thinking of people.

By the end of the newspapers you should have another 250-400 pages of notes and or copies of newspaper articles.

I am not disagreeing with your newspaper research. But beware of rampant sensational journalism that went along with the rise of the telegraph that fed the newspapers.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Calhoun
And... key thing to understand is there is no one reason for the Civil War. The reasons varied from person to person and from state to state.

Most northerners weren't fighting and dying to free the slaves, no more than most southerners were fighting to keep their slaves - since most southerners didn't have any.

But slavery sat there behind everything, being the core catalyst for pretty much the entire thing.

“States rights were what Texas was seceding against. Texas also made clear what it was seceding for — white supremacy:
We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Fightin' Joe Wheeler.

They put a former confederate general in charge of all mounted troops.

I also seem to remember reading that we almost went to war with Spain like in the early 1880's. And N B Forrest offered his services to the cause at that time.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/05/15.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Fightin' Joe Wheeler.

I also seem to remember reading that we almost went to war with Spain like in the early 1880's. And N B Forrest offered his services to the cause at that time.

Right on. Man, where were you at when I needed good students in class? grin

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

The Washington Post sucks. Notice that this article was written by a Sociologist.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 07/05/15.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Some more stuff.

After you work through the Tindall and Shi history book up to 1861 its time to move on to different sources. Oh, you should probably have at a minimum of 100 pages of typewritten or 200- 250 pages of hand written reading notes if you're doing the historian thing.

Now, that you have laid the foundation (you might want to think of being an Historian as partially the process of layering up a cake or a brick wall) its time to start building upon it.

First, attack as much primary source material as you can lay hand on. Remember that these sources will likely be localized or regionalized.

I would recommend starting with the newspapers dating back to at least 1835 if possible. Many towns did not have a paper in those days so concentrate in general terms on the bigger cities.

I would try to get at least two from North, South, and West.

Say the Boston and/or NYC papers. Baltimore and Richmond. Atlanta and New Orleans. St.Louis and Kansas City, etc.

The majority of these papers are available on microfilm and can be accessed via the Inter-library Loan system at public libraries, or community college and university libraries. For the most part librarians at the collegiate libraries are really happy to help and help you learn to use a microfilm reader.

Hitting the newspapers will let you see what and how people were thinking about things. Look especially for articles and editorials and letters to the editor dealing with slavery, sectionalism, and new states entering the union. Look at the advertisements for things such as land sales, cotton markets, slave auction, etc. to inform you on the thinking of people.

By the end of the newspapers you should have another 250-400 pages of notes and or copies of newspaper articles.

I am not disagreeing with your newspaper research. But beware of rampant sensational journalism that went along with the rise of the telegraph that fed the newspapers.

You always have to consider the source when doing research.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Fightin' Joe Wheeler.

I thought you were asking something significant. Everyone knows that Gary Bussy was in command at San Juan Hill.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fightin' Joe Wheeler.

I thought you were asking something significant. Everyone knows that Gary Bussy was in command at San Juan Hill.

Gary Busey being cast as Joe wheeler is one of the most epic miscasts in cinematic history.

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Fightin' Joe Wheeler.

Gary Busey being cast as Joe wheeler is one of the most epic miscasts in cinematic history.

Roflmao! To me, from photos, Wheeler always looked like he was about die any minute in 1898!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Joe Wheeler was 62 in 1898 so he was really long in the tooth for a field command.

All the historical accounts I have read about Wheeler left the impression that he was more like a little banty rooster than a big fat dude like Busey.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The Washington Post sucks. Notice that this article was written by a Sociologist.

I saw that........ and the anti-NRA ad at the bottom of the page.

Keep bumping this thread up with new info, Mr. Bear. Just because it gets few responses doesn't mean we aren't reading it.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Keep bumping this thread up with new info, Mr. Bear. Just because it gets few worthwhile responses doesn't mean we aren't reading it.

Slight edit, but otherwise wholeheartedly agreed.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Keep bumping this thread up with new info, Mr. Bear. Just because it gets few responses doesn't mean we aren't reading it.

Thank you for the kind words.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Now, I hope that folks are seeing just how complex the Civil War was and how there are no easy or really complete answers to the cause(s).

I hope I also lifted the veil on what a historian does and have shown just a bit that its a lot more than just names, dates, and places.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of History and Historians, here is another question that gave my students fits on exams.

What is a short, simple textbook like definition of History and the work of Historians?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It's written by the victors.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
History - stuff that already happened. Historians - people who professionally and objectively look at stuff that already happened.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
History - stuff that already happened. Historians - people who professionally and objectively look at stuff that already happened.

Pretty close.

History is the recorded events of the past. The work of the Historian is the scientific analysis of the recorded events of the past.

Page 10 of 38 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 65 invisible), 3,018 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.