-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of folks get injured by these jumping fish, but it's rare for a fatality to occur. I often boat on the Suwannee River, in that area.
link to story
A 5-year-old Trenton girl died Thursday night after a sturgeon leaped into her boat along the Suwannee River and struck her and family members.

Wildlife officials said Jaylon Rippy died after being struck Thursday night. Jaylon's mother, Tanya Rippy, 31, and 9-year-old brother Trevor were also injured and airlifted along with Jaylon to UF Health Shands Hospital.

The mom and brother's conditions were not known; Jaylon died either en route to Shands or after arriving at the hospital, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Jaylon's father was on the boat as well, but suffered no injuries.

The family was heading to Hart Springs when the incident happened near the Joe Anderson Boat Ramp in Fanning Springs at about 8:47 p.m. Thursday.

Many details are still under investigation, said Karen Parker, spokeswoman for the North Central Florida office of the Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Sam......

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Damn!! Do they jump in due the sound of the motor or what?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sad.

Sean
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh man. That's so sad. Can't even imagine the father's grief.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rong
Damn!! Do they jump in due the sound of the motor or what?

An old timer told me they jump to clear the mud/sediment from their gills. Since they virtually vaccuum the bottom for their food, especially in mud flats when targeting river clams.

Last edited by DesertSandman; 07/05/15.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a 5 yo daughter.
We run the mighty MO in our little tinny quite a bit.

We've seen some big ones surface and roll, but never seen one jump.

Dinosaurs.
Lots of times I've just cut the line and let it go.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sturgeon board boats like that every year on the Suwanee. People get hurt and sometimes die. Similar thing goes on with mullet during hours of darkness. 2# mullet in the face at 30 mph stings a bit.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
most scientists feel the sturgeon jump to communicate with each other. No one really knows.
What we do know, as locals, is that they represent a danger to boaters. Most folks just ease off on the throttle at this time of year. Others just run full speed on the Suwannee. lots of those type get injured.

Sam......

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
How big do these FL sturgeon get?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
200+ pounds, and about 7 to 8 feel lnog
Those scales are tough too.

Sam......

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks . Quite a load falling on a little girl

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Sturgeon board boats like that every year on the Suwanee. People get hurt and sometimes die. Similar thing goes on with mullet during hours of darkness. 2# mullet in the face at 30 mph stings a bit.

My grandparents had a fish camp in Suwannee starting about 1975 and then built a house and moved down there in 1982. In all the time down there I don't recall Sturgeon being mentioned and I don't ever recall seeing one. Is the population growing or are there maybe just lots more people on the river than before.

It's mind boggling to me that there are condos in Suwannee. I remember driving to Chiefland or Gainesville for groceries!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

My cousin used to go out at night cast netting for mullet. One night, he netted either a manatee, or a big shark, never really knew which, though he suspected manatee. Whatever it was took off, and snatched him right off the bank, and was dragging him under water. Luckily, he had a belt knife, and was able to get it out and cut the rope.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I didn't even know there were sturgeon in Florida....learn something new every day.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
To be honest, I didn't either, and I grew up there. But then I was never around any of the big rivers in the north end of the state, either.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I didn't even know there were sturgeon in Florida....learn something new every day.

They're in the James, also, though not in the 200# class. When they go to jumping, some of those rascals have some impressive hang-time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.