Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good morning all.
I have a 7 day goat hunt on the books outside of Smithers, August 29th start date. It is a backpack hunt, with the outfitter setting up the spike camp before arrival, providing food, cooking gear and tents.
Thanks to everyone for earlier help with pack and E reader questions, as you can see they are on the list.
Since everyone likes to look at gear lists feel free to offer any suggestions to mine, as this is my first hunt of this style.
The pack seems to fit me well, and the rifle is a proven favorite, so those will stay as is.
The pack fabric is waterproof, but most gear will be in ZipLocs or ultralight dry sacks as well.
I am thinking about a lighter rain coat , as the stormfront has worked well but at 24 oz is a bit heavy, same as the pants. The Barney's jacket is the warmest coat I have ever worn and is light enough, and may be just the thing for wearing if the temp drops and the wind picks up. If not active I get cold pretty quick.
So, here is the list:

PARADOX PACK, EVOLUTION 4800 WITH DUAL TALON

TOILET PAPER
BABY WIPES
ADVIL, BENEDRYL, ZQUILL, PEPTO, THROAT DROPS, ETC.
TWEEZERS
NAIL CLIPPER
NEEDLE
SMALL SCISSOR
TOE TAPE
BAND AID
NEOSPORIN
GAUZE PAD
COMPRESSION BANDAGE
SMALL BAR OF SOAP OR LIQUID SOAP
TOOTH BRUSH
TOOTH PASTE
FLOSS PICKS
HAND TOWEL
CHAP STICK
HAND LOTION
HAND SANITIZER

RIFLE - ULA 708 WITH LOOPY 1.75-6
AMMO , 12 ROUNDS
EAR PLUGS
ALLEN WRENCH FOR SCOPE

GATORADE BOTTLES
DUCT TAPE AROUND BOTTLES
ZIP TIES
KNIFE
HEAD LAMP
SPARE BATTERIES
CAMERA
MEMORY CARD
CAMERA BATTERY
JOBY TRIPOD FOR CAMERA
LENS WIPES
KINDLE
ZIPLOC BAGS
SAFETY PINS
PARA CORD
SPARE BUCKLE AND CLIPS FOR PACK
LATEX GLOVES
BLACK DIAMOND HIKING STICKS
SMALL FOAM PAD FOR SITTING
ZEISS 8X30 VICTORY BINO

SLEEPING BAG (Mtn Hardware Laminia 20) IN COMPRESSION SACK AND DRY BAG
THERMA REST NEO AIR PAD
TYVEK GROUND CLOTH

SMART WOOL LIGHT TOP
SMART WOOL LIGHT BOTTOMS
SOCKS, 2 SPARE
PATAGONIA R1 TOP
PATAGONIA ADZE VEST
HIKING PANTS, 1 PAIR
FLEECE GLOVES, 2 PR
SITKA STORMFRONT RAIN JACKET
SITKA STORMFRONT PANTS
FLEECE CAP
NECK GAITER
BALL CAP
BARNEYS SUPER CUP PUFF JACKET
LIGHT CAPILENE TOP FOR SLEEPING
LIGHT CAPILENE BOTTOM FOR SLEEPING

CAMELBAK ELIXIR TABS
VITAMIN C TABS

Thanks as usual for the help, I really appreciate it,

Courtney

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
A spotting scope is a good addition. You will be able to find goats with your binos but one of the big things is making sure that you are taking a buster billy rather than a wannabe. You can't be sure that your assistant guide has a high end spotter. You don't need a Zeiss or a Swaro 65 but a good vortex Razor 50mm would be fine. Get a ultralight manfrotto tripod.

That sleeping bag may be a bit heavy, but you can get by with a silnylon dry bag with paracord. The synthetic bag won't require an event compression sack.

Make sure your packer or assistant guide who has mountain legs is carrying your first aide kit.

Also make sure that you have salt for the cape in a gatoraid bottle. You might be able to get TTC which if you flesh the goat right will be a big weight saver. Again you are paying your assistant to pack so they can carry that.

Buck is making a super good SV30 caping knife combo this year. You might also want to take a havalon paranta with replaceable blades. Outdoor Edge folding saw for cutting off the skullplate.

Make sure that you have a good functioning stove. Simple is better. The guide is supposed to provide it but its best to make sure that for the little money of buying MH or food of your choice that you will not have digestive difficulties.
Many times you can arrange with your guide a menu so that you are sure that you have enough food in case you are weathered in a couple of extra days.

Water purification in the mountains still is necessary. Stupid beavers and parka squirrels poop all over up above tree line. You can go with tablets but a Sawyer mini squeeze filter is g2g.

Your dentist can prescribe you antibiotics and painkillers that are useful if you seriously get hurt.

Ask your guide if you should bring crampons and an iceaxe. Trekking poles can work like an ice axe but the lichens up above treeline sometimes are slicker than snot when it rains. Instep crampons are pretty light in weight. They don't cost much either.

Sincerely,
Thomas

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would also carry a short and a long coyote-coloured Z-Rest, in case of failure of your Neoair.

I would most definitely carry alloy crampons and maybe a super light ice axe, but, the crampons plus two BD hiking poles should get you through anything you might encounter.

Spotter.....find out for sure if your guide will have one but do carry a highend bino, I have Zeiss and Leica, Swaros are great as well.

Northern BC, wish it were still like it was when I first lived alone in the mountains there more than 40 years ago.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hello Courtney,

I accompanied a friend two years ago on a mixed bag hunt in Northern BC. Your gear list looks good, and the only suggestion I would make is for consideration in taking a camp chair. These proved to be well worth their weight on our hunt: http://www.backcountry.com/therm-a-rest-trekker-lounge-chair

I would also check with your outfitter to ensure the guide will be given (or has) a good spotting scope. The outfit we went with provided the guide with a spotter, but it definitely had seen better days.

The two times I was in Northern BC the outfitter gave no consideration for water purification, and so Kaboku's recommendation is spot on.

You are in for a trip of a lifetime and I am excited to hear how it went. If you are interested, here is a short film of my friend's 2013 goat hunt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxZksCxtQo

Take Care,

Levi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 375PigGuy

TWEEZERS
NAIL CLIPPER

SMALL SCISSOR

HAND LOTION

ZIP TIES

CAMERA
MEMORY CARD
CAMERA BATTERY
JOBY TRIPOD FOR CAMERA

SAFETY PINS

I wouldn't bother bringing this stuff on a 7-day hunt. I know you think you will need it now, but you'll probably end up getting home and realizing you didn't even take it out of your pack. Bring a mini Swiss army knife and a cell phone for pictures, if you must.

Originally Posted by 375PigGuy

FLEECE GLOVES, 2 PR

LIGHT CAPILENE TOP FOR SLEEPING
LIGHT CAPILENE BOTTOM FOR SLEEPING

One pair of fleece gloves will do, and if possible an outer shell layer of gloves in case you spend hours glassing in the rainy wind.

I wouldn't bother bringing sleep-specific clothing. Sleep in your day-use clothes and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Less weight, and the stuff you're already carrying can do double duty.

When backpacking out of spike camp, minimizing unnecessary weight and bringing gear that is extremely efficient is the name of the game. The less you're carrying, the further and harder you can push yourself each day.

JMO, of course.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Thomas, I am making a shopping trip today and will take a ;look at the Sawyer. Beaver Fever wold be a bad addition to the trip. I am going to discuss food details with the outfitter as well.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Levi, I appreciate your reply. I clicked on your link and once the video began I realized that I had already seen it during previous internet time as well. It looks like you two had a great hunt and got a nice billy as well. I hope to do as well next month.

Courtney

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the reply Jordan, I appreciate it and have enjoyed reading your other posts as well.
I thought about the phone, but my IPhone has such unpredictable battery life I am sure it would crap out the first day of the trip and my compact camera is hardly any heavier.
The lightweight capilene for sleeping thought was keeping the bag from getting so grubby but I guess that really doesn't matter. Another thought was to have it for backup up in case the merino needed replacing for a day or two.
In your experience will merino base layers hold up , dry fast enough, etc for the entire trip?

Thanks again,
Courtney

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yes I would take a back up on the sleeping pad, even a light EVA pad at the minimum. There are a couple rain shells in the 9 - 10 ounce range that work well. I have a Mountain Hardware one that is decent and light.

The extra closed cell pad and a paradox can work together as a camp chair. Ask Brian Goode he has posted photos of the arrangement.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IME, yes. One set of base merino will do for a week-long trip.

I also agree with Kevin on the backup sleeping closed-cell pad (doubled up it gives extra padding and protection for your Neoair, in which case you could leave the Tyvek sheet at home).

I use a MH Plasmic rain shell, which works well enough. It would be a good idea to run your list by your outfitter. The location and circumstance you'll be hunting under may require specific items.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree on leaving that list home, except the nail clipper and skin lotion based on lots of time in BC mountains.

You might be surprised how much you use a nail clipper over a week in the bush and cracked skin on your hands is a real bummer.

The weight of these is miniscule as is a major analgesic for serious sprains and possible ankle fracture.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Small size tube of diaper rash ointment stays in my toiletries kit and always goes along...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
375PigGuy I sent you a Private Message.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 3,013 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,481
Posts18,451,879
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.