24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Glad we've finally put shootings to rest.

[b][color:#3333FF]Link..![/color][/b]

July 6, 2015 After a tragic shooting at a Charleston church, the South Carolina state Senate voted to remove the Confederate flag, which some lawmakers say symbolizes the motivation behind the crime, from the statehouse grounds.

Lawmakers voted 37-3 to take down the flag, although a third reading is still needed.

Following the shooting rampage at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church last month that claimed nine lives, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, along with politicians in both parties, called for the Confederate flag flying on statehouse grounds to be removed. A day later, a bill was introduced in the Legislature calling for the "permanent removal" of the flag "from its location adjacent to the Confederate soldier monument" and transfer to a museum.

The state Senate convened Monday morning to debate the bill. State Sen. Larry Martin, R-Pickens, reflected on the state's history on the floor, saying that the flag "had more to do with what was going on in the 1960s, as opposed to the 1860s."

"It is part of our past," he said. "I think we need to leave it at that."

State Sen. Thomas McElveen, D-Sumter, recognized the absence of the Rev. Clementa Pinckney Jr., his fellow senator who was one of the nine people killed in the shooting.

"We lost a brother that I thought was the conscious of the Senate," McElveen said.

State Sen. Vincent Sheheen, D-Kershaw, said Pinckney's death should not be the sole motivation behind taking the flag down.

"We should pass this bill not because of that, or because of the eight members of his congregation who were murdered, and we should not pass this bill because some national figures say so, or because we have been getting emails, or pressure one way or the other," he said.

A two-thirds majority in both chambers is required to make any changes to the status of the Confederate flag, a precedent set by the Heritage Act of 2000, which removed a different flag from the top of the state Capitol's dome. The floor speeches delivered during Monday's session echoed those of last month, when the Legislature first met to consider removal of the flag. Then, lawmakers urged their colleagues to put the bill to a vote sooner rather than later.

A survey of South Carolina's legislators conducted by The Post and Courier newspaper, the South Carolina Press Association, and the Associated Press after last month's session showed that at least 33 of 46 senators and 83 of 123 House members support the removal of the flag.

After a short recess Monday afternoon, lawmakers moved on to consider amendments, some of which included attempts to maintain the flag in some capacity. The amendment from state Sen. Lee Bright, R-Spartanburg, which would have allowed voters to decide the fate of the flag, was tabled. State Sen. Danny Verdin, R-Laurens, proposed an amendment that would permit the flag to be raised on Confederate Memorial Day, May 10.

"I know much of this debate has transpired with contemporary focus as I come to my amendment in my other biographical sketches, and that the historical context is not lost on us," Verdin said. His amendment was also tabled.

Bright returned with a new amendment that would switch the Confederate flag for the first national flag of the Confederate States of America. "I would like to have the battle [flag], but as I've heard in the media and I've heard in emails, that flag is what it is all about," Bright said. That amendment was also tabled.

In a recent interview on NBC's Today show, Haley admitted that taking down the flag wouldn't be "easy" or "painless." Presidential hopefuls in both parties—including Rand Paul, Hillary Clinton, and Lindsey Graham, who represents South Carolina in the Senate—have backed the flag's removal from the statehouse grounds in Columbia. Several large retailers stopped the sale of products displaying the Confederate emblem.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
9 dead in Chitcago this weekend, too bad they didn't vote sooner, could have saved a few lives.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
that's silly. Black lives DON"T matter in Chicago. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We fought a civil war????

1Minute
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
THERE WILL ONLY CONTINUE TO BE BLACK ON BLACK< JUST LoOK AT CHINEGRO THIS PAST WEEKEND! GUN LAWS REALLY MATTER> BULLSHIT

Fück Joe byron
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Not only will this cause future nut jobs to cease and desist with their planning, but it will erase the ills of a nation in turmoil.

Utopia! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Everybody should "FEEL" much
better now. YAY!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Who's flag is next???

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It is all about changing history--

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Who's flag is next???

Guns.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Who's flag is next???

Guns.

I don't think we should fly guns on statehouse grounds...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Who's flag is next???

Old Glory will soon be replaced with the Mexican / Rainbow flag mad

It's only a matter of time!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having grown up, been early schooled and learned many of life's ropes in a northern manufacturing city with a comparatively high percentage black population in the 40s and 50s, I experienced many good things emanating from a solid, thriving and caring black community in that city. Yes, there were some problems and some miscreants afoot, but racial progress was accomplished steadily. Almost everyone worked at something, and parents watched over and took care of their kids.

Most of us were able to grow into excellent relationships and witness many of our black friends and acquaintances succeed in education and in life. Today, many such cities are nothing like that - the situations are deplorable. Why?? Indeed, in the 1960s after we had gone west, my home city went to rack and ruin due to the first seeds of the fruit we see today, and because "organizers" incited major riots and destruction. Relatively instant degredation of a once fine place.

I abhor and am sadeened by the murders of those 9 black people, in their own church - horrible. However, it is clear that no removal or denigration of any symbol - such as that flag - will do an iota of good toward improved racial relationships and reduction of murderous crimes in this country. The SC state action smells like political expediency and opportunism.

Once the "symbols" and "evidences" of various injurious claims are gone, and after this country has poured even more billions into the failed give-away and "welfare" programs that have served to undermine self-respect and any hope for progress in many black communities, how will black leaders and vapid politicians manage to explain the ongoing reasons for the abject failures, and the crime-ridden murderous conditions? They will need a new set of excuses, slogans and hollow gimmicks. It is so very unlikely that their "leadership" behaviors and undertakings will be based on the values and principles that cause communities, and countries, to be excellent. What a waste.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
CCCC - Thanks for putting to words some of
my own thoughts. I just don't have the
"knack" or whatever.

Last edited by poboy; 07/06/15.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Who's flag is next???

Some future shooting incident may have old stars and stripes involved - then what?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Who's flag is next???

Some future shooting incident may have old stars and stripes involved - then what?

It seems that the "Confederates" here won't care. It's not their flag, just as the Confederate battle flag isn't mine.

It does frost my azz that a piece of history is now demonized even further than it has been from the actions of one lunatic, by elected lunatics.

This is and will always be my one and only flag.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by luv2safari; 07/06/15.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.