Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
jus sayin? CAFR, you aren't completely correct. The items that you mentioned will not give you a 100% guarantee that it will chamber. Remember he is loading a round into his or his buddy's rifle with the brass from the other rifle. They were chambered by the same smith and same reamer. Go on the second page on the campfire forum and look for the post on this.
jus sayin

Butch, boobie, I am completely correct.... Unless the chamber is wrong, a full length resize and case length gauge WILL make ammo that fits a spec chamber. That's how the factory does it. Why would you debate a common sense statement? I can't break it down any further because I used up all my crayons explaining to another reloading expert why he shouldn't look down the bore of a loaded gun. Jeeze.

GB1

Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By butchlambert1
jus sayin? CAFR, you aren't completely correct. The items that you mentioned will not give you a 100% guarantee that it will chamber. Remember he is loading a round into his or his buddy's rifle with the brass from the other rifle. They were chambered by the same smith and same reamer. Go on the second page on the campfire forum and look for the post on this.
jus sayin

Butch, boobie, I am completely correct.... Unless the chamber is wrong, a full length resize and case length gauge WILL make ammo that fits a spec chamber. That's how the factory does it. Why would you debate a common sense statement? I can't break it down any further because I used up all my crayons explaining to another reloading expert why he shouldn't look down the bore of a loaded gun. Jeeze.

I appears you lack experience. Lots of the folks here use custom guns and wildcats. We hope the die maker made the die to match the chamber. They don't always. We hope the 'smith chambers all the same. They don't always. Recently I had two chambers cut for the 6.5RUMLR. One in a Lilja on a Savage action for my son-in-law and one in a Christensen barrel. There is about .005" difference in the two. If I full length size a case to nicely fit mine, it will NOT go into his.

Perhaps there is a difference in the steel. Or the guy does sloppy work. I don'tknow. I do know things in the real world sadly don't alway work they way they do in theory.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My first thought was to tell you to buy yourself an an action wrench and a barrel vise.

After more thinking your best bet is that you should take up golf. Your ignorance and lack of paying attention to detail is going to get someone seriously hurt.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ringman

Originally Posted By butchlambert1
jus sayin

I appears you lack experience. Lots of the folks here use custom guns and wildcats. We hope the die maker made the die to match the chamber. They don't always. We hope the 'smith chambers all the same. They don't always. Recently I had two chambers cut for the 6.5RUMLR. One in a Lilja on a Savage action for my son-in-law and one in a Christensen barrel. There is about .005" difference in the two. If I full length size a case to nicely fit mine, it will NOT go into his.

Perhaps there is a difference in the steel. Or the guy does sloppy work. I don'tknow. I do know things in the real world sadly don't alway work they way they do in theory.

You are willing to have a custom rifle built with a sub standard chamber..... and then say that I lack experience? I just don't know how to respond to that. Do you walk to work, or take your lunch?

I stated that properly reloaded ammo will fit a spec chamber. I stand by that statement. I build custom guns and wildcats. I would never allow a rifle to leave my shop that doesn't chamber properly made ammo.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
CAFR,

I build custom guns and wildcats. I would never allow a rifle to leave my shop that doesn't chamber properly made ammo.

You and are exactly alike. I also "build customs and wildcats" by paying the 'smith. Apparently you do it yourself. I also make properly make ammo to fit each rifle before it goes to the range or hunting fields. By checking the brass before I load it. smile

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CAFR

I stated that properly reloaded ammo will fit a spec chamber. I stand by that statement.
OK, I just gotta ask - exactly what is your definition of a "spec" chamber???
I build custom guns and wildcats.
So do I..and I can't wait to read your answer.. smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A mentor of mine used to make his own reamers and chambered rifles in the RFT (really freakin' tight)version of the cartridge. So it was that most dies wouldn't be able to reduce cases, which had been fired in a SAAMI chamber, to fit.
My own rifles all have what I take to be "spec" chambers (they take 'go' gauge)but I still check sized brass in the rifle.
CAFR states, "I would never allow a rifle to leave my shop that doesn't chamber properly made ammo". Given the comments made previously, I have to ask; How do you ascertain that this is so? Do you, by chance, check a sample of the ammo in the rifle? GD

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am a Professional Gunsmith. I do this for a living. I chamber rifles to SAAMI "GO" for a spec chamber. I also test fire each new chamber, rifle, barrel, etc that I install. I didn't get on this thread to start a giant debate with a bunch of forum experts. I stand by my statements. I can't wait to get out of here.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
CARF,

I can't wait to get out of here.

You may be sharp as a tack in the machine shop, but here you lack something. The way to "get out of here" is very simple. Don't open the thread. If you do open the thread, don't respond to us less informed and less experienced. Glad I could help. smile

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am a Professional Gunsmith. I do this for a living. I chamber rifles to SAAMI "GO" for a spec chamber. I also test fire each new chamber, rifle, barrel, etc that I install. I didn't get on this thread to start a giant debate with a bunch of forum experts. I stand by my statements. I can't wait to get out of here.

The forum experts here were in this business when you were still [bleep] yellow. They don't make a living splatter painting ARs. Probably more money in it than real gunsmith work though.
Boobie, borrowing your expression, Ima jus sayin!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I am a Professional Gunsmith. I do this for a living. I chamber rifles to SAAMI "GO" for a spec chamber. I also test fire each new chamber, rifle, barrel, etc that I install.
Who doesn't? But there are exceptions. Care to contribute?
I didn't get on this thread to start a giant debate with a bunch of forum experts.
You mean, like you??
I stand by my statements. I can't wait to get out of here.
Then you should have been gone by 6:36 pm ..

Just sayin', boobie...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You can chamber a rifle so the "go gage" barely closes and then use brass fired in a rifle with a "generous" chamber. In many cases I have found that a standard resizing die will not reshape the brass enough to have it chamber easily.

Every rifle I have ever chambered will allow a go gage to chamber but I do encounter used brass that doesn't want to go in.

On several of my rifles, I cut enough barrel off that I was able chamber the cut off piece to use as a loaded round checker.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Ringman
The bolt rotates about 70 degrees and stops solidly. It moves quite normally up and down.

I haven't read all the rest of the answers, but ... this sounds a little bit like the front action screw could be too long. Have you tried pulling the barreled action out of the stock, then see if the bolt will turn? If that works, probably you need to shorten the front bolt a smidge.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
T_O_M,

I haven't read all the rest of the answers, but ... this sounds a little bit like the front action screw could be too long. Have you tried pulling the barreled action out of the stock, then see if the bolt will turn? If that works, probably you need to shorten the front bolt a smidge.

Tom

I took the stock off. Still no better.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TOM
Remember your 6 Rem AI?
I'm about 95% sure he is chasing the same problem.
But it may be up front binding things up at the extractor instead of at the back like yours.

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
You can chamber a rifle so the "go gage" barely closes and then use brass fired in a rifle with a "generous" chamber. In many cases I have found that a standard resizing die will not reshape the brass enough to have it chamber easily.

Exactly.. smile

Kinda what I was tryin' to get out of the curmudgeon above.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep, I remember.

I'd say if it's not the front screw interfering, it's time to take it to the gunsmith and have him take things apart.

No point tearing the bolt handle off the bolt like I did.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

The forum experts here were in this business when you were still [bleep] yellow. They don't make a living splatter painting ARs.

laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd say if it's not the front screw interfering, it's time to take it to the gunsmith and have him take things apart.

Dropped it off today.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Cool. I'd like to know what he determines the problem was.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 59 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.