Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by deflave
Holy fugg!

I guess I missed the price sheet. I thought these were closer to $1,500.00.

Dave

For $1300, one could get one in, un-FUBAR the .22 caliber f'k up pretty easily and still be into a damn nice rig for well under $2k.

....and still be $1500 less than the Ed Brown offering. When they come out with the 28 Nosler version, I'm in for one.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
If rifles were spec'd the way the market wants them, they'd cost $300 including a 3x9 scope and a bag of Cheetos.

....laughing and true too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is interesting to see how a certain spec'd rifle seems to be moving quite well on another thread. The market spoke and its way overtwisted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, at least SAS will only be in for only 25 rifles. Who makes their barrels .. .. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Personally...the LAST thing of interest to me,is a "good deal" on a piece of fhuqking schit.

It costs no more to twist and throat right and the inherent advantages are beyond refute. Them facts only fhuqk up them who shoot little to none,as this Thread eloquently quantifies.

LAW gave no thought to any of it,mainly because they were/are well shy of having the faculties to process same. It has long been hilarious to me,that poor poor Joe Average is soothed with the notion that lotsa Stupid Fhuqkers buy lotsa STUPID schit. Now I'm not gonna condemn the gent who made a mint by selling Pet Rocks,but I don't feel compelled to apologize for not purchasing same. The LAW is a schit sandwich,as a best case scenario and there will of course be STUPID Fhuqkers who'll take a bite. Tough to trump the humor,from any/all angles!

Some folks will never savvy and that's even funnier yet.

Bless their hearts!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Read the entire thread. Epic. All I can say is WOW.

It's hard to buy a rifle that has everything. Building is better, and the best way to minimize concessions and compromises.

Good luck to LAW. I'm sure Joe Average will be happy to take a coupla head of game with their rifle.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You can lead a builder to proper twist, but you can't make him think.

Last edited by Grand; 03/10/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well....

I just handled one of their new rifles. The rep brought a Closer by the shop.

Needless to say, I'm impressed. The action was smooth as silk. The metal work was flawless and the bedding was better than I've ever seen on a production rifle (he let me take it out of the stock). The Timney trigger was nice....and ergo's were spot on.

Its a breeze to remove the firing pin for cleaning as well. With the safety in mid-postion, remove the bolt and pull back on a small lever, unscrew from there.

I'm looking forward to shooting one...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to hear. As I said, most (all but two) appear to be twisted just fine. Even if you bought the rifle and had it re-barreled, you'd still be way ahead of the game cost wise compared to what the original Ed Brown would have set you back. So for $2000 which would include the price of a top flight custom barrel of your choosing, you would have one hell of a rifle.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Well....

Needless to say, I'm impressed. The action was smooth as silk. The metal work was flawless and the bedding was better than I've ever seen on a production rifle (he let me take it out of the stock). The Timney trigger was nice....and ergo's were spot on.

Its a breeze to remove the firing pin for cleaning as well. With the safety in mid-postion, remove the bolt and pull back on a small lever, unscrew from there.

Thanks SAS!

I can't wait to see your shooting review.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Well....

So I was at the local Sportsman's today and they had one of these, it was one of the "Professional" rifles in 300 Win Mag. They had it marked at $1599, the guy thought the non-mags would be a bit less but he wasn't sure.

Anyway, like SAS said the fit & finish is 1st rate, it was about as nice as I've seen. Certainly nicer than just about any production rifle I've seen that has a plastic stock. Stock felt great, balance was right on the money, it had a thinner shoe Timney, this one was adjusted perfect for a hunting rig. The action was really nice, just unbelievably slick when you cycled it.

About the only thing I could complain about, and I'm grasping is the recoil pad. It was pretty dang hard, kind of like the older Remington solid pads like on KS rifles or the laminated Mtn rifles from a few years ago. Be a real kicker on that Mag. Although I've never been a huge fan of a 3 position safety I could really like this rifle, if they shoot as good as they look that price is pretty decent IMHO.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I put a 300 Win Mag Professional on Layaway for next year's sheep season. I am taking a Nosler 48 Patriot in 26 Nosler this year.

I am really impressed with the LAW. Like Cooper it comes in a crappy unmarked wooden box. It has a nice Boyt's soft case that will last.

Reed -

All I can say is make a pile of them and send them to the the Alaskan Mainland. We will buy.

Sincerely,
Thomas

C
C
Happy to say I received my Professional .300 Win Mag today and topped it with a Leupold VX-6 3-18 x 44. Smooth action. Feels good in my hands. Can't wait to get out in the mtns and shoot it this weekend.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've enjoyed reading most all the posts you guys have made re: these new rifles. So I decided to run a rather dumb question by you just for curiosity: I'm an older guy and hunt with rifles that most of you would think waaaaay too old to hunt with: old M70s with wood stocks and 25-30 yr. old Leupold scopes. But they work well for me and the older you get the more set in your ways you become.

So the question, and I'm not trying to be smart here: honestly wanting to learn. What is a rifle like these customs provide over a say current model 70 with stainless barrel-action and synthetic stock? The 70 has crf, a 3 position striker blocking safety, quite slick action and quite accurate I understand

Is it, more reliable, slicker feeding, more accurate, or more something else? School me here guys. Looking forward to your responses.

RG

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's likely about 20 pounds lighter and it's not a M70, so those are 2 pluses.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
ruffedgrouse,
I have a few customs and the only thing is I feel comfortable with them. Will it do a better job than yours, probably not.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I am a winchester fan boy. I believe that I have five model 70s from 270s to 375 HH and I like them a lot. I am willing to swallow my pride and say that the Portugal FN BACO is tops.

However, I was willing to spend retail for a Model 70 JOC tribute.
The JOC needed no trigger work and had a level of finish that made it worth it. Every little aspect down to the screws were done with great care. The Model 70 JOC tribute is what BACO could do but doesn't. I hunted with it and decided that I am probably rougher on my rifles than JOC. Its not bad and if I decide to go on a mule deer hunt in Wyoming or South Dakota, it probably would go along. However, many of the goat hunts and late season hunts up here trash nice rifles no matter how much barricade, cloth camo tape and electrical tape you apply.

The Winchester EW is a very nice rifle. It has a BC stock that is a little clubby but it points well and is stable. You buy that rifle and its a dog that can hunt. However, you will have to monkey with the MOA trigger and its always a work to make everything function at the top of the top level.

The LAW Professional pays attention to the same details as the JOC but I am buying it at a great price-right close to the Model 70 EW. The High Tech Specialities Stock is shaped right, the cerrakote job is so good that it is hard to find the muzzle break line with the barrel. The Trigger is a Timney and the action is smooth without any level of galling.
The 24 inch fluted barrel with a removable muzzle break are set so its really well balanced. It has an exceptional balance and could compare with semi custom guns by many of the other makers.

Some people might say, hey just go buy a Kimber Montana and be done with it. The Montana costs less. However, you have to cherry pick Kimbers and adjust their bedding plus deal with tool marks. You do not have to deal with that with the LAW.

I might be wrong on all accounts and maybe they are just a flash in the pan that will quickly fade away.

However, I would rather have Mark Bansner who has a long record of making very good rifles over see fit and finish work than some weekend hobbyist.

Last fall, I bought two Bear Anarchy Compound Bows- One is a single cam and one is a double cam. They are incredibly accurate bows. They were discontinued with little fanfare and they are much better bows than the present Bear Arena models.

Sometimes you just know what is a limited opportunity and know that you have to go for it. This is much more something that Butch can back up because he has many rifles that are crafted just for him.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we need a range report

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Learned about these in the Outdoor Life gear review a month or so back. They caught my attention then and the past week, while I've been on vacation, I've been geeking out, learning more about these rifles.
I've spent some time on the phone with JD, talking about their rifles with him a couple times and emailed back and forth too. As far as customer service goes for a brand new company, they're first-class it would seem; knowledgeable and easily reach via phone or email! After talking with him and finding that they'll possibly be offering this action as a "gunsmithing" product down the road I was on the fence of whether or not to wait and get exactly what I want down the road.
I contacted my local distributor to see if I could swing by and take a look at one of these rifles and was told that they leave the shelf as soon as they're put out, so there's nothing to take a look at! That was disappointing, but if they're really that good, I'm having a hard time not being impulsive with another rifle purchase wink
Well today... I gave in and purchased a 308 Winchester, even though I really want a 300WSM with a box mag. I'll either send it in down the road when they open up their "custom shop" and let them ream the chamber out and open the bolt face or if they aren't able to make it as a company (which would be a damn shame!), I'll hire a local smith to do this for me and and fit a detachable box mag system at that point too.
Can't wait to get the new rifle! I know 308 will technically kill anything the 300 mags will, but I like the added assurance of higher speeds with heavier bullets, giving me room between things that might eat me and the end of my barrel =)
This gun will be getting the VX3 1.75-6x32 heavy duplex I bought last year and never used to keep weight down under 7.5lbs and hopefully shoot the 110gr TTSX I've loaded up to screaming velocities for other 308s in the past.
Thanks for the good thread.

Last edited by Wilkup; 08/08/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tab

Page 24 of 26 1 2 22 23 24 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,675
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.