Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Oh, it gets BETTER!

How does it get any better then to have a good laugh over the death of a young man? Quality stuff right there.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, it gets BETTER!

http://news.yahoo.com/mom-man-died-fireworks-accident-says-rules-too-205543867.html

Mom of man who died in fireworks accident says rules too lax

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The mother of a man who tried to launch a firework off the top of his head for July Fourth and was killed instantly said Monday she's advocating for stricter controls about who can use the explosives.

Devon Staples, 22, and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in a backyard in Staples' eastern Maine hometown, Calais, when the accident happened with a reloadable fireworks mortar tube, police have said.

Staples' mother, Kathleen Staples, said she is going to reach out to lawmakers about the possibility of tighter controls over fireworks. The state should consider requiring safety training courses before allowing someone to use them, she said. She compared fireworks with other regulated items such as cars and guns.

"At least it'd be a little bit more than, 'Here you go,'" Staples said. "That's an explosive. They didn't just hand me a license and put me in the car."
See I started to feel a little bad after the post above then I read this. His mother is wrong and her son was dumb. Now change all the laws and take everything away because of 1 moron. No one is responsible for their own actions these days.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Oh, it gets BETTER!

How does it get any better then to have a good laugh over the death of a young man? Quality stuff right there.
Because now she is being the typical jackass american. Change all laws to protect the stupid. It was tragic but it was also his own damn fault.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just wondering about the mechanics of how it happened for anyone more knowledgeable about fireworks than me (caps and sparklers are about my level.) I wonder would the down force from a mortar cause the injury, or did the round hang up in the tube and explode prior to launching.

Any fireworks aficionados able to shed some light on this?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never inferred it wasn't his fault, but I wont chit on his grave because he parents are reacting this way two days after their son died. Have at it if that's what you want to do.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
it blew his head off.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtyy1AUvs4s
This Award winner is still my favorite, he can still yell to you how it happened.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SLM
Maybe she should have taught her son a little common sense.

Not her responsibility to teach her son, that's the state's job...

That is the new norm.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by stxhunter
it blew his head off.

Guess I was hoping for a little more details as to mechanics of the fireworks....but thanks for that.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still laugh at this, this is Wiley Coyote stuff.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laugh Oh man,..that's gonna need some Salve.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
laugh Oh man,..that's gonna need some Salve.

Gonna leave a blister. smile

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I never inferred it wasn't his fault, but I wont chit on his grave because he parents are reacting this way two days after their son died. Have at it if that's what you want to do.

I had no desire to write my congressman/senators, whomever to ask for stricter gun control 2 days after my sister was shot in the face.

It's a shame but stupid does hurt and should.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I get what your saying and agree. Some folks want to blame everybody but the guilty party. Don't know how I would react initially though if my son had his head blown off and I'm damn sure I don't want to find out. I know I wouldn't be in my right mind for a while.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I heard Disney wants him for a remake of the headless horseman

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cv540
Originally Posted by stxhunter
it blew his head off.

Guess I was hoping for a little more details as to mechanics of the fireworks....but thanks for that.
Seems the mortar round blew up instead of going up in the air.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It'd be interesting to know how many 24hour members were just a c#nthair away from winning that award at one time or another. He thought it was a dud, it wasn't. He made a living entertaining for Disney and that night he was trying to get a laugh. It was a mistake he won't get to live with. BTW, this happened in my hometown and I have friends that are pretty shook up over this, including some first responders. He was a good kid that came from a rough family. His parents have now lost 2 (3 really) of 5. One brother was murdered by another brother. Now Devon. Bad deal all around.

Ptarmigan, it so much simpler to just dogpile a soundbite and rush to ridicule. Actually reading the whole story and gaining understanding of the event takes a little more effort and thought. Sorry for the loss. Thanks for your post.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
"Hold my beer,watch this!"

LMAO laugh

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a fairly compassionate person and am saddened when a young life is cut short. We had a couple of teen age girls that were walking on a sidewalk in the middle of the day when a drunk mowed them down and killed both of them. That was a tragedy and senseless loss. Countless kids and young adults die from cancer and that tears at my heart.

But a drunk putting and explosive on his head and blowing it off? I can't work up a scintilla of compassion for that sort of stupid savant.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'm a fairly compassionate person and am saddened when a young life is cut short. We had a couple of teen age girls that were walking on a sidewalk in the middle of the day when a drunk mowed them down and killed both of them. That was a tragedy and senseless loss. Countless kids and young adults die from cancer and that tears at my heart.

But a drunk putting and explosive on his head and blowing it off? I can't work up a scintilla of compassion for that sort of stupid savant.

I could not agree more.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.