Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

A prairie dog takes a lot of velocity and bullet explosion to get off the ground. A 220 swift with 50 grain bullets turns a prairie dog mound into Cape Canaveral...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
So what's the best way to cool varmint rifles in the field? I've tried wrapping barrels in wet cloths in the past. Can you just dump water down the barrel, run a patch through, then start shooting again? Is there any downside to quick cooling barrels? Can it mess up the temper of the steel?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
For the record, the highest "lift" I've ever seen on a PD occurred with a .204, shooting 40-grain "AccuTip" factory ammo, which are Hornady V-Max's with Remington-green tips.

Have some 250-bullet boxes of Z-Maxes picked up on sale when some store apparently couldn't sell 'em a couple years ago. They of course are also V-Maxes but with pale green tips. Dunno if they would lift any higher, but who knows what zombie power might do?

I've got some 168 grain Zmaxes for zombie deer and hogs.

A
acy Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by shrapnel

A prairie dog takes a lot of velocity and bullet explosion to get off the ground. A 220 swift with 50 grain bullets turns a prairie dog mound into Cape Canaveral...

[Linked Image]

Excellent timing on the photo!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Huntz
CO2

Seems to me that Coke employee should be able to wrangle a 20 lb bottle of that stuff from his service dept. for your next big hunt.

We used it on a baby copperhead that got into the office one day, then took it out and shattered it on the concrete.

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 06/29/15.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

You call that lift?

I shot the .220 Swift for many years on PD's and it never launched one like this particular Wyoming PD was heaven-sent by the .204.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
talentrec,

I just tilt the barrel down at about a 45-degree angle and pour water along the outside. Cools it right off.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Kirk,

You call that lift?

I shot the .220 Swift for many years on PD's and it never launched one like this particular Wyoming PD was heaven-sent by the .204.

I too scoff at the notion that you consider that lift!

For the .204 that would just be the first stage of the rocket! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
talentrec,

I just tilt the barrel down at about a 45-degree angle and pour water along the outside. Cools it right off.

And I don't.

But I'm gonna start!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Now if they would only make a 40 grain TTSX for the .204.... whistle

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Since MD is right about the .204,have you considered that he is also right about the .270 Winchester? wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
My considerations are selective.....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
A 12 gauge with duck loads doesn't create that kind of 'lift', and your shoulder hurts after a day out. We were silly kids. smile

Last edited by philthygeezer; 07/04/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Firearms cartridge guru Pete Forras taught me to carry a cooler full of ice water with good dish towels in it to drape over barrels during load development and zeroing.

We were using synthetic or metal chassis stocks so didn't worry about swelling.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Some years back, saw an article on a water-cooled varmint rifle. As I recall, it had a water jacket, and a small pump to circulate the water. Reminded me a bit of the old water-cooled machineguns...

Guy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ColdCase,

Pete Forras taught you to use "good" dish towels?

Was on a prairie dog shoot with Pete once when it was pretty hot, and there were lots of dogs. I pulled out a jug of water to pour over my barrel, and 20 seconds later was shooting again. Pete just grinned....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by talentrec
So what's the best way to cool varmint rifles in the field? I've tried wrapping barrels in wet cloths in the past. Can you just dump water down the barrel, run a patch through, then start shooting again? Is there any downside to quick cooling barrels? Can it mess up the temper of the steel?

Not unless it's starting to glow red hot. In that case I strongly suggest not dunking it in water smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GuyM
Some years back, saw an article on a water-cooled varmint rifle. As I recall, it had a water jacket, and a small pump to circulate the water. Reminded me a bit of the old water-cooled machineguns...

Guy

Powers Custom built those, I recall the article, too............

The big deal ws to keep the pressure the same around the barrel all the time, so impact wouldn't shift (and to cool it down). They (he built at least two) had regulators to manage that pressure, and ran a hose to a big cooler filled with ice and water (48qt. Coleman, or about that size).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 49 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,239
Posts18,466,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.