Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm so torn between buying a spotting scope or high power binos.

I have an ok pair of cabelas brand 8x binos that I'm pretty happy with. And was planning on upgrading them to vortex viper hd 10x binos. But in all reality my 8x cabelas work wonderful for quick glassing and spotting game.

I want something that I can spend time behind and really pick apart the hillsides now.

I'm looking at Vortex viper hd binos or spotter. 15x50 binos or 15-45x65 spotter.
I've looked through both in the store. And in the store looking at deer on the wall. Through the binos the deer appear very detailed and quite large. The spotting scope needs to be on 30x in order for the deer to be equal size. Detail is similar at any power in the spotting scope...just the size of the object looks way smaller. Given its only 100 yards or so across the store at very best.
In the field I have a pretty good line up of areas I hunt. And most distances I typically sit and glass are 300-1500 yards. With 80% of that falling in the 500-700 yard range. I typically stay away from glassing farther than 700 yards so I don't tempt myself into shots I'm not comfortable with.

I'm interested in the viper hd 15x50 binos due to them being light weight and I can still easily free hand them and carry them around my neck. But ultimately I will be using a tripod.

I'm curious at longer distance 1000-2000 yards will deer still appear small through the spotter as they do at 100ish yards.

What would the best route be give my brief hunting description.

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Going back and forth myself, I believe you'll be served very well with the 8x that you own, and a pair of 15x binos. For glassing all day, you'll be more comfortable with the binos vs spotter. In the end, the spotter might be better at judging the quality of deer, but the 15x will be better at seeing more deer.

I have a pair of 8x also, and will be buying a pair of 15x when I get the cash once again. I have owned both 15x and spotting scopes. The 8x and 15x will be my final setup. I tried to like using spotting scopes, but didn't enjoy the ease of use of the 15x and didn't feel like I miss much by not having a spotting scope. Just my 2 cents.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clearly you have not spent a lot of time glassing for game... There is no contest between what can be spotted with a scope versus a binocular. It is all about being able to spend the time it takes to really search the mountain.

Idahopro (a Vortex management guy) showed me how to actually do it right a year ago on Kodiak. He sat for hour after hour dissecting the mountainside, tiny increment by tiny increment. He had all sorts of options, but the spotter was the thing, period.

Glasses are good enough for quick surveys, but the real work sphere belongs to spotters. We saw 66 Kodiak bears in a long week and it is safe to assume he spotted the vast majority. Very few have done that to me...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I've spent countless hours behind my 8x binos. All i do the last 4 seasons is hunting high mountain sitting glassing.

I've had maybe 30 minutes of total spotting scope glassing with a very low quality simmons spotter. So no experience to compare.

If I did I wouldn't be asking which was the better route.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8930755/1

Not to be a jerk, but after decades of sitting on my ass and looking with all sorts of optics I have a pretty good idea what I am looking for.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Art, what spotter(s) are you using currently?

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sitka, unless I have been totally mislead, which happens, ...

Does not Pauls success in spotting through 12x45 binocs over you with the spotter lend credability to the OPs question?

Thanks for the detailed account.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not to disparage Art's opinion or experience at all but I see things a bit differently at least where and how I hunt.

My process is simple. I have the best optics I can justify but only three, an 8x45 Zeiss T RF, a Leica 15x56, and a Zeiss spotter. The spotter, for me, is to evaluate further that which I've already found with the other two.

I find it much easier for my eyes and comfort to sit behind the 15's for hours than a spotter for thirty minutes.

At least that's the view from here.😉

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's no secret that you can glass much longer through a good pair of binoculars than you can one-eyed through a spotting scope. It's not even close, comfort wise, as I've been doing it for years myself, with 10x42's on a tripod, and very high grade spotters. This class of spotter has no equal when evaluating game, but not so much for finding it, IME.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Save weight and clumsy spotters and a tripod and get 32mm Switch Power binoculars. Seven to twelve X. Superior!

[Linked Image]

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N

"Not to be a jerk, but after decades of sitting on my ass and looking with all sorts of optics I have a pretty good idea what I am looking for"-Sitka deer

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Clearly you have not spent a lot of time glassing for game... There is no contest between what can be spotted with a scope versus a binocular. It is all about being able to spend the time it takes to really search the mountain.

Idahopro (a Vortex management guy) showed me how to actually do it right a year ago on Kodiak. He sat for hour after hour dissecting the mountainside, tiny increment by tiny increment. He had all sorts of options, but the spotter was the thing, period.

Glasses are good enough for quick surveys, but the real work sphere belongs to spotters. We saw 66 Kodiak bears in a long week and it is safe to assume he spotted the vast majority. Very few have done that to me...

So you've been sitting on your ass for decades and last year a company exec "shows you how to do it right??? That's impressive. No offense, but a bear doesn't hold a candle to say, a coues deer.

Binos on a tripod to find them, spotter to judge them. Wait for the AZ boys to show up,
They'll steer you right.

Last edited by NMpistolero; 07/07/15.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Another vote for 15X on a tripod.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by SLM
Another vote for 15X on a tripod.

+1

Originally Posted by NMpistolero

Binos on a tripod to find them, spotter to judge them

+1

Ted
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
If judgement is completely out the window. Then binos are the no Brain choice it seems. I'm only looking to find animals

I'm hunting western Washington blacktail. And I've never shot anything bigger than a 2pt. Basically if it's legal its dead.

Last edited by bankwalker; 07/07/15.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've asked a few guides and hunters I hold in high esteem this exact question a couple times over the last week... and the consensus vote is 15's dominate a spotter for finding game... even smaller stuff at extended range (say deer at 2-3 miles).

Simply sticking your existing bino on a tripod is like adding 2-3x to the magnification. I hadn't realized how good my Michael J. Fox impression was until I set my glasses on the tripod and saw what a stable image looked like.

My question has evolved into 12x Mid-sized alpha binos vs. 15x "big eyes". I suppose if you were a serious "trophy hunter" or guide, and needed to judge between 28" and 30" to keep happy... then a spotter might be necessary. Me, I don't give a rip... if it looks like a big deer in the binocs... it'll look plenty big on my wall.

Here's an additional question to enhance the OP's....

If you wanted an all-around glass for spotting/observing game in a hunting environment (from "bean fields and senderos" to the "back country").... would you choose a spotter or a binoc? Say a $1500 budget... what would you chose?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bankwalker
I'm so torn between buying a spotting scope or high power binos.

I have an ok pair of cabelas brand 8x binos that I'm pretty happy with. And was planning on upgrading them to vortex viper hd 10x binos. But in all reality my 8x cabelas work wonderful for quick glassing and spotting game.

I want something that I can spend time behind and really pick apart the hillsides now.

I'm looking at Vortex viper hd binos or spotter. 15x50 binos or 15-45x65 spotter.
I've looked through both in the store. And in the store looking at deer on the wall. Through the binos the deer appear very detailed and quite large. The spotting scope needs to be on 30x in order for the deer to be equal size. Detail is similar at any power in the spotting scope...just the size of the object looks way smaller. Given its only 100 yards or so across the store at very best.
In the field I have a pretty good line up of areas I hunt. And most distances I typically sit and glass are 300-1500 yards. With 80% of that falling in the 500-700 yard range. I typically stay away from glassing farther than 700 yards so I don't tempt myself into shots I'm not comfortable with.

I'm interested in the viper hd 15x50 binos due to them being light weight and I can still easily free hand them and carry them around my neck. But ultimately I will be using a tripod.

I'm curious at longer distance 1000-2000 yards will deer still appear small through the spotter as they do at 100ish yards.

What would the best route be give my brief hunting description.

My opinion , this would depend on the quality of the Bino and the Spotting Scope of which to buy.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Here's an additional question to enhance the OP's....

If you wanted an all-around glass for spotting/observing game in a hunting environment (from "bean fields and senderos" to the "back country").... would you choose a spotter or a binoc? Say a $1500 budget... what would you chose?

A used Leica Duovid, with tripod.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tomk
Art, what spotter(s) are you using currently?

I have a number of spotters including the Vortex Razor 11-33x50, which is a surprisingly good glass and seems to perform, to most eyes, way better than it should. Last December I spotted a Coues in AZ at considerable distance and described the antlers very precisely at far greater distance than I would have considered possible.

The guy beside me using the huge Swaro glasses and spotter was not sure about my description. When we got closer it was obvious my description was right on... and it was not much bone...

I also have bigger and smaller but for the OPs use I would consider it a great compromise for weight, size, and money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ready
Sitka, unless I have been totally mislead, which happens, ...

Does not Pauls success in spotting through 12x45 binocs over you with the spotter lend credability to the OPs question?

Thanks for the detailed account.

I did say that about as backward as possible, didn't I? I was in a hurry and failed to go where I intended...

Both are key...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NMpistolero

"Not to be a jerk, but after decades of sitting on my ass and looking with all sorts of optics I have a pretty good idea what I am looking for"-Sitka deer

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

So you've been sitting on your ass for decades and last year a company exec "shows you how to do it right??? That's impressive. No offense, but a bear doesn't hold a candle to say, a coues deer.

Binos on a tripod to find them, spotter to judge them. Wait for the AZ boys to show up,
They'll steer you right.

I have done a lot more than most and I doubt many could run close to what Paul did. I have also hunted Coues enough to know they do not hold a candle to bears for spotting difficulty at times. They are very much like bears in that they can disappear in an invisible wrinkle and never be seen again. They do not stand out any more or less and bears are not nearly as predictable.

Most brown bear glassing distances are every bit as far as the longest Coues glassing distances and the weather can be sporty and far worse than mirage. The first mile to two are across water where Paul and I were glassing.

Paul may be "just" a company exec as you think of it, but his hunting and guiding experience is what got him there and he still gets to get out and hunt a lot. I have hunted with hundreds of folks as guide and hunter and the notion Paul has to take a back seat to any of them is funny.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.