Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have looked through the razor 11-33x50 side by side with the viper hd 15-45x65. And the razor definitely did not work to well for me. Granted that was in a store.

To one of my main concerns. Viewing game at 1000 yards. Will the animals be bigger through the binos or spotting scope.
In cabelas the other day. The deer on the wall at 100 yards we're much larger through the 15x binos. The spotting scope needed to be on 30x to match the same size view.

Again 15x50 viper hd binos vs 15-45x65 viper hd spotter

GB1

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Glad I posted. This is really helping my decision alot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Order of importance for me...

1. quality 8x or 10x binoculars with tripod

2. quality spotter

3. quality 15's

Whats weird is that I use my 15's the most of all my optics but they don't take the place of the 10's or the spotter but they compliment them both greatly.

Last edited by huntsonora; 07/07/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bankwalker,

Here's a little twist. I have 7X50 for my walk around binos. Then the next one is a 10X50 if I am going to quickly look at distance. Next up is 15X58 when I am going to sit down and really look over an area.

I sold the spotters. When I find game I get behind the Swarovski z5 5-25X52 or the Leupold VX-6 4-24X52. Both of these are rifle scopes. When I find something I think I want to take a closer look at I already decided it is a game animal and may want to kill it. I want to get on it with the rifle, not another passive optical instrument.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Binoculars to find.......spotter to judge

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
bankwalker,

Here's a little twist. I have 7X50 for my walk around binos. Then the next one is a 10X50 if I am going to quickly look at distance. Next up is 15X58 when I am going to sit down and really look over an area.

I sold the spotters. When I find game I get behind the Swarovski z5 5-25X52 or the Leupold VX-6 4-24X52. Both of these are rifle scopes. When I find something I think I want to take a closer look at I already decided it is a game animal and may want to kill it. I want to get on it with the rifle, not another passive optical instrument.

I almost beat a guys ass once in Wyoming for looking at me through his rifle scope. I was pissed! Rifle scopes are used when you're ready to kill an animal, not for glassing IMO

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You done it now Drum... Grin....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
huntsonora,

I almost beat a guys ass once in Wyoming for looking at me through his rifle scope. I was pissed! Rifle scopes are used when you're ready to kill an animal, not for glassing IMO

You must be the baddest dude on the net! How close did you get to beat the guy? One hundred yards? How did you discover he was looking at you through his scope? With yours?

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
15's, nothing like a quality pair for spotting game.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
15s for finding animals.

Kent

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
huntsonora,

You must be the baddest dude on the net! How close did you get to beat the guy? One hundred yards? How did you discover he was looking at you through his scope? With yours?

I got close enough to take his rifle away from him, take his picture and make him sign a statement saying he pointed a gun at me while trespassing on private property. Close enough? When he hopped the fence I watched him through binoculars and hollered at him to stop, that was when he pointed the rifle at me and kept it on me for a few seconds. His excuse was he didn't have binoculars. Didn't matter, our was ridiculous and aiming a loaded weapon at somebody is not smart

I'm more than happy to provide you with my clients phone number if you would like to call them. This happened almost 20 years ago but I'm sure they remember it well

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by huntsonora
bankwalker,

Sure seems to me he said he uses his scope once he knows it's a game animal that he will potentially shoot.....not glassing searching for game through his scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bankwalker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
bankwalker,

Sure seems to me he said he uses his scope once he knows it's a game animal that he will potentially shoot.....not glassing searching for game through his scope.

I mentioned why I felt that wasnt the smartest idea and he went internet tough guy. You should buy the proper equipment for the job IMO.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
thanks Art

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
huntsonora,

he went internet tough guy.

Who "went internet tough guy"? I suggested "you might be the baddest dude on the net." Maybe your memory is not as good as you thought.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Not to disparage Art's opinion or experience at all but I see things a bit differently at least where and how I hunt.

My process is simple. I have the best optics I can justify but only three, an 8x45 Zeiss T RF, a Leica 15x56 HD, and a Zeiss spotter. The spotter, for me, is to evaluate further that which I've already found with the other two.

I find it much easier for my eyes and comfort to sit behind the 15's for hours than a spotter for thirty minutes.

At least that's the view from here.😉

My walk about hunting is done with 8x because after years of using 10's I find I have to Usually stabilize them with a rifle barrel or some other means; 8's give up little in magnification for me but I can hold them steady enough to be effective. But if I'm going to sit in a spot and really glass, it's the 15's on a tripod no contest. They also can be used effectively in a truck and on a window with the proper window clamp. With a spotter in this situation, I usually find there is just enough truck movement either from wind or me moving around to keep me from getting a good stabilized view. So again, for me, the 15's rule while hunting with the eyes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
huntsonora,

he went internet tough guy.

Who "went internet tough guy"? I suggested "you might be the baddest dude on the net." Maybe your memory is not as good as you thought.

I know what you said. Anytime somebody mocks somebody like you did with the "baddest dude on the net" statement you basically go internet tough guy. GFY and buy the right equipment for the job

Last edited by huntsonora; 07/08/15.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would say!!!!!!! We all would be surprised at How many times someone has had us in there rifle scope without us knowing. crazy

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 07/08/15.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
huntsonora,

I know what you said. Anytime somebody mocks somebody like you did with the "baddest dude on the net" statement you basically go internet tough guy. GFY and buy the right equipment for the job

Whose the person who hijacked an optical thread to badger another poster and brag about "almost" beating up on another person? I do have the correct equipment. The stuff I have is to impress me, no one else.

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
From the outside looking in, I thought you sounded like a smartasss too Ringman. Sorry.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.