J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bankwalker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I have unintentionally done exactly this.

Found a buck I thought was legal through my 8x binos. Got all setup to take the shot. And as soon as I got my scope (set at 10x) on it to take the shot I could see it was not legal....and after cranking my scope to 16x I could definitely see it was not legal.

I was 100% positive it was legal and ready to kill that buck. Never glassed it with my scope as a way to determine whether or not it was legal.

You should update your binoculars to a good set of 10's first

Ringman clearly stated that he uses his rifle scope in place of a spotting scope and those are used for glassing

The only two people that "don't get it" are you and Ringman

Looks like the only people who DO get it is me and ringman

If that's the case, you can end this thread and carry on with it via PM with Ringman. See what that gets you.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I have unintentionally done exactly this.

Found a buck I thought was legal through my 8x binos. Got all setup to take the shot. And as soon as I got my scope (set at 10x) on it to take the shot I could see it was not legal....and after cranking my scope to 16x I could definitely see it was not legal.

I was 100% positive it was legal and ready to kill that buck. Never glassed it with my scope as a way to determine whether or not it was legal.

Ringman clearly stated that he uses his rifle scope in place of a spotting scope and those are used for glassing

The only two people that "don't get it" are you and Ringman

Looks like the only people who DO get it is me and ringman

Bud, do you know what you are even saying and to who? Likely not so you get a pass....

I was trying to help in the other thread but you just go ahead and try to find some critters through that fuzzy donut hole you'll be looking through....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider

You must be a democrat, as you conveniently left out half the original quote. BTW, huntsonora and scenarshooter have probably forgot more about big game hunting, including optics, than you'll ever know.

Yup.... sonora showed up to shoot some prairie dogs today with $1500 worth of guns.... and $6000 worth of optics. Sure is fun to watch pasture poodles get pummeled in HD....

Here's a hint 'walker..... anytime you find yourself using the phrase "Ringman and I are the only ones who get it".... you should kick yourself in the nuts....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I guess I can read between the lines. And understand the point Ringman was making.

But in classic 24hourcampfire fasion. You clowns destroy aNY topic ringman posts in.

I've been a member of this forum long enough and been lurking on it 3 times as long. I should have known how this would go.

You cant ask a simple questions and expect anyone's opinions to be left alone without 4 pages of people bashing eachother.

So I'll take my question elsewhere from bow on. So hopefully I'll get straight up help.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
huntsonora,

I have a very nice 10X and a very nice 15X. I don't pack them in the woods where I use the 7X.

I don't understand all the PC stuff. A firearm is pointed somewhere all the time. On the way to the range or fields or woods it pointed at cars and houses and barns with people in them. I wouldn't be surprised if you holier than thou guys point your gun case with the firearm inside at others whether at the range or other places.

When you're in the woods or fields to you keep your rifle pointed at the passing airplane because it's on a shoulder strap on you shoulder? Or do you hold in one or two hands so that it's waving all over the woods and fields? It points at everything under the sun, including other hunters you may never see.

There is something you guys are refusing to get: I establish with the binos it is a game animal before I check it with the scope. But carry on.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
huntsonora,

I have a very nice 10X and a very nice 15X. I don't pack them in the woods where I use the 7X.

I don't understand all the PC stuff. A firearm is pointed somewhere all the time. On the way to the range or fields or woods it pointed at cars and houses and barns with people in them. I wouldn't be surprised if you holier than thou guys point your gun case with the firearm inside at others whether at the range or other places.

When you're in the woods or fields to you keep your rifle pointed at the passing airplane because it's on a shoulder strap on you shoulder? Or do you hold in one or two hands so that it's waving all over the woods and fields? It points at everything under the sun, including other hunters you may never see.

There is something you guys are refusing to get: I establish with the binos it is a game animal before I check it with the scope. But carry on.

It would take to much logic to understand that last point in your post. It was typed clear as day in your original post

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Never mind the pass....

- Greg

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I've been a member of this forum long enough and been lurking on it 3 times as long. I should have known how this would go.

So in all of those years of lurking, have you read any of RM's other 17000 posts? I'm sure he's a really nice guy and all, but his, uh, "practices and procedures" can be a bit baffling at times IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What's amazing is that I've never responded to a Ringman post and didn't have a clue that he had a history here of saying crazy stuff

A rifle scope is no substitute for a spotter, furthermore, I would much prefer to use a good set of 15's do do the job he's using his rifle scope for. I don't expect you or ringman to understand what I'm saying but a case in point is I would much rather have a set of 40x Doctor or Kowa optics than have a 70x spotter. My buddy that has a set of 40x Doctors and I fight to sit behind his glass rather than mine. The field of view, light gathering capabilities and depth perception smoke the spotter and the same holds true for his rifle scope and a set of 15's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Yup.... sonora showed up to shoot some prairie dogs today with $1500 worth of guns.... and $6000 worth of optics. Sure is fun to watch pasture poodles get pummeled in HD....

Here's a hint 'walker..... anytime you find yourself using the phrase "Ringman and I are the only ones who get it".... you should kick yourself in the nuts....

Lmao!

This morning was a blast, thank you for taking me and thanks for helping me get those rifles dialed in

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
This thread has been full of win...from scoping things to blatantly ignoring and arguing with some pretty knowledgeable folks on the original question.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Az native here, and a died in the wool Coues deer hunter where optics MAKE OR BRAKE a hunt. Period.

I use Leica Duovids and a Leica spotter. The beauty about this, I dont have to decide about high quality 10s or 15s. However, I have seen this topic brought up about 1000 times and it always turns out the same. Guys recommend a quality pair of 8x or 10x for neck wear, and then top tier 15x for in the pack/spotting and I agree with this. IMHO, a lot has to do with the TYPE of hunter you are.

For instance, if you are like Scenarshooter and Greenhorn, who kill the absolutely biggest animals their unit has to offer, then the spotter takes on a great importance.

On the other hand, if you are like 90% of the others out there, all you are looking or is a mature, or subadult deer to hang your tag on a fill the freezer (I fit in this category), then the spotter is not necessary as trophy potential is not of top tier priority, spotting the animal and getting it on the ground is.

Like I previously mentioned, and has been said here already, switch power binos really take this question out of the line up and allow really anyone to have 3 pieces of gear in two packages.

I run :
Leica 10-15x50 Duovids
Leica APO 77 Televid Spotter
Leica 1200 LRF.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There's just something about the optics forum...things most always go sideways.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
firstcoueswas80,

That's pretty much the system I use.

Once upon a time carried two binoculars, an 8x32 and a 15x, plus a spotter, but when the Duovids came out eventually settled on the 8+12x. Found the optics were good enough for the 12x end to have a definite advantage over 8x or 10x but the overall package was much smaller and handier than the 10+12x.

These days whether I also pack a spotting scope depends on whether I'm hunting meat or trophies. Used to do far more trophy hunting, but not as much these days, so just taking the Duovid(or even a straight 10x) is plenty. Don't even bother with a tripod for the binocular unless the spotter's along, as I always have some shooting sticks along and have found they steady the Duovid more than sufficiently when I'm sitting down.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry my good optics out with me, regardless of where, or what I'm hunting...there's no worse feeling than being back in 8 or 9 miles and wishing for your spotting scope, and tripod that you left in the truck to save carrying a little weight. Even if I'm out trying to fill a cow tag, my optics are with me. If I see a buck, bull, or bear, I want to know exactly what it is...I may go back and hunt that animal on a future hunt, or take a friend in for it.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Can't you just do that with your scope Pat? Grin...

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apparently you didn't get what he said any better than you did what I said. He didn't say he got on it to verify he was going to shoot at it. The animal was not a quarry at the time of the sighting. That is opposed to the idea I put my scope on one that is a quarry.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm just glad that when I was sitting on this hill, glassing the far slope.....
[Linked Image]

Looking at and filming this deer.....

[Linked Image]

....I had more than just a rifle scope with me

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I just pissed my pants........

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

So I'll take my question elsewhere from bow on. So hopefully I'll get straight up help.

I retract my advice...

Kent

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,155
Posts18,465,109
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.