Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
now that was a quality post at its best!
:>

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are not into sporting, remember? And have headed it the trap and skeet thread, so figured I'd stay with the bare minimum so as not to send it off on a tangent. grin

Particulars would be around 600 shells fired for practice on a SC course.

laissez les bons temps rouler
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
lol.
seems clays in general are dead on 24hr overall.
heck, sent out a www invite to what, 55,000 members and get 1 interested in a meet, with a 6 month heads up?
wow.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For the most part rifles are obviously the main focus here and one of the reasons I like the joint. For myself, something different and more than a few that know their way around them.

However, glad you signed on. Hang in there. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobski
lol.
seems clays in general are dead on 24hr overall.
heck, sent out a www invite to what, 55,000 members and get 1 interested in a meet, with a 6 month heads up?
wow.

Have had a look or two at your thread on the shoot. Were I not 800 miles away and employed, I would be on your invite like rust on a Dodge. Unfortunately, my only fall week of vacation will be spent 20 feet up a tree during the rut. But a HORRENDOUSLY generous offer you have laid out there, sir !!

I've been shooting trap recreationally for about 10 years..........if and when i ever have time. Actually started with a little English stocked SxS 20. Could usually run 19-21 registered birds. But never shot in any competitions.

Decided a few years in to try a better fitting gun. Picked up a Winchester Select Energy Sporting. That's about when my available shooting time ran out. Last time I shot was last summer at a local club. Shot a 49/50. I love shooting. Just no time.

As far as skeet goes........couldn't even tell you where there's a facility anywhere around here. Would LOVE to try SC sometime (I must still be young-ish). But again..........time.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Where you live?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Judging from your location "outside the burgh", probably not too awfully far away.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Then if you find time for SC give me s PM. A few courses are close.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Is that THE burgh, as in PITTSburgh? Then you are 800 miles from Vanzant Skeet farm! Bob.........Your farm, Clubhouse, and fields are great, but the location kills it, IMHO. The drive from the Mountain Grove Motels are OK, but 3 hours from the Big Airport + Car Rental puts a heck of a premium on the trip.

NO APPLAUSE......JUST THROW MONEY!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What kills it for me is the fact that it's prime time for grouse and woodcock in Minnesota.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That would be it and yep way to far, but it sounds like a fun time.

Shot a SC tournament today. No rain. Ha!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue

Shot a SC tournament today. No rain. Ha!!!!

Wow !! The clay gods smiled on you. You got one of our 29-percenter days !!! smirk

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yea, I was wondering about that bright orb in the sky. Odd thing it was.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by battue

I hear many say slap the trigger hard. I'm not for anything that moves my head around. Either in the mount or hitting the trigger. I can't think of any eye/hand game where bouncing your head around is an advantage.

Hey Battue, when folks say slap the trigger they don't mean to slap it like ya do the old lady, they mean to pull it quickly rather than squeeze it like a rifle. If you see someone slapping it so hard their head is bouncing around, take a video, I'd like to see that.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree, but I've seen more than a few interpret slap to be what I would consider to be a yank.

Also it would be interesting to video many shooters and notice just how much head movement is going on. Often the mount brings about a lot of it. They slap the stock into the cheek.

Watched a video of George Digwwed once and he was asked what is the biggest mistake you see in most shooters? His replay was the head is not still and made reference to how little the head moves with professional golfers, tennis and baseball players.

For myself anyway, and it could be wrong, I squeeze a rifle trigger from the bench. However, on quick shoots where there is little time to mess around,
I hit a rifle trigger much the same as a shotgun. In fact on either when things are going good the trigger pull is keyed from the eyes. It just happens.

Last edited by battue; 07/15/15.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I compete at rimfire benchrest and even with a 2 oz trigger I pull it and other rifle triggers way different than a shotgun.

I'm getting back into skeet after a long hiatus and really enjoying it again. I'm shooting on a weekday morning with a bunch of other old retirees and having a ball. It's coming back to me fairly quickly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Know a few shooters who are up there and they meet every Tues-Thrus-Sat AM on a local skeet range. They really enjoy the shooting.

bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
im not set up for customer convienence or to be a hospitality service. and its not really about shooting. its about being at my home and relaxing with friends. if im too inconvienient, well there ya have it. im not worth the trip i guess.
tomon, what you may have missed was, it was my home. its not a shooting facility. but i think you know that because i met you.
its not every day someone opens their home up to strangers, but i do. and its not every day the host(a retired pro,) teaches for free on his personal range either.
if coming out to my place is too hard for any of you, then youre coming for the wrong reason. its suppose to be about visiting a friend who invites you to his home to shoot.
and its a place where all of you get to see each other and have a good time with guns on a cheap dime. i keep it cheap because i know you all are spending good coin just to get here.
as far as being in vanzant so far out in the sticks killing the shoot....sorry, its what 1/2 of gun owning americans dream of having but cant, so they borrow/rent//pay dues at other clubs to be able to pull a trigger.
for those lurking, tomon came to one of my shoots last year with a group of guys from another website and got rained out due to a hurricane passing thru in oct.... of all things. they wanted to film some shooting to boost their website and celebrate the grand opening of their site. i offered my home to them and they came.
only 4 shot in between downpours and 7 never made connections at airports. the camper/rv never made it so camping fell thru.
i never really got a chance to give them my program, they opted out of dinner in town, all the day two events got poofed, and decided to just pop a few rounds, took back some of their clays, loaded up, and went to shoot in someones cow field and drank beer on sunday. i hope to see them again some day.
so id say weather killed the event, not distance or me, and i dont have any control over that.
my farm effects 2 kinds of people. either they are city slickers with their smart phones texting the whole time saying what in Gods name did i get myself into, or its country boys that feel right at home around the cows and tractors. :>

all i know is its mine, im your host, its here, its not some cheap hand cock flingers set up off my porch on a stool, its a by God professional range with clubhouse, im opening it up to you, all are welcome, and if you like it come back, if not... go meet in a holiday inn conference room on some interstate, drink beer, and talk about shooting. :> :>
the world shoot back in the 90's use to cost 1500.00 to register. took 6 flats of ammo, 8 bucks a practice game, it was 30 miles into town and on site food was offered by scalpers. 10.00 for a burger? really? local motels knew of the shoot and would jack the rates. when i think of all the millioneres that use to attend with their 300,000.00 rv's and gas costs to get there, i faint. most of them drove from the 4 corners, plus hawaii. thats california, maine, florida, and alaska to get to san antonio.... and didnt flinch.
let alone pulling out 50,000.00 shotguns too.
so all i can do is laugh at comparing what the premiums are to get to my place.

nope....my place is geared down.way down.
its suppose to be a retreat & a relaxing visit.

bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i just spent june in new york doing a tour of some of westchester counties fine trap clubs.
what a great time. checked in at the old homestead in connecticut and shot some in the n.w corner. what a blast.
btw....that was 500 miles from my home.
just got back to va.
hot and humid here. im starting to remember why i stopped shooting registered birds in the summer. its just too hot folks. i cant take it any more. its just fun shoots for me from now on.

how about you guys?
i dont know how you guys down in florida do it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Resurrecting this thread...

I'm into sporting clays, no trap or skeet for me. I live in western PA and have three pretty good courses near me. Nemacolin, Seven Springs, and Hunting Hills are the regular spots.

Try to get two or three rounds in per week on average.

Last edited by Scorpion; 08/07/15.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.