Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by cv540
Just wondering about the mechanics of how it happened for anyone more knowledgeable about fireworks than me (caps and sparklers are about my level.) I wonder would the down force from a mortar cause the injury, or did the round hang up in the tube and explode prior to launching.

Any fireworks aficionados able to shed some light on this?

I can speak to how deep an 81mm mortar can drive a baseplate into the dirt, but I have no expertise regarding fireworks mortars. Even with a 2.5' diameter baseplate, and relatively dry soil, an 81 can drive that baseplate at least two feet into the ground, after repeated rounds fired. Of course, it's tossing a 9 lb. round out there, out to nearly 3 miles at a max charge, so you can imagine the recoil involved.

Again, I have NO expertise regarding fireworks mortars.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well a friend fought cancer for three years, he just died and it was not pleasant, so someone being stupid with a deadly device of his own choosing does not get much sympathy from me.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'm a fairly compassionate person and am saddened when a young life is cut short. We had a couple of teen age girls that were walking on a sidewalk in the middle of the day when a drunk mowed them down and killed both of them. That was a tragedy and senseless loss. Countless kids and young adults die from cancer and that tears at my heart.

But a drunk putting and explosive on his head and blowing it off? I can't work up a scintilla of compassion for that sort of stupid savant.
+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JDK
I'm a fairly compassionate person and am saddened when a young life is cut short. We had a couple of teen age girls that were walking on a sidewalk in the middle of the day when a drunk mowed them down and killed both of them. That was a tragedy and senseless loss. Countless kids and young adults die from cancer and that tears at my heart.

But a drunk putting and explosive on his head and blowing it off? I can't work up a scintilla of compassion for that sort of stupid savant.

I could not agree more.

Kids is stoopid, they do stoopid things, it doesn't mean they deserve to die for their stoopidity. I can name a few things that if I would have succumbed to my own young stupidity, would most likely garner the same reaction. Some people are acting as if they never got drunk as a teen and did stupid crap.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by JDK
I can't work up a scintilla of compassion for that sort of stupid savant.

I could not agree more.

Kids is stoopid, they do stoopid things, it doesn't mean they deserve to die for their stoopidity.

I don't believe JDK or 458 Lott said or even implied that the guy deserved to die.

Perhaps you were just adding something to the conversation?

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by JDK

I could not agree more.

Kids is stoopid, they do stoopid things, it doesn't mean they deserve to die for their stoopidity. I can name a few things that if I would have succumbed to my own young stupidity, would most likely garner the same reaction. Some people are acting as if they never got drunk as a teen and did stupid crap.

Yeah, no one said he should have died. Of course your reading comprehension has never been stellar.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by JDK
I can't work up a scintilla of compassion for that sort of stupid savant.

I could not agree more.

Kids is stoopid, they do stoopid things, it doesn't mean they deserve to die for their stoopidity.

I don't believe JDK or 458 Lott said or even implied that the guy deserved to die.

No, I think they when they infer they have no sympathy for his foolishness, that implies he deserves what he got, no?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by JDK

I could not agree more.

Yeah, no one said he should have died. Of course your reading comprehension has never been stellar.

..and you're still a big mouth.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
there is no common sense anymore. People play video games and have very little exposure to reality. Kid's get no exposure for the most part to knives, hatchets, matches, guns, fireworks. We have seatbelt laws and airbags. Folks die because they have a fleeting concept of physics and reality. Brandon Lee killed himself with a blank on a movie set I guess about 20 years ago, put the gun to his head with a blank in it IIRC. Teach your kids and grandkids a little reality when ever possible. We cannot assume this kid was a moron, we can know he had no idea what he was did was going to kill him.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025

No, I think they when they infer they have no sympathy for his foolishness, that implies he deserves what he got, no?

No. That's utterly dishonest.

IC B3

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A nine year old boy was killed in a house fire that same weekend. His sister is in critical condition. No fault or doing of their own.

A drunk 22 year old puts a firework to his head and lights it. He is also dead.

Both are way too young but I know where my sympathies lie.

Originally Posted by jimmyp
there is no common sense anymore. People play video games and have very little exposure to reality. Kid's get no exposure for the most part to knives, hatchets, matches, guns, fireworks. We have seatbelt laws and airbags. Folks die because they have a fleeting concept of physics and reality. Brandon Lee killed himself with a blank on a movie set I guess about 20 years ago, put the gun to his head with a blank in it IIRC. Teach your kids and grandkids a little reality when ever possible. We cannot assume this kid was a moron, we can know he had no idea what he was did was going to kill him.

I agree but and this is a big but. The drunk 22 year old parents are now calling for State regulations of fireworks. I may not be the brightest bulb but I never considered drinking a bunch of Nattys and lighting a mortar on my head as being a good idea. Don't need the state to tell me that. We can't reward stupid.

Last edited by JDK; 07/07/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
His mom said he 'thought' it was a dud. How could she possibly know what was going thru his mind at the time? I mean, other than the mortar....

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No.

It implies you are scratching for stuff to get worked up over.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Agreed, I know I did plenty of things as a teen that were flat out stupid in hindsight. I think if most people are honest about things they would say the same.

Stupid move by the kid, yea. Deserves to die, no.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Now his mom is calling for stricter laws concerning fireworks.....

The stoopid apple didn't fall far from the stoopid tree.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by twofish

Stupid move by the kid, yea. Deserves to die, no.

The "kid" was 22, plenty old enough to know stupid. In todays Armed Forces, there are plenty of you men of that age who carry a huge responsibilty on their shoulders and are a credit to their family and country..

Looking at the mothers statment also reinforces that "stupid" is not age related..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now his mom is calling for stricter laws concerning fireworks.....

I'd speculate he was violating some regulation by simply picking the thing up. Maybe serial numbers and registration can fix stupid.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/08/15.

1Minute
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I feel for the family.

But as they say, you can't fix stupid (with more laws).

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
22 isn't a kid.

At 22 I was a Sergeant in the Marines, guarding an embassy in El Salvador, during a nasty civil war.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JDK

I could not agree more.

Talk about reaching

This isn't a criminal sentence, and life is not fair. As much as liberal progressives would like us to believe that there are no consequences to one’s actions and choices, and that participating is just as valuable as putting in a winning performance, it just isn’t so. I’ve shed countless tears for children I don’t know who have died through no fault of their own. I’m saddened by people who chose to take their own life when they fall into despair.

If this had been my own kid I’d certainly be saddened by the loss of his life, but instead of trying to blame others for his stupid actions, I’d be searching within myself how I’d failed as a parent.

It was an absolutely stupid beyond belief action. To considerate it anything other than that is ridiculous. There are consequences to actions and one really stupid action is often one’s last act. I’m sick and tired of this nation coddling and excusing the stupid. They should be made to understand at a young age that foolish behavior is not acceptable.

The definition of deserve is: to do something or have or show qualities worthy of (reward or punishment)

I guess I’ll be a heartless bastard to say by that definition, igniting and explosive on his head, he absolutely deserved what he got. No different than putting a gun to his head and pulling the trigger and expecting something other than blowing one’s brains out.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,200
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.