Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dragging's a drag. I mostly gave it up years ago. If it's all downhill, though, sometimes dragging is easier than hiking back for the llamas.

[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I saw earlier someone mentioning dragging with the back legs. I have found pulling against the hair is like pulling across Velcro.

Basically I am becoming more inclined to agree with a statement that Mule Deer made in a thread awhile back. Somthing to the effect that he is beginning to enjoy bitrd hunting more and more as pheasents are easier to pack out. Ain't it the truth.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Deer bone out and fit nicely in a pack.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good ole length of rope and or mule tape and do basically the same thing

tie legs to head or antlers away you go!

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SKane
A good tarp works wonders. On snow, the pull is barely noticeable.

Not all that different from what I use. An ice fishing Otter Sled. Even on dry ground it's 3x easier than dragging the deer with nothing. If there is snow you don't even know it's back there. Tarp or sled keeps the deer much cleaner too.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Okanagan
IF you are dragging a deer downhill or sidehill, it is a huge help to have one man drag in front and a second man to hold a rope tied to the deer's hind legs. The back end man keeps the critter's hind end from swinging downhill and brakes to keep the deer from rocketing down (at the wrong place) on slick grass or snow.

This is a good catalog of workable ideas that posters have used in their terrain and circumstances. Will admit that I got to laughing thinking about steep terrain, cliffs, blowdown timber and brush, and of dragging much larger deer than whitetails. If we hunt a variety of terrain it is good to know a variety of options, not just of dragging methods but non-dragging.

It has puzzled me a few times to find myself hunting with someone who has only one way to do something. One fellow insisted on dragging a large mule deer buck out whole, 250 yards up a slope so steep that to turn the buck loose while resting meant that it would tumble all the way to the bottom where we started. Exhausting, close-minded, and though I helped drag to preserve the friendship, I have not hunted with him again!

What amazes me is that people actually drag deer out.

Until recently MN and WI required the deer to be brought to a registration station, whole. So there was no 1/4'ing them up. Now we can tho. Much easier!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by SKane
A good tarp works wonders. On snow, the pull is barely noticeable.

Not all that different from what I use. An ice fishing Otter Sled. Even on dry ground it's 3x easier than dragging the deer with nothing. If there is snow you don't even know it's back there. Tarp or sled keeps the deer much cleaner too.

And sometimes, even with a sled or tarp, it still sucks. smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ihookem
I think it would break as soon as you had to give it a good pull over a log. I use a strap and rig it around the neck and tighten it around my waist until I have to lift it up a little bit to pull it. Makes it easier. The deer before that fell 40 yes from a logging trail with 3" of snow on the ground it was easy cause illegal ATV's went down the trail and packed the snow so it was almost ice. easy 3/4 mi. drag. Ussually though, I shoot my deer 100 yes from a river and let the canoe do the rest.

Now your talking!

I use a pirogue.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.