Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
If I remove the stock on a Model 70 with aluminum pillar bedding (e.g. Bell and Carlson or McMillan), and use a torque driver to reassemble it, will it return to zero pretty well assuming I tighten the screws to 35 inch-pounds in the same order and orientation every time? What sort of error could I expect to see?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes. Maybe a 1/2" error, certainly not enough to cause an issue.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
There's only one way to find out...

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I put "witness marks" on my Rem 660 when I removed it from the stock and it was dead on when I reassembled it. Most ot my rifles are off a little.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never remove a stock and replace it without checking zero on paper. If for nothing else , a peace of mind.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I often take the barreled actions out of their stocks when traveling, in order to use a take-down case. When they go back together they're usually off slightly at 100 yards, whether or not the stock is pillar-bedded ort not--but they're all epoxy-bedded. After the first shot, however, they normally start shooting right where they were sighted-in at home.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is what I do too. I've noticed the TSA give the "takedown" an abbreviated look cause its not as threatening.
The shorter rifle case makes it much easier to negotiate in a crowd also.
As someone already alluded to, there is only one way to find out, which I did for the first time today with a Sako Brown Bear in 375 H&H. Like Mule Deer said, there was a 1/2" difference with poi at 100 yards. Also I did this to confirm the "irons" were on at 50 yards - in case of a fall or I lose footing in a crick crossing.

I'll do this a few more times once I decide on which bullet to use on my moose hunt.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
If I remove the stock on a Model 70 with aluminum pillar bedding (e.g. Bell and Carlson or McMillan), and use a torque driver to reassemble it, will it return to zero pretty well assuming I tighten the screws to 35 inch-pounds in the same order and orientation every time? What sort of error could I expect to see?
I do one thing with my rifles when I reassemble them that no one has mentioned so far. I hit them on the floor from about six inches up [butt first naturally] a couple of times. They seem to not be as far off on the first shot if I do so.

I do the same thing if I take off annd remove a scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well My Blaser R-93 returns to zero zero pretty much ever single time I break it down and put it back together- they make them like that! But I always check zero before I go hunt just to be sure, old habit! I also will check from time to time during the season just so that there is no question- were I hunt these days it gets a little sticky if a deer runs off, private property, you have to contact the Game Warden to track game off your land!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

401 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.