Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Paladin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

A couple of weeks ago, John Linebaugh of Linebaugh Custom Sixguns had he annual seminar here in Cody. Folks come from all over for the three day gathering.

While the main theme of the seminar is of course big bore handguns, big bore rifles are also welcome. I brought the Merkel out to give those who may otherwise never have a chance to shoot a double in .470NE the opportunity. Several took me up on the offer as one might guess.

Here are some photos of some of the shooters.

The first set of photos are Lee Jurris of Super Vel and Automag fame. Lee is now up in his 80's but that didn't stop him from touching a couple off. He is of course an interesting character and one to hold pleasant conversation with.

[Linked Image]
Lee getting ready

[Linked Image]
Letting one go

This next young fellow was the youngest to shoot this go 'round at the age of I believe 15. He was apprehensive at first but let her go anyway.

[Linked Image]
Set to go

[Linked Image]
Touched off

[Linked Image]
That one rode up a little and got some cheek

[Linked Image]
Not one to let a bit of stock beat him up, he went for another go

This last set is of a fellow from here in the neighborhood. I didn't know it at the time, but I don't believe he had ever shot a large bore rifle before, and certainly not a double rifle.

[img]http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/TDBall56/Linebaugh%20Shoot-0149.jpg[/img]
On the mark

The poor feller managed to touch both barrels off at pretty much the same time. As can be seen, he no longer has a hold on the rifle. Fortunately, there was someone behind him and to the right who caught the old guy with his left hand and as luck would have it, caught the rifle with his right.

[img]http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab99/TDBall56/Linebaugh%20Shoot-0150.jpg[/img]
Up in the air

This year saw a pretty good turn out and it seemed most had a good time. Even the old guy above, up until the doubling part anyway.

Well, except for me also. I pulled a wormy stunt and let the stock of my .416 Taylor slip and the scope caught me in the nose. That left a mark.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Great pics, nothing quite like shooting a big bore!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice, I have a buddy that has a 375 and 500 NE in Merkel doubles. I have to say of all the big bores I have shot that 500NE Merkel was a pleasure to shoot from a balance, control and comfort standpoint.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I helped a good bud get ready for Africa, helped him reload for his Merkel .500 NE. I got to shoot it. It wasn't as bad as I expected, just a big push, not a mean slap like a Wby., etc.

I put two rounds about 2" apart at 25 yds., recovered from the first and hammered the target with the second, boom, boom.

Sorta impressed with that gun. I believe I could do some damage with that thing... smile

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My recoil tolerance is somewhere between a .470 Nitro, and a .577 Nitro.

My #1 in .475 Turnbull weighs 9 lbs 2 oz with scope, and I have benched it with no problems, with 500's loaded at 1975 fps.

The .577? I have fired one, once. If an elephant was charging me, and the .577 was laying in front of me, I'd have to think about it...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I guess everyone can't be a gunner500... shocked

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Grip it tightly, with your weight on your front foot, butt snug to the shoulder. When it recoils, it rocks you back on your rear foot. Not bad if done right. I've had both 577 and 600 NE double rifles, as well as 600 OK and 700 AHR bolt rifles. As Dirtfarmer said, they're much easier to handle than the fast-recoiling Weatherby rounds.

PS: Gunner500 now had my 577 Verney Carron double.

Last edited by Biebs; 07/07/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just a 'diller gun for gunner... shocked

Them Okie 'dillers are real killers, getting bigger every year... cool

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great photos. I still hold my Merkel 470 to be MUCH more comfortable to shoot than my CZ 458 Lott.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Typical Merkel, notorious for doubling...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Biebs
Grip it tightly, with your weight on your front foot, butt snug to the shoulder. When it recoils, it rocks you back on your rear foot. Not bad if done right. I've had both 577 and 600 NE double rifles, as well as 600 OK and 700 AHR bolt rifles. As Dirtfarmer said, they're much easier to handle than the fast-recoiling Weatherby rounds.

PS: Gunner500 now had my 577 Verney Carron double.

It was a privilege to shoot Gunner's VC .577. But despite holding on for dear life, it still made my teeth hurt on the first shot. Of course, I'm also about a foot shorter than Gunner, FWIW. smirk

Paladin was also kind enough to let me shoot the .470 mentioned above, and it was quite tolerable, offhand. It's always a pleasure shooting a fine double...at least when it doesn't give you a concussion. smile

I've shot my .475 Turnbull Ruger #1 off the bench with 500 gr Woodleigh SP's, and stiff charges of Varget. With scope it's a little over 9 lbs. I'm still working up loads, but I think I can eventually get it up to 2100 fps, which is well into Woodleigh's recommended range. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Paladin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Typical Merkel, notorious for doubling...

Easy there big fella. All the photos and commentary, and that's all you can say? You're going to blame the rifle?

If you'll recall, you are indeed correct about this rifle. This is the only time this rifle has doubled since I received it back from Merkel. It has since had several hundred rounds thought it, shot by folks from 13 year old girls to 80+ year old men without incident. I would guess that is more rounds than your typical double rifle will see in its lifetime these days. All without incident until a novice comes in.

This is also the first time it almost hit the ground. The man completely lost the rifle. The rifle was horizontal when the chap behind him caught it. Nothing to do with the rifle. It was partly the shooter, and my fault for not qualifying this fellow prior to letting him shoot.

If it were the fault of the rifle I will say so but in this case it wasn't.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I never had a Merkel double with me, but had heard that rumor about them.

To me, they seem like solid, good guns for the price, especially compared with some.

DF

Paladin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
DF,

The first time I heard Jorge mention Merkel's doubling was several years ago. I (we) ended up counting 8 or 10 I believe that doubled.

Mine was among them. It happened enough that I ended up sending mine back to Merkel. They changed the hammers and sears and when I asked why he simply said, "They were the old style". I bought my rifle used, unfired. It was about 5 years old at the time. Merkel never said anything about money or warranty, and that was OK in my book.

As I said, there have been enough rounds sent downrange since, that I know the rifle does not double on its own.

I agree with the quality and price. I've shot mine to 200m and others to 350 yards, so there's no issue with accuracy either. They're not just 50 yard rifles, which is another popular misconception.

David

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good info, Paladin.

If I ever end up with a Merkel, I'll inquire as to "old" vs. "new" style hammers and sears. If old, I'll get them swapped out.

Thanks,

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sorry man, didn't remember your issue with it. I have been tracking this for sometime now, and I'm up to 14 documented doublings with Merkels, and a few even with bent triggers

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
jorge,

What about the report of "old" vs. "new" sears and hammers?

If there is a retrofit of better sears/hammers, a trip back may be a good idea. Other than that, they seem to me to be pretty good double guns.

Not to be confused with "other than that, Ms. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
DF: I have not been able to discern between old and new, just raw numbers and one gent at DSC (I wish I could remember his name) that participated in a Big Bore gunshoot and the Merkel rep quietly folded up his wares after a couple of them doubled.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One would hope Merkel would/could solve that issue, as it's a good, solid gun at a reasonable price, comparatively speaking.

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had 4 Merkel DRs, and never had one double. To me, they're one of the better deals in a solid, no-nonsense double rifle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.