Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Do you guys like these or are they just noisemakers? Can I still get ammo for this?
If a 9mm is better than a 45 then this must be even better because it is even smaller. whistle
whelennut

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
They're cool. I couldn't find ammunition locally - but RJM set me a couple boxes. I like the retro-modern 50's design of the pistol . . .

> http://takeaimguns.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/004.jpg <

The Awesome CZ 52 - GUNBLAST . . .

> http://www.gunblast.com/RKCampbell_CZ52.htm <<

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like mine. It's very accurate and flat shooting. It does not fit my hand well, but it's still a kick to take out and blast rabbits with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
By all accounts I've heard they are decent guns. IIRC not as strong as a Tokarev, and prone to some parts breakage, but I don't recall the whole story.

For a little less money you can get a barrel for a 1911, though it will be a handloading proposition

http://www.jgsales.com/j-g-sales-7.62x25-tokarev-barrel-kit,-6,-for-1911-wilson,-kimber,-springfield-in-9mm-or-38super.-new.-p-6472.html

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ammo is available from Graf's, $21+ for 50.

If CZ ever made any junk, I haven't heard of it.

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have had two since the late 1990s when they first became available. The market was so flooded with them at one point one could buy them at gun shows for $90.00. Currently a nice one will run you $275.00.

The guns are very accurate if you can get the hang of shooting them. Some of the trigger pulls are tough. They are loud, like shooting a Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine and about as fast.

Not sure how the ammo supply is at this point. J&G Sales used to have a lot of surplus ammo. It was good for plinking but it had a lot of delay in the ignition...to the point that one could hear the hammer hit the firing pin and then...bang.

I also picked up one of the Vazatava Toks...also a nice gun with a much better safety than most...they do shoot low however.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
makarov.com used to carry accessories for them, but they went out of business.

These guys

http://harringtonproducts.com/

appear to have some useful accessories for the CZ-52. And they mention firing pins, so I think it was firing pins that tended to break on original guns.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're generally good guns. They are known to break a locking roller from time to time, and they do break firing pins. The firing pin is just the goofiest design and it's no wonder they break every now and then. So if you get it, do yourself a favor and shop for a firing pin ahead of time. They kinda come in spurts, they're available then not available. Locking rollers, I haven't heard of them being a problem to get so I wouldn't sweat it.

Okay so that's for the negative side. On the positive, they're reliable, quite accurate and a lot of fun. If you buy by the case, ammo can be cheap.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
My friend and I each bought one and split a case of ammo it was very cheap.
What I like is that it fits into any 1911 holster
So I like to wear it in the woods. It has enough velocity so that it should put a hurtin on anything I will run into. At one time it was considered high velocity. It should penetrate well with the fmj bullets.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have posted this before, but will again. When we sent a bunch of glocks to iraq for the police, they promptly sold them on the black market and went back to this round. Much better for penetrating car doors, windows, etc.
i know i shot one through the steel lid of a 50gallon barrel, and the tank for a air compressor.
The cz has been reported to break firing pins with dry firing.
the ammo is available but there have been times you just couldn't find it. I would buy a suitable supply.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I blew up two CZ52s in 2000.
It took us until 2005 to figure out why some blew up and some did not. The chamber is very thin on the bottom. There is a roller block relief cut under the chamber. The RC hardness testing we did at JPL [fancy place but we just used their hardness tester] varied from RC25 to RC47.
In 4140 steel that is a variation in tensile strength from 120 ksi to 223 ksi.
There are some load books before 2005 that say that the CZ52 is stronger than the Tokarev; AA and Sierra. And some that imply that.
That error traces back to 1970:
(FSTC-CW-07-03-70), page 211
We have notified all the load book and magazine article sources that repeated the error. I am not aware of recent publications that loads the CZ52 hotter than the Tokarev or C-96.
The corrective action for AA was to cut the CZ52 load pressures in half, and then stop publishing load for the CZ52.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
makarov.com used to carry accessories for them, but they went out of business.

These guys

http://harringtonproducts.com/

appear to have some useful accessories for the CZ-52. And they mention firing pins, so I think it was firing pins that tended to break on original guns.

Thanks...I didn't know if these guys were still in business or not. I have one of their barrels and firing pin kits...makes a big difference in shootability...

Need to get mine out and shoot them some more...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I believe i saw in a J&G flier ammo for sale the other day.
i could be wrong about this, often am, but i think one of the issues was the ammo being fired in these pistols. That round was loaded in some varieties pretty hot for machine gun use, didn't go over so well in the pistols.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/13/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

709 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 3,437 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.