Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Deflave: Have you tried to do that lately? Even though the the BATF frequently asked questions clearly state that it is legal to ship a firearm to yourself, the mechanics of doing so are another story. When you tender a package to either FEDEX or UPS you sign an agreement to abide by the terms and conditions in their respective Service Guide.They will only accept firearms from and to dealers. From the FEDEX Service Guide:
"FEDEX is required to transport and deliver firearms ... but only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, licensed collectors, law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department."
Firearms must be declared to the common carrier when they are tendered and must be shipped premium service (Next Day Air). Be advised that air cargo shipments are now being x-rayed. U. S. Mail will not accept handguns. I do not know what USPS regulations are for long guns. UPS requirements are the same as FEDEX. Have not checked DHL but I bet they have similar language.

BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I only use UPS and have never had an issue.

They do insist on it shipping next day air (two day here because we don't have next day) if it is handgun.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I flew to San Antonio last March for the 24HCF Hog Hunt. I put all of the guns in 1 GOOD hard case that locked. Granted I was also taking a rifle and shotgun. I had the hand gun in that case, so I'm not sure about only taking a small hand gun case. United said we could put the ammo in that case, so I did. Check the regs. with your airline. We went to the United ticket counter and a very nice lady saw the gun cases and asked about them. We told her firearms, so she took us to the side and put us with a lady that really knew what she was doing. They make you sign an orange TSA Declaration Card, open the case and they throw it inside and tag the outside with a "firearms" tag. Then she took them to the TSA where they opened and inspected mine, but only swabbed the outside of Joe's case. But then they opened and inspected Joe's suitcase where his ammo was. They gave us a little run around.

When we came back through San Antonio, still had to sign the card and open the case, but the TSA guys were nice and happy. They took us in a back room, swabbed them and sent us on our way. They obviously see a lot of guns through there. It was like night and day.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Also, when you get to your destination, we picked up our guns at the oversize luggage place. You have to show a picture ID or your luggage claim check in order to claim you gun case.

Make sure your name, address, and phone number is on your case.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
From the UPS service guide:
Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.
If you address the package as per the BATF FAQ to yourself in care of some one else that has to be an FFL. Most UPS offices (you cannot tender firearms to franchises like The UPS Store) the counter people will ask to see an FFL (see paragraph (b) above) and check the address on the package to match.
Deflave, I am not being argumentative. If your local UPS is still allowing you to ship without involving at least 1 FFL holder in the transaction, they won't be doing it for long. Again from the UPS service guide:
Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.

When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager
The baggage containing the handgun will be specially tagged and moved to a secure pick-up area at your arrival destination.

I flew from Erie, PA to Detroit to Minneapolis to Boise last year and this was not true. The baggage went through without any special exterior tags or markings.

The baggage did have an orange card to be placed inside the baggage, not visible to anyone. In Boise the TSA attendant said it needed to be inside the gun case, which made no sense to me but that was the only difference.

The advice to check the regs for the airline you're flying, and print them out, is the best advice. The attendant at the ticket counter will probably direct you to do the auto check-in. Just whisper to him or her that you are flying with a firearm and you'll be given the attention you need, and none you don't need. You may even get to see them swab everything for explosive residue.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is hard to fly with handguns. Their L/D is very low.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's why I like this forum, and this type of thread, lots of input from all over. Every time I fly and check a gun, something is different, to a certain point, hence the last minute check of specific airline rules that you are flying with. Airports, agents, rule changes, moon phases, having up to date info printed and with you when you check in is key. The first time I flew with one checked, I stood at the counter and listened to the agents argue with each other about the rules, until I showed them the internet printout. Then they all just shrugged and said ok. Good luck.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
TSA only rarely even looks at guns and I have not had one verify they are unloaded in years. Different airports have different ways of doing things and at some you cannot see what goes on with your bags, while others check them right in front of you.

Some airlines want the ammo in the same bag, others want it separate. AK Air wants it in the same bag, Delta wants it in a different bag if you have two bags.

There have been two negligent discharges in the Anchorage airport that I recall... both were LEOs from Michigan. A counter agent is still deaf in one ear from one, a 338WM right beside her head...
We flew out of Anchorage in '08 with a pistol in my luggage. They sent me to a separate area where a TSA agent opened the gun case, checked it carefully, and ran a sniffer over the suitcase.
It was much more extensive than I'd had in Seattle on the way to AK. In Seattle, they just made sure the case was locked.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Exactly. I've flown in the last 6 months and the lady at the counter wanted to see that the gun was EMPTY!!!. Also they prefer you have TWO locks on the box, one on each side in front, and NOT a TSA lock, at least that's what they told me the last time as well. In the last year I've flown 3 times with a gun and each time was directed to TSA and they did the sniffer check. For some reason one of the times it tested positive and they called an other inspector. He checked everything over and said ok. I NEVER put ammo in the box with the firearm. ALWAYS have your ammo in a factory box. Traveling from Boise to Atlanta to Johanesberg, ammo was in factory boxes and the boxes were in a hard plastic box. Have a safe trip.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B3

C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks again to everyone.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.