Print Thread
Hop To
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Who's using one?

How's the field performance?

Not necessarily its calibration, more the use of those bow ties at extended ranges.

Do they cloud or cover the targets?

Do they draw the eye to the aim point?

Low light use of the reticle in general.

Etc Etc

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One more question if you don't mind: Since the scopes a SFP does the power have to be on a certain setting for the reticle ranges to be correct?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by reelman
One more question if you don't mind: Since the scopes a SFP does the power have to be on a certain setting for the reticle ranges to be correct?

No, in that you can set it however you like. Yes, in that the distance in MOA is different depending on setting, but you can work it out any way you want, whatever works with your particular style/rifle/load etc.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They work pretty well for me. A bit more cluttered than a simple duplex for quick shots but still OK for that. If you want to shoot 500+ yards there are better choices. I like them for 300-450 yard shots which is long for me when it comes to hunting.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RWE
Who's using one?

How's the field performance?

Not necessarily its calibration, more the use of those bow ties at extended ranges.

Do they cloud or cover the targets?

Do they draw the eye to the aim point?

Low light use of the reticle in general.

Etc Etc

The B&C reticle suffers from the same pros and cons as all BDC reticles do.

The "bow ties" are fine.

It does not overly obscure the target.

About the same as a regular duplex.

About the same as a regular duplex.

Originally Posted by reelman

It is designed to use one of two triangles that are marked on the power ring. Depending upon you cartridge/bullet combo decides which is "correct".

Over all, as with all BDC reticles, it's strong suit is to make hitting relatively large targets at 300-400 yards more consistent than holdding over. Further than that, with wind, on smaller targets, etc. there are better ways.

IC B2

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Over all, as with all BDC reticles, it's strong suit is to make hitting relatively large targets at 300-400 yards more consistent than holdding over. Further than that, with wind, on smaller targets, etc. there are better ways.

Looking for sub-500 large game on a 30-06.

been killing stuff with a Burris FFII for a long time, and given my prior experience with "hash marks" and stadia lines, I would have preferred, just due to exposure, some flat horizontal lines if I decided to go with a Leupold.

But they don't make those, and since I'm now more concerned with lower light, the fine lines on the vortex I got is getting me nervous.

I guess that's where the bow ties help some?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Turrets help more.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Was thinking of adding a CDS to it...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've got both the B&C reticles and CDS dials, you can't beat the B&C for simplicity's sake but it limits you to 500 yards more or less. The 500 holding point (top of thick bottom post) obscures more target than I care for, and is a bit ambiguous.

I miss the wind marks on my CDS scopes, and just recently bought one with the Windplex reticle but haven't mounted it yet. The single turn turret on my 300 Win goes out to 700 and some odd yards, though I haven't shot it past 600 or so. For 500 and under I would just as soon have the B&C reticle, to keep things simple. The reticle is very intuitive, and doesn't seem cluttered or busy to me at all. I think some folks just have a tendency to overanalyze these things.

I looked thru a friend's Swarovski the other day with the BRH reticle and was pretty impressed with it. Using their ballistics calculator, it has holdover points that correspond with my 300 out to 800 and some yards. That's pretty interesting.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bowmanh
They work pretty well for me. A bit more cluttered than a simple duplex for quick shots but still OK for that. If you want to shoot 500+ yards there are better choices. I like them for 300-450 yard shots which is long for me when it comes to hunting.

In a nutshell. Yep. I never notice the other aiming points when shooting game up close.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
500 or less it works great, Minute of dead stuff. On the 06 it does need to be dialed down to work with their formula or you need to make your own on full power. There is marks for various caliber categories.

I like turrets too, but no flies on B&C for hunting.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RWE in regards to other questions and facets - it is a trim scope, lightweight and good looking. I like the W/E adjustment design but the clicks could be a bit more positive. No less so than the Burris I own and rather similar in feeling.

Low light performance is excellent. You will be VERY pleased. Not only in brightness but with contrast and ability to discern colors well. I noticed this when comparing it to my M8 6x42 in low light, which it exceeded.

Eye relief- is insanely good. You just about cannot move it far enough forward on a rifle to harm viewing.

Mine came with screw on Alumina hard covers as well as neoprene one piece cover I like very much.

I looked at the VX3 vs buying another Meopta and even considering a Swaro Z3 and think I made the right choice all things considered.

I am not a Leupold homer though I may sound like one, just pleased with this particular scope. With zero practice over 100yd I nailed a hog in the head at 400 using the reticle, a first for me.

Last edited by kenjs1; 07/12/15.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a pair of 30-06's, one with a 2x8/B&C and a 3x9/CDS. I have used the B&C to around 300yds and 350yds with the CDS,both on whitetail.

I like the the cds for hunting because I can set it for the exact range with the range finder.

I like the B&C for on the tractor, etc. Because I don't worry about it self adjusting while bumping along. Don't usually have a range finder with me so I just guess and use the hold over hashes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can the Boone & Crockett Reticle be installed in a
VX-3 3.5-10x40 that came with a Duplex Reticle?

Molan Labe
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AMRA

Yes.

I was pricing a CDS and having a B&C put in, versus getting a B&C and putting a CDS dial on it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by AMRA

Yes.

I was pricing a CDS and having a B&C put in, versus getting a B&C and putting a CDS dial on it.

Mind if I ask what you were quoted for the reticle swap?

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't mind, but I'll have to check my notepad at home.

My pusher is on vacation and isn't able to order my scope right away, so I didn't commit the numbers to memory.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hunting1
500 or less it works great, Minute of dead stuff. On the 06 it does need to be dialed down to work

That's it for me. Your scope's setting for your load will be close to the scopes max power, so I like the models that top out at 10x because I don't want more magnificatiion for field hunting positions. Out past 500 yards the size of my target shot groups are getting too big for confidence anyway.

Last edited by StrayDog; 07/13/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (257 roberts, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 17 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.