Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
How does one decide the glass is better in one than another? I can tell most of you guys have not compared optics, except on a tree or rocks.

I do it by comparing side by side on deer antlers 131 yards away in the woods and on eye charts 127 yards away. These 7-15X35 showed more detail than my Minox 13X56, but fell behind the Minox 15X58. When I compared them with some Swarovski 8.5X outside the store on an eye chart, it took a couple more X's to see more detail, but the glass is good enough to beat the Swaro 8.5X by merely turning up the magnification.

I will not argue that the view in the Swarovski's is not stunning. They were one of the few optics to give me the "WOW!" The other two were the first time I looked through a surveyor's glass when I was about eighteen and the other was when I first looked through the then new Bushnell 4200 4-16X.

LMAO! Are you being serious? Thats an honest question too...

Personally, if you can't tell on your "eye charts" or on deer antlers at less than 150 yards then step up and try to count growth rings on sheep at 3/4 mile while trying to decide if he has 15" bases or if they are closer to 15 1/2" bases or try to field judge a mule deer or elk to within inches from a mile or more away. Try doing this when light is not optimal or early or late. You should be able to tell instantaneously on your "eye chart" at 127 yards but after you visit your optometrist step on out to big country and you'll figure out really quick that you essentially brought a soup spoon to a gun fight with your 7-15x35's and your Swarovski rifle scope.

Your opinions on optics are so far removed from anything logical I have to believe you are joking

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great news for the OP!!!!!!!

WalMart has a pair of Vivitar 7-15x35 binoculars priced at 39.74. If you splurge on some windex and paper towels to clean them you might get your purchase to $50 which qualifies for free shipping grin

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vivitar-Zoom-Series-7-15x35-Binoculars/17473155

You are welcome...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dammit Drum, now there's gonna be a rush on them......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
huntsonora,

Your opinions on optics are so far removed from anything logical I have to believe you are joking

Are you trying to convince us readers an 8.5X Swarovski is better on 8.5X than the 7-15X35 Nikon is on 15X for picking up detail? Or what are you trying to say they won't work as well as?

If an optic can't beat the 7-15X35 Nikon on an eye chart or deer antlers there is no way it is going to show you more detail in the hunting world.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
huntsonora,

Great news for the OP!!!!!!!

WalMart has a pair of Vivitar 7-15x35 binoculars priced at 39.74. If you splurge on some windex and paper towels to clean them you might get your purchase to $50 which qualifies for free shipping grin

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vivitar-Zoom-Series-7-15x35-Binoculars/17473155

You are welcome...

Are you seriously recommending these? Have you actually compared these with the Nikon 7-15X35?

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
huntsonora,

Are you trying to convince us readers an 8.5X Swarovski is better on 8.5X than the 7-15X35 Nikon is on 15X for picking up detail? Or what are you trying to say they won't work as well as?

If an optic can't beat the 7-15X35 Nikon on an eye chart or deer antlers there is no way it is going to show you more detail in the hunting world.

I have to ask the same question.

Are you serious?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SLM

Are you serious?

He damn sure is. I didn't think it was possible for somebody to be this fu**ing stupid but apparently I was wrong. He is literally comparing 7-15x35 Nikons to Swarovski binoculars and trying to convince people that the Nikons are superior.

I wouldn't believe this story if somebody told it to me but I've seen it with my own eyes. Unfuckingbelievable

If I had somebody show up to one of my camps saying the things he's saying I literally would not give them bullets because I don't trust anybody this stupid to walk behind me with a loaded weapon

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wow, the entertainment never ends...comparing 8.5 power to 15 power and stating you can see more details at 131 and 127 yards???? And Swaro vs. Nikon?

Where's the popcorn?!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Are you serious?

I ask you the same question. Are you serious? You want us to believe you can see more detail with a Swarovski on 8.5X than a Nikon 7-15X35 on 15X?

I'm not saying the Nikons are better unless one can only afford something in that price range. Like I said, they are the only binoculars to give me the "WOW!" If I could afford them I would have them.

Before I switch to fixed power binoculars I found lots of game with the Nikon 7-15X35. I don't think you guys are trying to help the original poster by telling him to get Swarovski binoculars. You just like to read your own internet bullying.

Everyday Hunter
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nobody is telling him he needs to buy Swarovski.

I would tell him I would take the Swaro you mention everyday that ends in y and twice on Sunday over your Nikon though.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
SLM,

Nobody is telling him he needs to buy Swarovski.

I would tell him I would take the Swaro you mention everyday that ends in y and twice on Sunday over your Nikon though.

This post sure sounds like it to me. I suggest something almost anyone can afford and you suggest as pipe dream for most hunters.

Everyday Hunter
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Again I'm not surprised you missed the point.

There are lots of good choices out there.

Yours is not one of them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Wow, the entertainment never ends...comparing 8.5 power to 15 power and stating you can see more details at 131 and 127 yards???? And Swaro vs. Nikon?

Where's the popcorn?!

Funny thing is I could out glass him with my Pentax 8s and him using his nikon 15s... hell I'd out glass him even if he had swaro 15s.

Folks thinking they can judge a bino in a store or broad daylight, looking at an eye chart or a truck on the other mountainside. I've seen it a dozen times... and they can't see a deer bedded 300 yards away... cracks me up.

Kent

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Where's the popcorn?!

Funny thing is I could out glass him with my Pentax 8s and him using his nikon 15s... hell I'd out glass him even if he had swaro 15s.

Folks thinking they can judge a bino in a store or broad daylight, looking at an eye chart or a truck on the other mountainside. I've seen it a dozen times... and they can't see a deer bedded 300 yards away... cracks me up.

Kent

Very true, Kent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The term 'glassing' as it relates to 15s goes over most people's heads. And that's the crux of the issue. I find discussing glass on some people's level doesn't make them smarter and just makes me read dumb chit.

Kent

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Though not quite 15x...would take a look thru the Kowa 12x56BDXD new around the $700 mark

Defend the Constitution
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by krp
The term 'glassing' as it relates to 15s goes over most people's heads. And that's the crux of the issue. I find discussing glass on some people's level doesn't make them smarter and just makes me read dumb chit.

Kent

As you stated, I find most who "glass" or claim to do so, don't really understand the terminology and, also, don't have the patience to do it correctly.

Here in AZ, I judge my hunting "buddies" by their willingness to deal with crappy/miserable situations with a smile and their glassing ability. I have been lucky to find many here who are joys to hunt with...

In fact, I will be helping on a lot of deer and elk hunts this coming fall...can't wait!

ETA: Didn't mean to hijack!

Last edited by Jcubed; 07/12/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
When I lived back east, I didn't get it either. I thought fielding $2000 binocs was simply diqque measuring. I was wrong. Tripod-based glassing is an art and a sport unto itself, and you don't have to have a tag to do it ...

Glassing is a learned skill, and cannot be bought. However, one can quickly become a solid glasser and have fun. An excellent glasser -- that's another story.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on "glassing" and 15x binos. Target size, distance, terrain, and cover.

Jason

edit to add: where do you feel 15x would NOT work, as well.

Last edited by 4th_point; 07/12/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
15s are a philosophy, a way of hunting, covering ground with your eyes, finding animals otherwise not seen. Byproduct is you can observe animals and their movements/habits, also covering a large area scouting. I've sat and watched multiple herds of deer from one spot all day, watching them eat, bed, move with the shade, water, try to keep bugs off them, play, hide when a cat or human gets close, and feed again in the afternoon.

Nobody starts out with 15s being any good, self taught is the hardest and most quit. That was me. I returned to it a few years later and made myself 'see' the pattern. That was the middle 90s. If you can glass with someone experienced it'll advance the learning curve much faster.

I didn't glass with another glasser till '08, didn't know where I stood, I have an idea now.

The mind has to learn to see the pattern. Like where's Waldo, at first it'll take hours or maybe never unless someone points him out. Soon you can pick him out faster until it's easy.

At first glassing, you only find the same easy animals you did with 10s or 8s, out in the open or moving. You can see those animals farther out now.

The magic is when you find a bedded one, maybe the flies are around your ears and you notice a movement 800yds under a tree, it's a buck flicking his ears from the same bugs.

Or just the shape of a head, or back or legs in tree or antlers sticking above grass. You may have to stare at it for minutes till it moves a few inches to confirm... animals you would never find hand holding.

Pretty soon you sweep an area quickly for easy animals, then start investigating every shadow under bushes working in grids.

Anyway, size doesn't matter, I can see birds at half a mile easy. The hardest animal in az are coues deer, they blend in on open slopes, elk are lightning bolts and pronghorn are even more so. Mule deer are hard but have more black and white that stand out, javalina are short and can disappear in ground cover.

Terrain should be long and at least some open areas.

15s won't work in thick stuff close or far. I don't use them archery elk hunting where I hunt.

Now we could sit together all day on a mountain and discuss what we are seeing in just that one local, and not cover all the pros and cons and different scenarios. It's a large subject well beyond what bino to buy.

Here's some examples of glassing...

Coues deer

[Linked Image]

Water pond in a high wilderness bowl...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mule deer flats...

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 37 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,509
Posts18,452,629
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.