Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hayden and Lamar Valleys- any specific viewing spots? We will get there before daylight to get a prime location.....just wondered if someone would be willing to narrow it down? I guess doing a drive-by the day before would be the best bet, but someone may have a lesser known, better spot they'd be willing to divulge. lol

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Probably wherever you see the most people parked but then there probably wouldn't be room for you. You will see plenty of buffalo anywhere in the Lamar Valley but elk are easier to locate back west and south of there. I hope I never see a wolf in the park as my desire to shoot wolves might overrule common sense. Not really but I see no reason for having wolves in the park.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great info Boys.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Where is the best place to photograph a YNP grizzly in a couple weeks?

I really appreciate everyone's input!

Thank you for your time guys!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anywhere from Tower to almost the Northeast entrance is good for the Lamar area. The confluence of Soda Butte Creek and the Lamar is popular for wolf watchers early and late in the day. Drive the road out to Slough Creek also.

Just drive along slowly and keep an eye out. When you see a good spot don't be afraid to pull over and give things a look over with binos and spotting scope. There are plenty of places to pull over along the Lamar. 98% of the people driving through won't see a bear at 400 yards, but if you have optics and stop, you will.

There are some serious wildlife watchers that frequent the park and when you see people congregated with optics that are worth more than your vehicle, take notice.

Last edited by Lonny; 07/06/15.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Also, most of the time if you see those people with the big optics, they are happy to tell you what they are looking at, and many will offer a peek through their Swarovski spotting scope.
The meadows across the river in the Lamar are a good place to spot bears. The only buildings in the Lamar (other than outhouses) are some cabins and corrals used by the Yellowstone Association for classes. They are on the north side of the road, and it's okay to pull up into their parking areas to glass across the river. Early in the morning you may hear wolves howl around their, too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30Herrett

Pray for a buffalo to die along the Lamar River the day before you arrive. Seriously, if you hear of a carcass, get to that spot.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
How long does it take to travel from Fishing Bridge to the NE entrance? From Fishing Bridge to the West entrance?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lonny

Pray for a buffalo to die along the Lamar River the day before you arrive. Seriously, if you hear of a carcass, get to that spot.

This. Saw 5 at one time on a carcass near soda butte.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RobJordan
We just came from the Park. Enjoyed it immensely. I agree with the advise on the north entrance and the Cooke City--Red Lodge loop. Gorgeous. Be sure and fill your fuel tank outside the park. Gas is dear inside. Every camp site we saw was marked "full" yet traffic was not bad at all. I was quite surprised. The Park did not seem crowded to me. I was expecting worse. Keep your children away from hot pots. Been reading a book on deaths in the park. Kids falling and jumping (adults too) into hot pots has burned and killed a lot of people.

Where abouts in california are you from? My wife and I are driving to Yellowstone mid september. Were in the SF bay area, and plan on taking 4+/- days to get there. we will be in a VW vanagon, hence taking out time getting there. First night will be at antelope lake, near susanville, then from there to SE oregon, idaho and then into yellowstone. We are staying at Grants Village for 4 nights.

Grants Village closes on september 20th, and thats our checkout date. From then, we dont have any set plans. We will most likely head to Glacier NP for 2-3 nights, but if anyone can recommend a better/nicer/more interesting destination im all ears.

Last edited by robertham1; 07/06/15.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As someone mentioned if the elk are not cooperating just wait until you get to the north entrance and there is herd of townies that hang around the lawns of the old barracks and village. They sort of cracked me up as they were completely non pulsed by the people walking by. It was the rut last fall and there is as a large bull there courting the group and it did create a traffic tie up as he chased the cows around in the street. Quite a show.

As to Bears we looked around quite a bit trying to find one to no avail until the end of the the trip and we were walking back from the morning glory hole at the geyser basin at old faithful and I walked right up on a sow and her cub that were wanting to cross the trail . They were probably no more than 20-25 ft off the trail in the tree line. Luckily she was a good sport about it and simply went around and crossed the path about 40 yds behind me but it showed how one can get surprised. I'm glad to have seen one so clearly now but at the time a bit scary as as we were much too close. I also almost had a up close encounter with a buffalo in the parking lot of the lodge. I was walking between two parked tour busses and almost stepped into the path of a buffalo that was just sauntering thru the parking lot. So keep your eye out.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Slough Creek + 4-piece flyrod = hoot & 1/2

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hayden and Lamar Valleys- any specific viewing spots? We will get there before daylight to get a prime location.....just wondered if someone would be willing to narrow it down? I guess doing a drive-by the day before would be the best bet, but someone may have a lesser known, better spot they'd be willing to divulge. lol

Well in Lamar valley it seemed like we went by 5 miles of buffalo. You could pull over and view them almost anywhere.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
How long does it take to travel from Fishing Bridge to the NE entrance? From Fishing Bridge to the West entrance?

Fishing bridge to Lamar is a hike. It will take a few hours with traffic.

Fishing bridge to west entrance is quick.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
About 15 years ago, we took a 2 week trip that took us from Jackson, to Yellowstone, to Bozeman, to Mazulla and up to Glacier. But only stayed in Yellowstone for 3 days. We barely scratched the surface. While there we stayed at the Lake Yellowstone Inn. When I was there had a couple of Bull Elk laying in the shade across the street relaxing. They had their eye shut and were chillin out. I walked within 25 yards and stood there and they never blinked.

One good thing we did was hired a personal guide one day. We booked him prior to going. By this time I was wiped out and let this guy drive my rental car. This guy knew his stuff. Money well spent.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Lonny

I was going to suggest slow stalk a distant griz with a 5lb pack of bacon tethered to his neck but your suggestion might work too.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've been to Yellowstone twice. I saw very little wildlife other than the tame elk lying around in the town. I did see some beautiful country though. Don't miss the Bear tooth Highway. Red Lodge to Cooke City.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
How often does it rain in YNP last few weeks of July? Is it more common in the mornings or afternoons?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chit, it could snow.

Bring some light rain gear and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks to the great info I received here, the trip was a success! The only disappointment was not seeing a wolf. The girls got up @ 4:20 every morning without complaint to set in the fog till 8 am. We were out glassing every evening too. They got pretty good at spotting game though.

Thanks again everyone!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

634 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 71 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,933
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.