-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm a SxS guy but if a semiauto is in the cards, a Benelli Monty it is.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good luck. enjoy it. and if you want to test drive it at my place, lmk. i'll set up the pattern board for you.
btw....rockchucker...check your pm's. you coming?

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Reference RIO7's suggestion.....

My favorite shotgun is a '63 vintage Browning Superposed 20 Pigeon Grade choked M/IC. It fits me as well as a custom fit could. Thanks to Benelli's adjustable stock feature,

I have the drop and cast of my Montrfeltro 20 set to duplicate that of the Browning. Not only that, I have through some southern engineering, set the drop and cast of a 12 ga 870 Wingmaster waring an ultralight weight barrel the same way.

Advantage is that I can switch between any of the three without giving gun fit a second thought. To each his own, but because of the longish Benelli receiver, I opted for a 24" barrel.

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats on the new gun. I myself prefer the sx3 20ga. I've owned a 20ga Montefeltro, M1,and 2 M2's. I liked all of them. I bought my wife a sx3 20ga because it fit her better than my Benelli 20's. Once I used it some I sold all my 20ga Benelli's and use her sx3 20. I like it that much. I use it for rabbit,dove,and most of my duck hunting and goose hunting too. Anyone who is in the market for a good 20ga semi needs to handle the little Winchester before making their decision

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockchucker
going to be my main shotgun for upland birds, rabbits, doves, clays, turkeys, and some duck hunting.

i know the benelli shoots cleaner and is lighter.

and the sx3 shoots softer.

if they both fit well which is better?

or is it the old ford, chevy, dodge argument?

thanks
I'd take the SX3 - mainly because if you need a part you can usually get one.. Benelli - not so much..

I've had a certain part backordered for months from Benelli and the distributor told me yesterday that they "...should be in any day now.." I've checked every place I can find and EVERYBODY'S out of 'em..

I've waited only 2 months - so far.. And I'm betting it'll be another two months.. Good thing the guy has other shotguns to use..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
SX3 IMHO.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
picked up the m2 today, why i waited this long to see the light ill never understand this nimble 20 ga. is the cat's azz

FJB
35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockchucker
picked up the m2 today, why i waited this long to see the light ill never understand this nimble 20 ga. is the cat's azz

Good luck with the M2
They sure are Slim and trim aren't they!
My Montefeltro really feels nice in my hands and shoulders nicely.
I've been through 870's, 1100's, 11-87's, BPS's , and a 391
I would have saved a lot of time and money if I would have bought my Benelli's first.
I've seen the light!!

Last edited by 35; 07/23/15.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Too late to throw my vote in...but it would have been M2 and then I would have suggested looking at a Franchi Affinity if you wanted to save $$$ and have a similar setup.

You will be happy with that M2. Just learn how to avoid the "benelli click" and you will never have a problem. I learned that with my monte-12 the hard way.

Last edited by humdinger; 07/24/15.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have killed a lot of birds with M2s and Montefeltros. Really nice and I shoot well with them. A 20 M2 is particularly nice and contrary to the previous poster, an over /,under won't necessarily improve your shooting. It is more about gun fit.

What is Benelli click?

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The benelli click is when you bump the butt of the gun on the ground and it knocks the bolt out of battery. It won't fire the shell in the chamber because the the bolt face has rotated out of the locking lugs and is not touching the brass thus the fireing pin doesn't come close to the primer. It has happened to me too, pisses you off butyou learn to not do it and when you do, you hear it. In that case cycle the bolt half way back and let it slam shut.

Rockchucker, you will like the the gun and end up loving the gun the more you use it. The operation of it takes a little getting used to compared to other semis but when you do its better imo. Its easier to break down and clean in the field if it gets submerged or dropped in mud. Its a simpler design too, absolutely bullet proof. I have an M1 that I have hunted with for many years and a SBE that has been a rock star. Can't beat'em but the SX3 is a awesome gun too. You will love it.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 28 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,501
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.