Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
No.

Ruger needs to fix that low comb before they get to introducing new cartridge setups. This isn’t 1920, and the American doesn’t come with iron sights. So I see no reason for a Pre 64 Model 70-esque comb height.

Besides, the 223 does everything needed in a 22 caliber with currently available bullets. No sense burning more powder when about all it amounts to is added noise and recoil.
It fits me perfectly. I have a long neck and need high rings on most rifles. I can use standard rings on my American 30-06.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
No.

Ruger needs to fix that low comb before they get to introducing new cartridge setups. This isn’t 1920, and the American doesn’t come with iron sights. So I see no reason for a Pre 64 Model 70-esque comb height.

Besides, the 223 does everything needed in a 22 caliber with currently available bullets. No sense burning more powder when about all it amounts to is added noise and recoil.
It fits me perfectly. I have a long neck and need high rings on most rifles. I can use standard rings on my American 30-06.

Same here on the RAR stock drop..
Fits better than most rifles I own..
I need med. to high rings on my two Montana's (a stock that everyone seems to love) to make them work..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Any updates?

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know about the RAR short actions, but the long actions have a magazine problem. They don't feed reliably. I have problems with 30-06 rounds sticking and not moving up to chambering position all the time. It's apparently a common problem. I watched a youtube video of a guy who ordered about 6 new mags from Ruger. He loaded them up and pushed the rounds out with his finger. 4 of the 6 mags would hang up. Usually a sharp hit on the side of the stock will knock them loose but that's not anything I want to do while hunting.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I built this 1-7" twist with heavy barrel! Shoots the 90 gr. Sierra extremely well out to 1000 yards! Don't care for Ruger!!

[Linked Image]coydog by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Last edited by Sharpsman; 09/28/15.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Rock Chuck,
I have the same problem with the 3rd rd. down sticking in my .243 RAR..
So yes some of the SA RAR suffer from the same problem as your LA 30-06 does..
Ruger really [bleep] ed the goat on their DM's as I have had to mod all but one out of 7 Americans to make them feed properly..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nrut,

Can you elaborate on your magazine mod?

My .308 Predator has not bobbled once… But when I fire my rifle (suppressed) I can sometimes hear the next round rotating into position (due to recoil I presume), which I find disconcerting.

SAS,

I would buy a Ruger American fast twist 22-250. Preferably stainless and threaded (predator barrel profile).

Thanks,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Jerry,
The mag. mods I made were on opening the feeding lips as per SAS tutorial..

Was working on the 3rd round hang up in the .243 by depressing the mag. follower and slowly filing away on the inside of the mag. body..

A friends wife is using the rifle now as a two shooter for the hunting season, before I could make the fix..

I will continue working on the mag. after the season is over..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
for me a 243 does all and more than a 22-250 with a 8 twist, but if your a 22-250 nut a 8 twist is more versatile

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of my partners and I both have American 30-06's. Now that I've finished a season with it, I can see another problem that we both have. The safety is just off and on. There is no 3d setting that locks the bolt shut like on many other rifles. When carrying it at sling, sometimes the bolt will hook on a pack strap or something and open. The bolt is very loose in the receiver and it will slide back and lose a cartridge.

― George Orwell

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
And I'll even throw some ideas out....

What about an upgraded version of the American? Real bottom metal and metal bolt shroud. A nice stock....keep the V-Block bedding, but incorporate that into a fiberglass stock with a higher comb. Not something chunky like the B&C, something slim with the ergo's of the Kimber Montana. Ditch the bladed trigger on this version. Go Timney from the factory. A nicer finish on the metal too. Not some funky gray on the stainless version either. I'm thinking of a true bead blasted stainless.

They could also take some of the features of the American and incorporate those ideas into the Hawkeye line. Keep the current LC6 Trigger and the CRF bolt design. Ditch the Ruger rings and go round on the top. Ditch the angled action screw too. Use the same V-Block deign from the American line. A fiberglass stock with a higher comb would be nice. This could be sold in two versions - blind mag box or bottom metal. The could float the barrel instead of the bumps.

They already have the budget end covered with the American series. The upgraded American would need a real shelf price of $700 or less. The hybrid Hawkeye could be in the $1000 range on the shelf.

Just saw this. Yes two both.

David

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Reason for the slower twist in a 22-250?

What's the heaviest bullet formthen22/250 ?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A fast twist allows use of heavier bullets. Still flat shooting, but more energy to the target and often, deeper penetration.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
No , but one in a Swift would be what I'd like

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to see a them offer the synthetic Scout stock for sale. I have the heavier laminate.

Called Ruger today and I may not have long to wait - sometime after the first of the year, exact date and price unknown.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Know we're drifting, but like the idea of turning my TG Frontier .358 into a 5-10 shooter.

Did just request the Ruger top dog to spin all .22 CFs 1-8 among other things...

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yes.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Spoke with Ruger at SHOT....this is going to happen! A few details to work through and I don't know when any will be available, but it's coming.

It's my understanding that this will be an exclusive run for the shop. More details to follow...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
fantastic! I hope we are talking the All Weather model. Either way I want one. Way to go Darrik!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you Darrik!

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,622
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.