Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Took my first ride in a used Austrailian saddle on a horse we just picked up. Never sat in one so I wasn't sure what to expect but wanted to give it a try before passing judgement. Liked it. Comfortable, secure, light weight. The stirrups were very comfortable, being outside the fenders there was little resistence to any angle you want to put your feet at. Was suprised beforehand when looking it over at how the stirrup leathers attach and are made to come off if a foot was hung in the stirrup. Liked the overstrap (?) for the girth that runs across the seat.

I know nothing about them and assume this is a cheap model but saw a lot to like for most riding if roping isn't part of the use.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Took my first ride in a used Austrailian saddle on a horse we just picked up. Never sat in one so I wasn't sure what to expect but wanted to give it a try before passing judgement. Liked it. Comfortable, secure, light weight. The stirrups were very comfortable, being outside the fenders there was little resistence to any angle you want to put your feet at. Was suprised beforehand when looking it over at how the stirrup leathers attach and are made to come off if a foot was hung in the stirrup. Liked the overstrap (?) for the girth that runs across the seat.

I know nothing about them and assume this is a cheap model but saw a lot to like for most riding if roping isn't part of the use.

Most likely a surcingle.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I imagine it's an individual thing. I tried a number of them some years back and hated them. IMO they combine the worst aspects of english and western saddles. Again JMO but you couldn't give me one but to each their own.

BORN to HUNT
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One thing about them, the stirrups are stet a little bit more forward than a typical westen saddle.For long rides,this is a lot more comfortable.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of reasons based on individual taste/fit/needs that a person might not like one. Was my first use of one and I'm happy to give it some more use for R&D...

The stirrups were a bit more forward and the saddle itself seems to sit a bit more forward on the horse than a western saddle. Seems like more of the rider's weight will be carried closer to the withers than with a western saddle. Seems like this could be good. I don't know if the horse can feel it more but I could certainly feel the horse more when giving it leg cues.

I did like the lightweight, open center, and smaller footprint on the horses back. In the summer the more air getting to skin the better down here.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Do you have the stuffed panel style? Cheap aussie saddles are just as bad as cheap western ones - good fit is essential both for horse and rider. Have had two different ones. Neither have fit my horse or mule well due to buying cheap ones. http://www.aussiesaddle.com/ Colin Dangard is fun to chat with and has some good informational youtube videos.
I am considering biting the bullet and getting a good quality fitted one myself.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm assuming this is a cheap one, but I don't know enough about them to really say. It has the stuffed panels. The leather shows wear from use but looks like it is pretty good leather compared to leather I've seen on cheap western saddles.

It seems to fit the mare well. She has good withers and the saddle seems to ride forward on them well. Don't think it would work at all on a gelding we have which is about the same height/weight as the mare but whose topline and withers are much different with a thicker/flatter build.

Thanks for the links!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had one for a trial ride, but sent it back...
I liked the way it rode, comfortable and very secure.
My mare hated it though, basically went nuts when I put my weight on it. It was one of the more expensive imports, think it sold for 11-1200 new? It had the stuffed panels.
Sent them a wither tracing, but it seemed to pinch her, and she's always been super sensitive to pressure on her back anyway.
Had a similar experience with a vintage Buena Vista recently.
Did not feel the quality was really there though for what it cost, compared to what a grand plus will buy in a western saddle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
If it didn't fit the horse it would be tough to go with no matter how much you liked it. Would be a bit of work from what I understand to fluff the panels on one that doesn't fit to begin with...I didn't even know enough about austrialian saddles to know they were made with anything besides panels until I poked around a bit on Dan H's link. The panels on the one I have seem to be packed/hard, but the fit seems to be perfect for the mare so I'm not going to mess with them.

Rode her with it again this evening and I'm still impressed. I have no $ in it other than the cost of the girth I had to buy so it's a win/win for me there. Both it and this mare are new to me but I'm enjoying them.

Rode the mare then a gelding (different saddle) this evening. He's a rose regardless of name and my wife ended up with him but I'm glad to ride him second hand while she's on vacation with our kids. Living the bachelor life the past couple of weeks has given me a lot of extra time in the saddle... Is it bad when a married man spends more time in the saddle when his wife's away? Anyhow, she and the kids will be back next week so I'll just keep riding and shooting while I have the free time.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
We have used many many amish saddles due to where we live. Between a couple friends and ourselves we've used multiple Tucker's circle y billy cook american saddlery bighorn and now Steele saddles.

To us and for our uses the steeles are by far the best fit for the horses and most comfortable to us. Been riding them for 3 or 4 years now and couldn't be happier. Haven't had a saddle fit problem at all since either which is huge if you've ever dealt with saddle fit problems. Have bought some very expensive pads that at best was a very temporary fix for a poor fit.

Either way just thought I'd share how happy we've been with them.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like Steele's but haven't owned one. Really like the looks of their version of a Wade saddle. Lightweight and compact. Didn't know until I looked but they also make an Australian.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
The only ones Ive ridden are the mountaineers which we ride and my friends trailboss. I wouldn't mind trying the wade for some applacations but really like the low profile slim front on the mountaineer for starting colts. I've only sat in the cheap made Australian saddles so really can't comment on them.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The poleys on my old aussie saddle saved me from being a lawn dart on a few occasions. Getting back into riding after my last wreck I went back to an aussie till my balance and confidence met back up.
Awling your saddle stuffing using an ice pick lets you get a good fit. Your thighs should have about 3/4" room from the poleys. The seat should be horizontal or slightly uphill until it forms to the horse. If the stirups are too forward , switching to english leathers helps and less knee torque. Plus you get to wear dusters and slouch hats as well as learning a new laguage with terms like "ya wanker"...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I ride my Gramps' 70 yr old Association. No padded seat but I can ride it for 10-12 hrs with no discomfort and I have never thrown it on a horse it has sored up from mutton whithered quarter horses to razor backed TBs. I guess I'm just the "old dog" and you know what they say about the "new tricks" lol

BORN to HUNT
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Here's the real deal.

Southern Cross Poley, one of many styles they make. My favorite trail saddle.
They request a wither tracing to ensure appropriate fit for your horse.

I have seen several cheap imitations that in no way can compare to Southern Cross construction.

Have owned Steele's and they are excellent.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I wouldn't mind trying one of those sometime. That looks like a nice saddle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If anybody would be interested my wife's selling her aussie saddle. Not sure the maker, I paid almost a grand for it new. It's a good saddle, she loved it but it won't fit her horse. If interested shoot me a pm.

And just on a saddle note, my Colorado w/ association tree has been on more than a few horses, and fit the majority, but there were plenty that needed creative padding or even just didn't work.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After the movies "The Man From Snowy River" and "Return To Snowy River" came out many of the locals went nuts about the Austrailian saddles, however the fad quickly died down. I never owned one, but had a chance to ride some. Different ride, but not too different from riding a McClellan calvary saddle.

Granddad and Dad used McCellan's when breaking colts. We had about 1/2 dozen around the place. When I left home Dad gave me one...actually, I rescued it from a hard life. grin Eventually the girth and quarter straps gave out and I had the Amish put new quarter straps on it from the pommel and cantle strap brass halter square on down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An interesting and nice riding saddle was sort of an Aussie stock saddle with military use modifications. A relative was doing Peace Corp work in Zimbabwe, formally Rhodesia and came across some surplus Rhodesian calvary saddles and sent one back to the States. I got to use it for about six months. Good ride.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice Saddle. We have an American Saddle Bred Mare that I would like to see how that Saddle fits her.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
mcclellans make into damn good packsaddles and. aussies make good saddles for riding and setting on, for stock work not so much. They ain't worth a chit for roping and doctoring in the pasture, but are ok to drive cattle into the pens for that kinda 'stock' work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Nice Saddle. We have an American Saddle Bred Mare that I would like to see how that Saddle fits her.

Thanks. There is a 99.9% chance that a McClellan would fit your mare.

Wayne

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is a 99% chance a mcclellan will fit ANY horse. That's why a big outfit like the cavalry used them....

And also why they make such good packsaddles.....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
There is a 99% chance a mcclellan will fit ANY horse. That's why a big outfit like the cavalry used them....

And also why they make such good packsaddles.....

Another reason was a lot of reserach was done in the initial design to make long distance riding more comfortable for horse and rider. One of those considerations was hanging the stirrps further forward which is better than where most western saddles are hung to accomodate the "Show Crowd " of what judges think you should look like when riding.

In addition horses 100 years ago that were mostly used by the calvary were not the rolly polly fat quarter horses we see today and other breed specific horses were not as common. Higher withered, skinner horses were more the norm. Evidenced by the fact that most saddles made at the turn of the century or earlier do not fit the modern day horses

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A good source of information on this topic of saddles in the chapter Saddling the Cavalry Horse. I highly recommend this book as it is a valuable source of historical and useful information related to equestrian travel.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like an interesting read, Woodswalker. I see several books on Ebay and Amazon.

Thanks,

Wayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to suggest some other reading material regarding the U.S. Military saddle.

History of the U.S. Cavalry by Swafford Johnson

The Horse Soldier -1776-1943 (The United States Cavalryman: His Uniforms, Arms, Accoutrements and Equipments. Four volumes. By Randy Steffen

United States Military Saddles by Randy Steffen

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
How is a McClellen to ride?

My ass hurts looking at one.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well, they do beat setting on a sawbuck.....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Well, they do beat setting on a sawbuck.....

I have done that a time or three in a pinch with part of the lash cinch tied up for rope stirrups and burlap sack for padding. It is about 1/2 a step better than walking. I bet there are not a whole lot of people that have done it though.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/19/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

After many miles over varied terrain, it seemed the old saw was true..."the McClellan was designed for the comfort of the horse, not the rider". That was for me until I was shown the proper seat.

The best feature of the McClellen for the rider is the opening between pommel and cantle...it helps keep your junk cool. laugh

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by ironbender

After many miles over varied terrain, it seemed the old saw was true..."the McClellan was designed for the comfort of the horse, not the rider". That was for me until I was shown the proper seat.

The best feature of the McClellen for the rider is the opening between pommel and cantle...it helps keep your junk cool. laugh

Yep,there are still a whole lot of people who still think the saddle is just a seat.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Fred Hook is a modified McClellan. They are nice saddles http://montanasaddle.com/products/fred-hook-trail-saddle. I have one and use it on a couple of my wifes horses. The big shouldered low wither ones it does not work on. A side note- I called Mr. Hook to ask him how to properly position the saddle on the horse and where to adjust the Dee ring to. The Dee ring should be behind your knee and you should ride with (use slow montana drawl) long long legs.

Last edited by Dan_H; 07/20/15.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have ridden nice Aussie stock saddles hundreds of miles on trail rides and hunting. They are fine. They are nice and light too. My Association saddle weighs 50#. I need to have a lighter saddle made!

I just rode one a month ago and it had 10# brass stirrups for some reason. Complete opposite stirrup than a good oxbow.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread..

To those here whose wives/daughters ride, do any use the side saddle?

Seen it demo'ed a few times, but I suspect its largely a thing of the past here..

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
My wife uses a western saddle. I ride with a lot of people and I've never seen a side saddle.

Like dennisinaz mentioned, I really like the lightweight of the Aussie saddle. One of the things that really caught my attention with the Steele saddles that Kaleb mentioned was the listed weights. I've two saddles made with Steele trees that I've been riding for over 20 years....but they are heavy...

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
It's two separate company's. Many many saddles are made with Steele trees but it's a different company than Steele saddles. Not the same trees at all. I think 100 years ago they was one in the same and both buildings are close to each other.

Almost all amish saddles in our area are Steele trees. The Dixie land lady uses them too. The Dixie land saddles are amish made here in town. Several different guys make for her.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Another thing worth mentioning is the Steele saddle company is owned by two men. Fred and Eric. I met Fred camping/riding and he actually delivered my wife's saddle during a camping trip. I found it pretty cool that the company is owned by and the saddles built by guys that actually ride.

Last edited by Kaleb; 07/21/15.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I knew they were different companies, one making trees and one making saddles, but assumed that Steele saddles used Steele trees and that they are related to each other....

It is nice when folks who build them ride.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
It's interesting about the Amish. I'm always curious about different horse cultures. Are they pretty good horsemen?

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I can only speak for our amish and I do think they're as amish as it gets from listening to friends that live with them other places. They use horses for everything and keep two types. Buggy horse which is a standardbred and work horses. Those will be Belgium or Percheron for the most part.

Can't really say they're bad horseman but I wouldn't take much advise from them. Tons of people come here thinking the amish are all that. Lots of it is hype. They're no different than us in that some suck and some are good. They can shoe a horse. I don't use them anymore and didn't use them all that long. If you just want 4 shoes nailed on and the hoof wrasped off they'll take care of you. Many use them to "train" their horses. They don't train anything they wear them out and at the end of 30 days you have a very tired and hungry horse....not that that's all wrong. The two I rode today were tired when we finished.

I like certain Amish for assessory tack and can get things made to my liking out of the leather I want. I pay $25 for a headstall that would be $100 in a store. Same quality leather and all.

This time of year they're super popular for produce. I'll close with saying our out of town friends always get a kick out of the hitching posts and water troughs around town. You'll always see a Amish buggy parked at Walmart....haha

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would agree.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kaleb
They can shoe a horse.

If you just want 4 shoes nailed on and the hoof wrasped off they'll take care of you.

These are two different paradigms.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I apologize for misspelling the word if that's what you're telling me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What he is saying is, there is a big difference between shoeing a horse, and just "wrasping and nailing shoes on".....

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
No chit that was is my point. Maybe I should have worded it differently though. They install horse shoes on horses for the public.

They can put shoes on a horse. The shoes will stay on well. If this is what a fella is after have at it.

Like I said in that same post I don't use them for that so obviously I realize the difference....or it seemed obvious to me but I wrote it and know what I meant.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I guess it's like that everywhere, like you said.

Funny story about Amish, I guided a couple of them a few years ago. Two elders, their sons and one of their nephews. One of the elders could drive, the other was horse and buggy. Same with the boys. It was right when smart phones were coming out and they all had them. They all knew what Facebook was and all the younger ones had it. 4 of the 5 killed Bulls and the old guys all wanted to know how many likes they had!! At the end of the hunt we were taking pics of all the guys and their Bulls. Me and the outfitter still had flip phones, and we're trying to take pics with the new smart phones and the Amish guys had to show us how to use them!!! That was a little embarrassing!

Jared
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol that's funny. Ours here sneak things but they don't have smart phones. Then again some do hide phones and radios at neighbors houses. It's funny how they can sing along with the words to most songs.

Maybe primitive is the word I'm looking for describing our bunch. They can use a gas engine to run certain things like saw mills and things but don't put that motor on wheels and drive it....haha

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
It's my understanding some Amish can use tractors and things is why I mentioned primitive and such. Ours is the only type I know. Our aren't even suppose to ride in a vehicle but can take a bus? Go figure

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Weird rules. They must have to adapt them quite often.

NRA Benefactor Member

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Anyone ridden an Amish Austrailian saddle or an Austrailian Amish saddle? grin

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol...the Aussie saddle topic sorta got side tracked. Maybe they have a webpage to check amish Aussies out

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
About the only reason I'm sorry it got side tracked is you pointing out the Steele saddles.....I know it's going to cost me some $. They are close enough I may try to stop in and take a look. Did you do the try before you buy with yours?

On the Amish using tractors, etc....I think that often Mennonites get confused with Amish. Mennonites use auto's, tractors, etc but dress much like the Amish. May not be the case with what you saw, but it is one of the differences between Amish and Mennonites.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yes I done the demo deal. Do that for sure. If you don't like it driving or shipping isn't near as expensive as loosing money on a saddle you don't like(I lost money on a tucker and circle y).

The saddles are expensive to me compared to some but we like them better than anything else we've been able to try so far.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
My friend has amish he deals with in Ohio that drive tractors and stuff. We have Mennonites here too. They're also funny. They'll to buy a dodge diesel truck but it has to be black and can't have certain options. Only reason I know this is because a good friend of mine sells trucks in town. The girls also wear colorful dresses and bonnets. Some are pretty too so maybe less ah um....line breeding...grin

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Here you go....haha

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Nice. Tennessee walker? Good looking dog too! We just picked up a gaited horse for my fiancée. First one I've been around. Takes some getting used to. First time I rode him, I thought he was lame! Hahaha

Jared
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
yes sir we ride walking horses. Started with quarter horses but unfortunately I don't know how to rope pen or any other handy things ( would be nice because we raise cattle too) so the walkers work best for our needs. Thank you he is a nicer example of the type horses we like to use. I hope I can show you a pic of him helping me get a elk out in a few months.

Lol The dog was dropped as a pup. Figured she wouldn't hurt anything at the barn...boy was I wrong. Her and her mate I guess chewed up everything two puppies would. Don't have a clue what kind they are but they're pretty good company.

Last edited by Kaleb; 07/22/15.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I enjoy the dogs tagging along.
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had my dog on a mule ride two weeks ago. First outing with stock for her. When it was open, she would range around, when the trail got tight she would get right between the mule's legs. One of the mules didn't like that and kicked her out. I thought she would stay away after that- no, she just chose a different mule for shade!

NRA Benefactor Member

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Haha she just picked another one for shade. I guess she didn't take it too personal. Mine get so hot sometimes I figure they'd just stay at the barn but they don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.