-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
100gr Thunderheads for elk, deer and bear.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Stos 160grn Two blade. From a 53# Blacktail recurve. Just got back from Canada bear hunt. Got a 6' bear. Shot completely through him with the Stos on a Sitka Spruce arrow from Paul Jalon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
190 grs. 2" wide Simmons Tree Sharks. I used to switch around a lot till I shot a whitetail with these. I only hunt deer these days..with recurves.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ulmer edge is what I've been shooting the past few years. Love them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Gotta love the Toxic...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Razor trick's for me..

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Exodus 100 grain heads for deer and bear...have been using them for three years and really like them

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Gotta love the Toxic...

Do tell. I've seen them but they looked a bit gimmicky to me, but of course things are not always what they appear.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't see myself changing from the slick trick anytime soon. If I do, it will be to the grave digger.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Slick Tricks for me. I use them for whitetail hunting. They shoot closest to a field point of any broadhead I've tried.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I seem to be about the only one but I have always used Wasp 4 blade SST, I have had good luck with them and they are not too expensive. I use them for elk and deer.

Last edited by TAGLARRY; 07/03/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Slick trick 100 gr magnum.

Never failed me.

-Ken

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
100 grain g5 montec carbon steel, Whitetails, mule deer, elk and black bear

fly really really good!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use both Slick Trick mag and Magnus four blade, both in 125 grain. Have had exceptional luck with both on deer and large African animals.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wife and I will both be shooting 3 blade 100 gr Muzzy's this season. But there sure are a lot of you shooting STs.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
100 gr 3 blade Muzzy, killing deer with them since 1994. Tried the NAP Killzones took a couple with them and had one not pentrate on a shoulder, went back to the old Muzzy 100. Why change good results.

Fück Joe byron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first bear with a mechanical came this weekend. Ive been very slow to actually use a mechanical on a big game animal. I've used them on turkeys for years. I think on turkeys they are the best invention in broad heads possible. The stiff quills snap the blades open and the light bones allow even a mechanical to crush and slice through them.

When I was given a pack of the hypodermics by another outfitter and asked to just give them a shot, I agreed that I would. At which point I had at least a few mechanicals here that I was fooling around with on the turkeys. The only one I liked and that functioned 100% of the time was the Rage, I don't know the model, It's green and has a half moon shaped razor on the tip.

It was too flimsy in my opinion to use on big game. Then when I was given the package of the Hypodermics, ...... well they were built like I would build something. These were heavy duty and sharp as possible. I used the practice head in the package to shoot with my field points. There was no difference in the POI. I used one of the functional heads to shoot a turkey, opened upon impact and before entry, this is a decisive function which must happen with a mechanical or it's off the list for me. Way too many designs open upon impact but after entry.

These leave a small entry hole, then open so big they take extraordinary power to exit. Thats a big problem if they don't exit. Now all you have is a bullet hole on the entry side. If from a tree stand it's a bullet hole up high too. The whole intent with this is an extraordinary blood trail after all.

So I shoot a bear with it, A nice big bear too, well over the 300lb mark and with a 19" skull. So it was a good test animal with a good size. The shot was 26-28 yards, from a tree stand. shooting down. I was 17 feet up to the bow, not the platform, so probably 14 foot to the platform. The steepness of the canyon puts me only 12-15 feet from the ground next to me at eye level on one side and with the creek on the opposite side below me the stand is probably 25 feet from the ground on that side.

I shoot 65 pounds with an Elite energy 32, 28.5" draw 440 grain arrows and getting about 285fps. I have video of this shot which is crystal clear. The arrow and the bright green Lighted nock went perfectly through the bears chest. The light disappeared, and in slow motion the bear has not moved or even realized it has been hit. Then a split second goes by and he leaps to bite the wound. At this point on the video the blood can be clearly seen pouring from the hole. In the next second he is full span stride running, with blood pouring from the hole and seen as a big red cloud under him in the video. Another long stride with the exact same big red cloud, and he was gone.

About 3-5 seconds go by and he can be heard giving up with the moaning sound typical of bears. When recovered he was not 50 yards from the shot. The arrow exited clean trough and was laying on the ground just beyond where he stood. This was as fast as a bear can be killed or stopped without a CNS hit. Even with a firearm I have seen many bears go this far or further.

So the rage hypodermic has done as well as anyone could expect on this. Better then I expected, but as I was hoping it would turn out. I will use one on my next bear as well. I have no opinion on big game where steep quartering shots, or bone impact is involved. However I have very little experience in those conditions with a fixed blade head either. I'm in a fortunate point in my life that if I don't like the shot I don't take it. There will be more chances. So I don't participate in the debates that mechanicals don't work in some conditions. I don't use them or any other broad head in those conditions to have concern with.

One other thought, I love the Switchback at 63 pounds and 265fps with 425 grain arrows. There is however a pretty significant difference with 65 pounds at 285fps with a 440 -450 grain arrows.

Only 2 more pounds of draw weight, but a nice increase in delivered power! This is the power level a guy needs to get the best performance from a mechanical. Sub 60 pound draw and light arrows I believe are the recipe for failure or poor performance. This is where I believe the controversy with mechanicals has it's roots. Mechanicals need more power.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the three blade NAP Thunderheads in my compounds and Magnus Two Blade Stingers in my Longbows.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well lookee what showed up in the mail today (along with my broad head target)....

[Linked Image]

Interestingly enough,mother local Sportsmans Warehouse had the 'old' packaging ST in standard and Magnum for $28. On te same shelf were the 'new' packaged ST including some Vipertricks.....$40!

Guess that yellow ink is expensive! whistle

I'll be hunting Muleys with these as I drew rifle for elk and pronghorn.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be using ST because they seem popular, I've been outta archery for years, and I don't have to think about it.....

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, Ackman, 257wthbylover, 16 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.