Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
That reshaping and oil finish came out mucho nice. The ultimate righty/lefty rifle. Great candidate for a "I only need one rifle" discussion.
Bob

I think you know me all too well... grin. You are a lefty shooter, is it me or is the m1917 just easier to manipulate than anything other than a tang safety???? I like the model 70 wing safety, but find the m1917 style just simpler and easier to use... eek crazy I'm almost half tempted to turn this into a 308 Norma and start selling everything else I have... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice job BSA. I have a weakness for those lefty stocked military sporters too. This one had a monte carlo hump I took off so I could get my fat face low enough to see the sights. Wish I could get rid of that white line under the forend tip too.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
tmitch, that is a cool old rifle. I like it!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, this is my new favorite rifle and for good reason.... wink.. I put some of those el-cheapo 200gr. Nosler partition seconds ($13.45/bag) to good use these last few weeks. Shot my buck with the old girl a few days into buck season and my bull on the second day into the short season:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This bull is soak and wet because it rained and rained and rained during this hunt. The weather sucked balls...

This rifle brings back some good memories of when I was 12 and using my old m1917 for the first time. To me, there's not a better rifle for my style of hunting/shooting.. No that doesn't mean I'm getting rid of my 30-06 fwt or my custom 338 win mag... Just that the m1917 fits me better, it's easier to manipulate the safety lever and feels more natural to use. Almost instinctively really. That's how a good rifle should be.. How's that for a Winchester..........1917... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice critters AND rifle!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. They are definitely not monsters, but will eat well...... wink

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How much does it weigh?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rifle weighs 9 pounds even. Balances perfectly, so that helps. I don't have another rifle that fits me as well, but that's because I wasn't afraid to whittle on this stock a little. Left hand palm swell and lengthened grip really makes it comfy to shoot.... My stock refinish held up really well too, considering I hunted in the pouring azz rain for 2 days. She was sealed up good and tight.. This was a short elk season (5 days long), so I had to get er done somehow and sooner seemed better than later. wink

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's a nice rifle. I like them too. The Winchester made 17's are almost impossible to find where I live. I like the modifications you made and I didn't know a pre-64 M70 extractor would work. Good info. Thanks...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just saw this. You did well from start to finish. Congrats!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. I appreciate it... I know, to a lot of guys, this is still a clunky ol military rifle, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for them for some reason... This rifle kept calling my name when I went to the LGS. I'm glad I finally took it home. No regrets there...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a 1917. It has a Buhmiller barrel on it. It is a 22-250. I want to get it rebored to 6.5mm 06 improved.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
hanco, JES would probably re-bore that barrel for you. They generally charge about $250.00 for that service.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like these rifles as well. When I went to the Colorado School of Trades (1998), I built three of these in 300 Win Mag. One for me, my FIL, and his brother. Those rifles have been all over the US, and on two Safaris. My FIL had me build him a 416 Rigby on a Winchester and he took it on his last trip to Africa before he passed on two years ago. He said they were his favorite rifles and he made lots of good memories for him. I have both of his, along with my 300 and an '06 that was my dads. Yep, I have a soft spot for the 1917's as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for sharing longshot.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by longshot3
I like these rifles as well. When I went to the Colorado School of Trades (1998), I built three of these in 300 Win Mag. One for me, my FIL, and his brother. Those rifles have been all over the US, and on two Safaris. My FIL had me build him a 416 Rigby on a Winchester and he took it on his last trip to Africa before he passed on two years ago. He said they were his favorite rifles and he made lots of good memories for him. I have both of his, along with my 300 and an '06 that was my dads. Yep, I have a soft spot for the 1917's as well.

Very cool, any photos?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What is a P17 rifle?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's is a military rifle, look up Enfield p17. There were several manufacturers during wartime with Winchester being one of them. Enfield P-17 Rifle

Last edited by southwind; 12/08/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I found a P14, but they seem to call the other Model 17.

I have a Model 17.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I found a P14, but they seem to call the other Model 17.

I have a Model 17.

[Linked Image]

Most call them a m1917, as the tread title entails... wink

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 76 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.