Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

Well, I started out on a really nice sporterized m1917 and I'm very partial to them. I'm thinking about getting another one, but a custom left hand stocked rifle. When I work the bolt on this rifle, it brings back fond memories. Hope you guys don't look down on me for this, but for a hunting rifle, they fit me better and function a little easier than my sacred Pre 64's. I know it's blasphemous and I do apologize, but am being honest. The gun shop owner has had this particular rifle in the back of his safe for a couple years now and it may just come home with me in a few weeks...I'm thinking about re-boring it to 9.3x62mm and doing a few mods to it to make it a little more aesthetically pleasing. If I get it, I'll have it cerakoted like my 338 in midnight blue. I'll also refinish and re-contour the stock a bit. Pre64Hornet's thread made me want to start another project myself. I just wish I knew how to checker stocks!!!!! blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a Winchester 1917 as well with one of the last produced Duane Wiebe Bottom metal, Remington model 30 trigger (brownells was selling them at one time), cock on opening conversion, Douglas barrel chambered in a 300 weatherby (I bought it this way), piece of French walnut stock and one day might finish the project up its at my buds place in Idaho.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an original 1917 Winchester I let go at a weak moment several years ago with original Kerr sling on it. One I kick myself over. I also had a 1917 with Elmer Keith's inspector stamp when he was an armorer at the Ogden Armory. Yes, stupidly I don't have that one either.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nothing with a 1917. I had a few when I was into US military rifles. I think it was a far better combat rifle than the 1903, with a much better rear sight. Stronger, too.

Project guns are always more fun, BSA. Photos!
Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RGK, you fellow lefty. Here are some photos of the rifle. I shot it the other day and it is a damn tack driver. We were having some gale force winds, but I still went. I loaded up some good bullets, that I've been hanging on to for a while, for just this occasion, thinking the higher BC would buck the wind better. This didn't help with the wind blowing the target stand over and shaking my shooting bench. Wind flags were all over the place, surprised I was even on the target. Anyway, after 10 months here's the rifle:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's what I did to it Saturday after I bought it:

1. Re-drilled and tapped the receiver for 6-48 scope mounts screws. I don't know what it had, but they were not your typical 6-48 threads. What a pita to tap this hard as the hubs of hell receiver. Got her done though and the Weaver #12's are screwed on tight.

2. Glass bed the weaver #12 scope bases to the receiver of the rifle. Blue loctited the mounting screws.

3. Modified the extractor so the CRF functions properly/smoothly/perfectly.

4. Skeletonized the heavy azzed mag box to lighten it up.

5. Stoned and polished the trigger/sear, may eventually just buy a Timney like I normally do with these m1917 rifles.

6. Modified the ejector to accept a coil spring. The original leaf spring on the ejector was intact until I thought to myself that is going to be the first thing I change, then it broke... Easy modification and worth every penny!!

I realize this is not a Winchester model 70, but after growing up with one of these, you become kind of biased toward them. I love these "poor man's model 70" rifles... Don't think too poorly of me...

I don't think I'm going to have the rifle cerakoted like I had originally intended. The bluing is too nice. I realized this after getting it home and cleaning her up. I will probably re-shape the stock a bit, but as it is the cheek rest and palm swell fit me like a glove. It feels awesome when shouldering and shooting in the offhand position. I plan on shooting this one in the hunting rifle centerfire shoot this Saturday. Wish me luck!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Awesome! I think the only thing that one needs is a checkering job. Nothing fancy, just a nice point pattern with borders; it'll look correct for the era and feel great. Glad you FINALLY got a '17.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 05/10/16.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like em, I had a chance to buy one still wrapped in heavy paper,and cosmoline,It has not been dicked with since it left factory, or rebuild depot.... very tempting, I also have a line locally from an arsenal rebuild that looks real nice, the old fellow that owns has nailed many whitetails with her, he says his eyes just cannot work with the military irons and the weight makes his style of walk ,stop and look ,hard at his age anymore, it is a nice old gun, heavy sob! very best WinPoor

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is a very nice Winchester 1917 custom Flaig rifle in my area that is for sale. The stock work is amazing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am also a fan of the P14 and P17 rifles. Yours is beautifully done.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool old school back in the day milsurp sporter.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. I didn't know what kind of response to expect. I'm glad there are still a few of us out there that appreciate these old rifles. This one is different indeed, but since I shoot left handed, it's been calling my name for about 10 months now. I finally had to take it home with me.... blush

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good news. Took the rifle to the centerfire shoot (hunting rifle class) and shot a 100-4x with it. Had some newbies at the range today that pissed me off though. They were sighting in their rifles on a target 10 feet to the right of mine and shot my fu cking target 3 times. RSO told them they were shooting the wrong target and they said "oops, we thought we could shoot those targets". Then I said FU CK!!. I was shooting my .223 rem then. When we got the clear your firearms and make range cold call out, one of the stupid f ucks had an accidental discharge with his AR and shot the dirt 5 feet in front of the benches.. Glad I'm home safe right now with no bullet holes in me....!!!! Here's the target I shot with my Ruger m77 mkII .223 rem. with the 3 extra holes in it. Guess which ones are not mine:

[Linked Image]

It was windy yesterday, as a storm was moving in and we got done shooting right before it started to come down. Hope you guys are having a good weekend.

Oh yeah, I also blued the bolt handle on the m1917 and threw a pre 64 model 70 Winchester extractor on it to give it a more subdued look:

[Linked Image]

Now I'm off to buy a timney trigger for this one. You should see the military trigger. Someone put a piece of metal in to take up the slop on the 2 stage trigger, so it acts like a single stage, but it's gritty as hell and kind of tacky. I've always just thrown in the $58.00 Timney sportsman and said to hell with working on the military sob. It's not like a good sweedish mauser trigger..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well done sir!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, original pre-64 standard rifle is already heavy enough. I don't see advantage in carrying bigger crowbar unless it is chambered in 500A2 or 577A2.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great looking rifle BSA. My future plan is get a 1917 and rechamber/rebore to 400 Whelen. They are built like tanks and seem like a perfect platform for the 400.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, they are great for bigger cartridges like the 404 Jeffery, 416, 378 WBY, etc. etc... I know A square used to make some nice dangerous game rifles out of them.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So I put the Timney in the other day and it was a pain in the azz. I've done about 5 Timneys in these m1917's and they were drop in and a little stock relief and you were golden. This rifle has the Dayton Traister (I believe) speed lock cock on open kit and the cocking piece is different than the original military one. I had to modify the sear on the Timney to get the bolt to open after you pull the trigger. It works like a million dollars now though and is completely safe. Safety works great, it's all adjusted to 2.5 pounds and will make an improvement over the 4.5 pound gritty pull of the military trigger that was in it. I'll shoot it this weekend and see how much the groups shrink. I know it's going to make a huge difference in field positions/hunting as well as paper punching.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I reshaped the stock a little bit to fit me instead of the original owner. I did away with the tacky roll over and lengthened the grip. Went to an easy to care for oil finish too. I also shortened the maple burl piece on the grip which was too long and tacky as well. Still needs a good Pachmayr decelerator. Rifle not perfect, but I think it's huntable now. Eventually it might get re-bored to a 9.3x62m:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also free floated the barrel and re-glass bed the action. There was too much pressure on the barrel and noticed the poi shifted between range visits. Now since the barrel has been floated, that hasn't been an issue. Shoots to the same place now, which is how a good hunting rifle should act.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
Awesome! I think the only thing that one needs is a checkering job. Nothing fancy, just a nice point pattern with borders; it'll look correct for the era and feel great. Glad you FINALLY got a '17.
Bob

Thanks Bob. I've had great 17's in the past, but stupidly got rid of them. Grew up using one in Nevada, so I'm pretty partial to them. I'll hang on to this one for a looooooong time.

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That reshaping and oil finish came out mucho nice. The ultimate righty/lefty rifle. Great candidate for a "I only need one rifle" discussion.
Bob

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RGK
That reshaping and oil finish came out mucho nice. The ultimate righty/lefty rifle. Great candidate for a "I only need one rifle" discussion.
Bob

I think you know me all too well... grin. You are a lefty shooter, is it me or is the m1917 just easier to manipulate than anything other than a tang safety???? I like the model 70 wing safety, but find the m1917 style just simpler and easier to use... eek crazy I'm almost half tempted to turn this into a 308 Norma and start selling everything else I have... laugh

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice job BSA. I have a weakness for those lefty stocked military sporters too. This one had a monte carlo hump I took off so I could get my fat face low enough to see the sights. Wish I could get rid of that white line under the forend tip too.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
tmitch, that is a cool old rifle. I like it!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, this is my new favorite rifle and for good reason.... wink.. I put some of those el-cheapo 200gr. Nosler partition seconds ($13.45/bag) to good use these last few weeks. Shot my buck with the old girl a few days into buck season and my bull on the second day into the short season:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This bull is soak and wet because it rained and rained and rained during this hunt. The weather sucked balls...

This rifle brings back some good memories of when I was 12 and using my old m1917 for the first time. To me, there's not a better rifle for my style of hunting/shooting.. No that doesn't mean I'm getting rid of my 30-06 fwt or my custom 338 win mag... Just that the m1917 fits me better, it's easier to manipulate the safety lever and feels more natural to use. Almost instinctively really. That's how a good rifle should be.. How's that for a Winchester..........1917... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice critters AND rifle!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. They are definitely not monsters, but will eat well...... wink

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How much does it weigh?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rifle weighs 9 pounds even. Balances perfectly, so that helps. I don't have another rifle that fits me as well, but that's because I wasn't afraid to whittle on this stock a little. Left hand palm swell and lengthened grip really makes it comfy to shoot.... My stock refinish held up really well too, considering I hunted in the pouring azz rain for 2 days. She was sealed up good and tight.. This was a short elk season (5 days long), so I had to get er done somehow and sooner seemed better than later. wink

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's a nice rifle. I like them too. The Winchester made 17's are almost impossible to find where I live. I like the modifications you made and I didn't know a pre-64 M70 extractor would work. Good info. Thanks...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just saw this. You did well from start to finish. Congrats!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. I appreciate it... I know, to a lot of guys, this is still a clunky ol military rifle, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for them for some reason... This rifle kept calling my name when I went to the LGS. I'm glad I finally took it home. No regrets there...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a 1917. It has a Buhmiller barrel on it. It is a 22-250. I want to get it rebored to 6.5mm 06 improved.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
hanco, JES would probably re-bore that barrel for you. They generally charge about $250.00 for that service.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like these rifles as well. When I went to the Colorado School of Trades (1998), I built three of these in 300 Win Mag. One for me, my FIL, and his brother. Those rifles have been all over the US, and on two Safaris. My FIL had me build him a 416 Rigby on a Winchester and he took it on his last trip to Africa before he passed on two years ago. He said they were his favorite rifles and he made lots of good memories for him. I have both of his, along with my 300 and an '06 that was my dads. Yep, I have a soft spot for the 1917's as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for sharing longshot.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by longshot3
I like these rifles as well. When I went to the Colorado School of Trades (1998), I built three of these in 300 Win Mag. One for me, my FIL, and his brother. Those rifles have been all over the US, and on two Safaris. My FIL had me build him a 416 Rigby on a Winchester and he took it on his last trip to Africa before he passed on two years ago. He said they were his favorite rifles and he made lots of good memories for him. I have both of his, along with my 300 and an '06 that was my dads. Yep, I have a soft spot for the 1917's as well.

Very cool, any photos?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What is a P17 rifle?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's is a military rifle, look up Enfield p17. There were several manufacturers during wartime with Winchester being one of them. Enfield P-17 Rifle

Last edited by southwind; 12/08/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I found a P14, but they seem to call the other Model 17.

I have a Model 17.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

I have a Model 17.

[Linked Image]

Most call them a m1917, as the tread title entails... wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I have a Model 17.

[Linked Image]

Most call them a m1917, as the tread title entails... wink

I did see how you titled it. I was being like a little [bleep]. Sorry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M1917yes also known as a pattern 1917 also known as P17 also known as US Enfield.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by southwind
M1917yes also known as a pattern 1917 also known as P17 also known as US Enfield.

You need to search that, I think you are wrong. IMHO

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Southwind, Here are some pix of mine. The top is a work in progress. Its a Eddystone 30-06, that was my dads. The original stock was pretty badly fit. I found this one in the back corner of a gun shop, The guy gave it to me because he had no clue as to what kind of rifle it came off. When I told him what it was, He just gave it to me. Nice piece that needs to be refinished and checkered.

nest down is my Late FIL's rifle. It is a Winchester, 300 Win Mag. Douglas BBL, Timney trigger, and a french Walnut stock that I picked up at a garage sale in Virginia for 10 bucks! That rifle has been all over the place! I made this for him early on ans he loved it!

Third down is the 416 Rigby, on a Remington receiver, Timney trigger, Brownells "Butterball" bolt handle, #4 Douglas bbl, and a Turkish walnut stock that I made with just hand tools from a blank. I made this rifle for my final specialization project, while at CST. I got a 4.0! lol This rifle has been to Africa, and although he wanted another buffalo, he used it to kill a beautiful Gemsbok. The only animal killed with this rifle. Maybe Ill shoot a deer with it some day!

The one on the bottom is a Winchester 300 Win Mag, Douglas bbl, sitting in an MPI fiberglass handle. I re barrelled this and used it for my fiberglass project while in school. I have killed a bunch of deer with it, but now, it pretty much sits in the safe, taking a back seat to the 280 rem and the 6.5 Creed. I'll get a scope on it and take it out next year, as its a tack driver and fun to shoot at distance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Whatever makes you feel good spanky

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by longshot3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Southwind, Here are some pix of mine. The top is a work in progress. Its a Eddystone 30-06, that was my dads. The original stock was pretty badly fit. I found this one in the back corner of a gun shop, The guy gave it to me because he had no clue as to what kind of rifle it came off. When I told him what it was, He just gave it to me. Nice piece that needs to be refinished and checkered.

nest down is my Late FIL's rifle. It is a Winchester, 300 Win Mag. Douglas BBL, Timney trigger, and a french Walnut stock that I picked up at a garage sale in Virginia for 10 bucks! That rifle has been all over the place! I made this for him early on ans he loved it!

Third down is the 416 Rigby, on a Remington receiver, Timney trigger, Brownells "Butterball" bolt handle, #4 Douglas bbl, and a Turkish walnut stock that I made with just hand tools from a blank. I made this rifle for my final specialization project, while at CST. I got a 4.0! lol This rifle has been to Africa, and although he wanted another buffalo, he used it to kill a beautiful Gemsbok. The only animal killed with this rifle. Maybe Ill shoot a deer with it some day!

The one on the bottom is a Winchester 300 Win Mag, Douglas bbl, sitting in an MPI fiberglass handle. I re barrelled this and used it for my fiberglass project while in school. I have killed a bunch of deer with it, but now, it pretty much sits in the safe, taking a back seat to the 280 rem and the 6.5 Creed. I'll get a scope on it and take it out next year, as its a tack driver and fun to shoot at distance.

Longshot, thanks for sharing these are awesome! Very nicely done. Love that Rigby!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Search it Kid.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Search it Kid.

Here is a suggestion for you spanky, say what you mean and don't be an annoying ankle bitter. You could have written "technically it is a US Model 1917, caliber .30" and been done with it but you chose to play a silly little game.

Owned several, even one Winchester work over by Elmer Keith at the Ogden Armory. Won a bolt action service rifle match with that rifle. Search it junior

So anyway junior if you have something to say spit it out and don't be shy.

Last edited by southwind; 12/12/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ain't shy Kid, but you are right. Mine must be a P17 as I call it my PUDDIN Rifle. That make you happy!
Another one of my POS Enfields. It will become a 22 Hornet.
[Linked Image]
I better put this on the Remington forum.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well congratulations junior, next thing you know you might just stop communicating in riddles and get over your affliction. Baby steps, baby steps.....

That is some sweet PUDDIN though and 22 hornet would make it even sweeter.

Last edited by southwind; 12/12/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well congratulations junior, next thing you know you might just stop communicating in riddles and get over your affliction. Baby steps, baby steps.....

You know, we may have a lot in common.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You know, we may have a lot in common.

That was a little fun, truce and you do have some nice iron.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,922
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.