Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just got this in an e-mail as I hunt the Commonwealth each season.

Yes, it's legit, and yes, it's now part of the VA Hunting Regs.

Originally Posted by VDGIF
Natural Deer Urine Attractants Illegal in Virginia

Effective July 1, 2015, it will be illegal to possess or use deer scents/lures that contain natural deer urine or other bodily fluids while taking, attempting to take, attracting, or scouting wildlife in Virginia.

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) poses a significant risk to the long-term health and stability of the Virginia white-tailed deer populations. Since it was first found east of the Mississippi in Wisconsin in 2002, CWD has been found in a total of eight eastern states, including Virginia. To date, the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) has spent over one million dollars on CWD monitoring and management efforts. Importation bans on whole carcass and certain carcass parts (i.e., brain and spinal cord) from high-risk CWD areas (including areas or states infected with CWD or any North American enclosure intended to confine deer) are already in place in Virginia, along with a ban on interstate movement of captive deer and elk. Reducing the use of natural deer urine attractants by prohibiting the possession or use while afield for the purposes of taking or attempting to take, attracting, or scouting will further minimize the risk of introducing CWD into a new area of Virginia.

Why is the use of deer urine attractants risky?
The infectious proteins (i.e., prions) known to transmit CWD have been found in the urine, feces, and saliva of infected individuals.
To make these commercial scents, urine from captive elk and/or deer kept outside of Virginia is collected over a grate system that does not prevent contamination from either feces or saliva. The “urine” product is not treated chemically or with heat to kill the infectious proteins because these treatments would also secondarily destroy the desired scent characteristics. The infectious proteins causing CWD are extremely resistant to degradation and may persist in the environment for years in contaminated soil, thereby posing a disease transmission risk to deer for extended lengths of time. Additionally, many of the facilities are located in areas or states with CWD. Deer in Virginia that taste or sniff these products may actually be exposing themselves to CWD harbored by deer living hundreds of miles away that were used to collect the infected urine.

Why did the Department decide to ban these urine-based products?
The VDGIF is taking a pro-active approach on this issue and has banned possession and use until it is proven that prions are not spread in commercial deer urine products, rather than continue to risk introducing CWD to new areas until it is confirmed that urine attractants do spread prions. VDGIF’s intent with this regulation is to protect our deer hunting heritage by ensuring that future generations have the same opportunities to deer hunt as are available to Virginians today and to protect the long-term health and stability of the Virginia deer herd. Both of these goals can be achieved, in part, by trying to minimize the areas in Virginia infected with CWD.

What does “possess or use” a natural deer urine attractant mean?
It will still be legal for products that contain natural deer urine or other bodily fluids to be purchased and sold in Virginia. However, it will not be legal for individuals to have these products in their possession or on their person while afield for the purposes of taking or attempting to take, attracting, or scouting any wild animal in Virginia.

Can I collect and use urine and/or tarsal glands from deer I kill in Virginia?
You cannot use these fluids afield anywhere in Virginia. Possession or use of any natural deer urine, feces, blood, gland oil, or other bodily fluid while afield for the purposes of taking or attempting to take, attracting, or scouting any wild animal becomes illegal in Virginia starting July 1, 2015.

Are there any legal alternatives to natural deer urine lures?
Yes, there are synthetic products that can be used to attract or lure deer but do not pose any secondary risks for CWD transmission to Virginia white-tailed deer. These products are readily available at sporting goods stores and online retailers.

Why should I worry about CWD in Virginia?
Population models predict that CWD will lead to significant declines in deer populations over time. Current research in Wyoming suggests that white-tailed deer numbers are significantly lower in diseased areas than in areas where CWD has not yet been diagnosed, and CWD infection prevalence has risen to nearly 25 percent in adult bucks in some areas of Wisconsin since the initial discovery of CWD in 2002.

Not only are deer an important part of Virginia’s natural heritage, they are also important to the economy. Deer hunting in Virginia generates over $600 million in economic activity, according to data from the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s 2011 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation for Virginia. Over 20,000 jobs were related to hunting in Virginia in 2011, according to a report by the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

This prohibition on the possession or use of deer urine attractants while afield was enacted in order to protect Virginia’s deer populations and our Virginia deer hunting heritage by ensuring that future generations have the same opportunities to deer hunt as are available to Virginians today. For more information on CWD, visit our website at: http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/diseases/cwd/ .

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The VDGIF is taking a pro-active approach on this issue and has banned possession and use until it is proven that prions are not spread in commercial deer urine products, rather than continue to risk introducing CWD to new areas until it is confirmed that urine attractants do spread prions. VDGIF’s intent with this regulation is to protect our deer hunting heritage by ensuring that future generations have the same opportunities to deer hunt as are available to Virginians today and to protect the long-term health and stability of the Virginia deer herd. Both of these goals can be achieved, in part, by trying to minimize the areas in Virginia infected with CWD.

Interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Guess one will simply have to hunt into the wind.

1Minute
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

Interesting.

Agreed. They've taken the "prove it's safe" approach vs the "prove it's harmful" approach.

Consider that VA has had rather severe outbreaks of EHD and blue tongue in the herd over the past three seasons, and the correlated drops in herd size and hunter harvest. Also, considering that so many of those lures and scents come from commercial deer pen operations (think about what it takes to essentially keep a doe in estrous constantly, and to harvest every drop of urine from her), the "prove it's safe" approach might not be such a bad idea.

VDGIF has done a pretty good job of managing the deer herd in VA for decades; I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. Regardless, it's already a reg for this season so putting the word out makes sense.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Guess one will simply have to hunt into the wind.

The winds in most of VA are almost never constant, especially in the mountains. The only thing you can go by is that the winds will swirl on you and change direction throughout the day (often throughout the hour).

IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you use scents, I have a bunch of synthetics my kin in Michigan gave me.

I don't use them in my current terrain. Most of my areas have only one way in, so its not like I can play the wind on any given day.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
If you use scents, I have a bunch of synthetics my kin in Michigan gave me.

I don't use them in my current terrain. Most of my areas have only one way in, so its not like I can play the wind on any given day.

Whatcha got? PM me.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Yeah, we are going to have to rethink the cover scent plan.

It useful to hear what synthetics are in use by the Campfire crowd, and what the results were.

I agree with 4ager, the state does a decent job of management from what I have seen over the last seven years.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AH64guy

It useful to hear what synthetics are in use by the Campfire crowd, and what the results were.

I got two complete sets of Buckfever scents - all synthetic.

4ager has a set spoken for.

You want the other?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I haven't used any scents since I was a kid and it hasn't hurt me.

I have a feeling the banned scents will still be available in stores and guys will continue to use them.

IC B3

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I haven't used any scents since I was a kid and it hasn't hurt me.

I have a feeling the banned scents will still be available in stores and guys will continue to use them.

Likely, though the reduction in the supply will be something that VDGIF takes an interest in this year, to be sure.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by RWE

I got two complete sets of Buckfever scents - all synthetic.

4ager has a set spoken for.

You want the other?

Yes please.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still have your address, I'll get them on the way.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Sent you a PM as well.

I need to log off for a bit, will be back on later, and follow up.

Thank you!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

I agree with 4ager, the state does a decent job of management from what I have seen over the last seven years.

I've been using red fox urine as my only cover/attractant for 30+yrs. I use the urine sold at trapper supply houses. I keep a quart bottle in a large plastic tote with my clothes,boots,and any gear used. A month before season I take the lid off the bottle. I also carry a small spray bottle with me when hunting. When I get set up I'll spray the foliage around me. Needless to say after all this time my gear is well saturated with scent. Too many positive incidents to mention but I've had deer trail me to stands or get spooked away by vehicles or hunters and return to me sometimes bringing other deer with them. No bad experiences. Seems there is some kind of relationship between deer and red fox I've noticed over the years. Many years ago when I did a lot of groundhog hunting it was not unusual at all to see a fox within or around a group of deer feeding in fields at evening. Only time I use a deer scent attractant is when making and hunting a mock scrape. I just started hunting Va. the year before last. Couldn't hunt at all last season due back surgery. So I guess I'll quit using the deer scent. I hunt Shenandoah Co. which is a CWD restricted county. But like you and 4ager I do agree with what VDNR is doing.

Last edited by EZEARL; 07/14/15.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Last edited by EZEARL; 07/15/15.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by EZEARL

I've been using red fox urine as my only cover/attractant for 30+yrs. I use the urine sold at trapper supply houses. I keep a quart bottle in a large plastic tote with my clothes,boots,and any gear used. A month before season I take the lid off the bottle. I also carry a small spray bottle with me when hunting. When I get set up I'll spray the foliage around me. Needless to say after all this time my gear is well saturated with scent. Too many positive incidents to mention but I've had deer trail me to stands or get spooked away by vehicles or hunters and return to me sometimes bringing other deer with them. No bad experiences. Seems there is some kind of relationship between deer and red fox I've noticed over the years. Many years ago when I did a lot of groundhog hunting it was not unusual at all to see a fox within or around a group of deer feeding in fields at evening. Only time I use a deer scent attractant is when making and hunting a mock scrape. I just started hunting Va. the year before last. Couldn't hunt at all last season due back surgery. So I guess I'll quit using the deer scent. I hunt Shenandoah Co. which is a CWD restricted county. But like you and 4ager I do agree with what VDNR is doing.

I have access to hunt up by Lebannon Church, same county.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/15/15.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I hunt the GW National Forest near my daughter's place in Jerome.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Was at Walmart this eve in front royal, and they just put out a bunch of the banned scents. I am sure they will sell many.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been expecting this.

There is evidence that suggests that the spread of CWD is, at least in some cases, due to human activity. Game farms, involved in, among other things, the production of scents and captive breeding in the attempt to breed "super deer" have been found to contain infected animals, not only deer, but elk. Any farmer can tell you how hard it is to keep deer out of places you don't want them. It's just as hard to keep them in places you do. Once the prions, which are extremely difficult to destroy, get introduced to an area by infected animals or other means, they are pretty much there forever. If urine-based scents have the potential to spread CWD, banning them is an excellent idea. WV has been discouraging the practice of baiting for a while, but hasn't banned it yet, except in CWD zones. I expect, and hope that soon they do it statewide to help slow down the spread of this crap. A couple of the best hunting areas in WV fall in the CWD zones which means that you can't take any deer harvested there out of the area until the potentially infected parts have been removed. This, as a practical matter, puts those areas off limits to traveling hunters. I just hope that it's not too late for restrictions to have an effect, given that CWD spreads naturally once introduced, whatever the source.

There's going to be some serious wailing and gnashing of teeth over this in VA.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,558
Posts18,453,692
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.