Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by Pappy348

[Linked Image]

Is that a 24" barrel?

Nice rifle.

Supposed to be, but haven't measured it. It's much lighter than the barrel on the FI 1948 in my other post. Same odd-sized front sight dovetail. Like all Sakos, it's nicely done. One interesting feature is that the side rail behind the bridge on the right is slotted for a tab that locks the bolt when the safety is applied. Never seen that one before. No crest on the bridge either.

Like Old Jack said, anyone that thinks he knows everything about Mausers is in for some surprises.

Thanks; it is a nice one. I almost didn't bid as I need another rifle like I need another winky, but now I'm glad I did.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If you watch the auctions, the FN Deluxes can be had for decent prices at times. They have a classic stock profile. I had one in .270 briefly, but sold it to a gunsmith acquaintance before I ever scoped or fired it. Lots of them have no rear sight though.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by devnull
The triggers are definitely odd. I've been thinking about replacing it with a Timney or a Bold. However, it's almost a given that the trigger guard will need to be milled for a Timney.

I have several J.C. Higgins M50s that I put Timney triggers in. I did have to open up the stock a bit to clear the trigger housing but that was all I had to drop.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
The triggers are definitely odd. I've been thinking about replacing it with a Timney or a Bold. However, it's almost a given that the trigger guard will need to be milled for a Timney.

I have several J.C. Higgins M50s that I put Timney triggers in. I did have to open up the stock a bit to clear the trigger housing but that was all I had to drop.
Paul B.

The reason I asked if it was too long is because I just dropped a a FN (JC Higgins) into a McMillan Sako Compact with M98 inletting. After it was done the trigger (Timney Sportsman) was just barely touching the bottom of the trigger guard.

It wasn't a big deal though. I just shortened the shoe by about a 1/16" and all is good. I did think it was strange though. I thought it had pillar contact on the last stock but I guess it didn't. Otherwise it was a good fit and the rifle seems to like the new stock.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like you picked the right model. When I ordered the B&C Medalist for my FI FN, I made the mistake of ordering the 2197, as per the on-site recommendation. As a result, I had to remove a bunch of material to fit the plunger tube for the floorplate release and fill in the corners of the mag opening and the relief cut for a side safety. A 2193, meant for regular 98s, would have been a better fit, I believe.

That ought to teach me about ordering things in the middle of the night, when my thought processes, shaky at best, are at their worst.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Scope update......

I dug a Buehler bridge mount and rings out of my goodie box and used them to mount the old Widefield. Assuming the shims are tight enough, I'm good to go for now. Looks vintage appropriate too, I think.

Buehlers ain't for babies, at least not babies without instructions. While the stock is too high for the open sights, the Buehler Little Blue Peep is just high enough to use. I'm glad I didn't hop on that $50 Ace-in-the-Hole I found on Ebay.

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TC1

Too long?

Triggers are two piece, with the sears attaching to the gun, and the trigger a long blade that is attached to the bottom metal. I have had three, one with about an 8 pound pull, one with about 5 pound pull, and my current in 270 with about a 2pound pull.

The stock is hands down the worse the design I have even encountered, but Boyds makes and inlet for it, and I am about to order one in Walnut

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, the trigger sucks. I've owned a few myself and that's the first thing done before I even shot them. With the exception of the last one I've never had to modify anything to install one.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I replaced mine with a Bold. No modifications were required. First Bold I ever used but zero problems.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 28 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,501
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.