Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Was wondering if anyone is running a 4Runner as a hunting rig or off-road type vehicle? I've been looking for a 1st gen tundra or a early 4 door Tacoma to use as a full time hunting rig and haven't been able to find the right one at a decent price. I have to have 4 doors to accommodate 2 or three hunters. I've found a 02 gen 3? 4Runner at a good price. I'm thinking suspension lift and a couple of racks, roof and hitch, and I think it might be usable. Anyone have any builds or thoughts wether it would be a viable option?

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
GB2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I own a 1998 (3rd Gen) 4runner and it will do everything a hunting rig needs to do except have room for lot of gear. You did not say what game you will be hunting but with the seats up there is little room for gear no less a animal.

You say you are going to install a hitch so I assume you will have a trailer available and that solves the issue of transporting a animal.

As far as capable off road it is as good as any and better than most.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been the SUV route with an old Blazer, 2 Wagoneers, and a Surburban. No more. I want a truck. I'm tired of cleaning the mess out of back of the car, blood on the carpet, etc.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
This would be a vehicle that I guide out of. I hunt everything up to elk. I have a '13 Tundra, which I would probly still use for elk due to the headache rack winch. I'm just tired of tearing up expensive pickups every 5 years. No trailer, was just thinking of a hitch rack and maybe some kind of rack up front. I keep going back to the plan of a little pickup too, but this is a pretty good deal.

Jared
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
NM,

It is going to be fairly full inside a 3rd Gen 4runner with 3 people and all of the gear, that is the only reason I would hesitate on it. I love my 4runner but I use my truck for the same reason Rock Chuck noted above. I use my Crew Cab Ford truck for all of my hunting needs, especially when taking others with me.

Now if you spend a few hundred bucks on a small utility trailer you can haul deer and quartered elk out without loading it into the SUV with all of your other gear and could most likely make that work.

I think my 4runner is the very best vehicle I have ever owned, much better than my ford, but like Rock Chuck I like a truck to hunt out of.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 99 V6 5-spd with home-built hitch basket and 32" mud tires is a great hunting machine. That's what it was bought for and we love it. Nearly 200k on it now. Runs great. Could use some stiffer springs out back when loaded, but that's easy.

Now with even more aplomb
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
[Linked Image]
I like the 3rd gens the best but my 2nd gen with the 3.slow motor gets the job done. The rocket box adds space for summer/fall and I can stick the skis/snowboard in it in the winter. I've been without a truck since kids and I've gotten by just fine with a hitch basket for hauling dead stuff. For getting around the tight back roads the little toyotas have got me there and back.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NMpistolero
This would be a vehicle that I guide out of. I hunt everything up to elk. I have a '13 Tundra, which I would probly still use for elk due to the headache rack winch. I'm just tired of tearing up expensive pickups every 5 years. No trailer, was just thinking of a hitch rack and maybe some kind of rack up front. I keep going back to the plan of a little pickup too, but this is a pretty good deal.

My vote is to keep searching for a 4 door taco or older tundra... I've had first gen (85) and a 99 4-runner and much prefer the pickups for hunting and room.... Good luck in your search..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I too would suggest looking for a 4 dr 'Taco truck...

resale prices are high for a reason...they are good units...

I have a '98 Taco V6 ext cab...use the hell outta it..

wife has an '05 Tacoma 4 dr....auto....but she won't let me have it

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went from a 2013 4Runner Trail Edition to an 06 DC Tundra. Keep looking for a tundra. The bed space is just invaluable and the drivetrain for the 05 and 06 Tundra is bulletproof

Don't get me wrong, the 4Runners are great, I just prefer the truck

Go to the online forum at Expedition Portal as they have all sorts of truck builds over there

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What game do you usually hunt and how long do you hunt for? Is going to be mostly day trips, or multi day trips?

The 4Runners are good vehicles and can make a fine hunting vehicle but as with any such vehicle it will be a compromise and it's important to get that compromise right for your particular circumstances/situation...

Last edited by Pete E; 07/15/15.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It'll work, but I've concluded a 4 door truck with a cap on it is the best combo. I've tried to make hunting rigs out of various SUV's but the truck keeps winning. I had an 02 Ford Supercrew for a while and am currently driving an 07 4 door Tacoma. It is the best rig I've ever owned.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
It'll work, but I've concluded a 4 door truck with a cap on it is the best combo. I've tried to make hunting rigs out of various SUV's but the truck keeps winning. I had an 02 Ford Supercrew for a while and am currently driving an 07 4 door Tacoma. It is the best rig I've ever owned.

If you don't need more than "good" off road ability, I think a 4 door Pick-up (with or without a cap) is just about the ideal
all rounder..

This is especially the case since SUV's went more "yuppified" and less practical/ "workman-like"

Sadly, Pick-ups are going the same way over here simply as many are bought as "life style" vehicles and never really see any work..

They are also "bloating" and getting bigger with most now being at least Tundra size while offering no real/practical increase in passenger or cargo space..

The older Hilux were about perfect for hunting in the UK, but they too are approaching Tundra size/weight which means they are getting les off-road capable..

Last edited by Pete E; 07/15/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always favored a truck with cap over an SUV, and I have had several of both. I don't guide or anything like that, buy my experience has been the trucks are:

1. Cheaper that the equivalent SUV, even after adding cap
2. More durable, and sprung better for loads and towing
3. More adaptable to multiple uses
4. Retain a higher resale value

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had a Grand Cherokee for a while that I used as my hunting/camping vehicle which is similar in size. I am primarily a small game/waterfowl hunter; big game hunting is secondary for me so hauling out game was not the primary issue. With 2 guys and our waterfowl equipment (couple dozen decoys, guns, waders, etc) it was pretty loaded. With 3 guys we could barely fit all of our equipment. I now drive a Nissan Frontier CC SB with a topper. Even with the small box, getting 4 guys and all of our equipment has never been an issue.

On more than 1 occasion I've thought of going back because an SUV is a little more family oriented and comfortable to drive daily, but the overall capability of a truck just can't be beat.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I hear you guys. Hell, half the time I run out of room with a full size pickup. I'll keep the hunt going for tundra or a 4 dr Tacoma! Thanks for that link Drum, there are a lot of ideas for good builds on there!!

Jared
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear you guys. Hell, half the time I run out of room with a full size pickup. I'll keep the hunt going for tundra or a 4 dr Tacoma! Thanks for that link Drum, there are a lot of ideas for good builds on there!!

I could spend hours on that site looking at what some of those guys do to their trucks

It is pretty awesome

I put an Old Man Emu kit on my 06 Tundra and it rides like a dream

Drummond

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Good to know about the OME, that's what I'm planning on running.

Just watching the Huntin Fool Bighorn show, Lo and behold, two first gen tundras!! I think I may have found one. Trying to figure out how to check it out, 8 hrs away!

Jared
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Just watching the Huntin Fool Bighorn show, Lo and behold, two first gen tundras!! I think I may have found one. Trying to figure out how to check it out, 8 hrs away!

I had an 06 and it was a great truck. It was not the most powerful, but it was adequate. the only thing I replaced in the 100k miles I had it were tires, breaks, and air filters.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm not sure how far you're willing to travel to get one but this seems like a reasonable price for a great truck.

First Gen Tundra

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It's a salvage..

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks, but that's a bit further than I would want to travel. Seems a little pricey for a salvage? I guess that shows how desirable they are!! Hahaha

Jared
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sweet!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
within a 300 mile radius of where I live

If you want to fly and drive one of these might be interesting

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have a 2005 Tundra that has had zero problems. However, look and you will see they had a frame recall with a rust issue.

Bad enough and they will replace the frame. Minor and they spray it with a coating. Mine just received the spray, but they have replaced at least 5 at the dealership. Saw a truck yesterday delivering additional frames.

Last edited by battue; 07/22/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My nephew got in on the Tacoma frame recall a few years ago. They could see light through pinholes in his frame so they put it on the lift for a closer look. When they lifted it the frame broke. He'd just driven it on a 3000 mile trip the week before. That could have happened at 75.

They gave him within $2k of what he'd paid for it 6 or 7 years earlier. He came out great on the deal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No longer going with giving out the big dollars.

With the Tundra, it is a new frame or spray if only surface.

Interesting to watch them tear one down and replace a frame. Mechanic told me they have it down to around 36hours.

He also wants to buy mine with 75,000, but not ready to give it up yet.

Spent a weekend driving around in friends new Chevy. Pretty nice ride.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have a 99 4Runner and they don't need schit to make them a good hunting rig. For three guys I'd fold down one rear seat for a little extra room.

The cab of a similar Tacoma isn't going to give you much extra room. The bed will be nice but the leg room is going to be a draw and the 4Runners can be found for cheaper than the Tacomas.

The range on them sucks if fuel is a concern.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by deflave
The range on them sucks if fuel is a concern.

Travis

That's going to be true of a Tacoma too. That's my number 1 gripe on my Frontier, even averaging 19-20mpg I can only get ~350 miles out of a tank. With the camper in tow and 14 mpg it's downright burdensome having to stop for fuel all the time.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ajmorell

That's going to be true of a Tacoma too.

Yes.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do love my 05 Tacoma but its just not big enough for more than 2 guys. You can make 3 guys work but its very tight. When I get the funds Im going to buy a Tundra or something similar sized just for the fact to give clients more leg room. I have the EMU suspension on my Tacoma it helped it alot.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you are a guide, I would be looking at a gas powered Super Duty 07 and up. Likely crew cab what ever bed you want 4x4.

I have a Tundra and it is a good truck but it has some short comings. The single biggest is it does not have a limited slip. I know Toyota claims there is one but there is NOT. It has a traction control device that applies the brakes to the slipping wheel in hopes that the other wheel will gain traction. What this does is wear on your brakes and causes unnecessary torsional rotation on your axle shaft that is have the brakes applied.

Having used my truck in the mud and snow, it is at best marginal. A factory Ford (or any American company) LSD works much better. I would guess that this truck will spend a bunch of time in the dirt and that is something to consider.

I said a 07+ Ford because of the solid axle and coil spring suspension Ford uses. The 05 and 06 gas motors with 3 valves could be... finicky. They went to a new 6.2l in 08 with the then new body style, an 07 or 08 might be fairly inexpensive. The suspension is really good off road, the cab is big to keep clients comfortable.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
No longer going with giving out the big dollars.

With the Tundra, it is a new frame or spray if only surface.

Interesting to watch them tear one down and replace a frame. Mechanic told me they have it down to around 36hours.

He also wants to buy mine with 75,000, but not ready to give it up yet.

Spent a weekend driving around in friends new Chevy. Pretty nice ride.

You decide you want to get rid of it, drive it next time you head to Less Traveled Road and I'll be there with the $$$... Heck I'll even buy dinner at O'Bryans!!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a '97 3rd gen 4runner, no lift but with the limited package it has an electric rear locker, and with 285's it's been anywhere I've wanted to go. In fact if it had more ground clearance it'd go further.

We had a rubber floor liner. For carrying stuff add a roof rack.

Fuel mileage is not good. Front brakes take a beating, and the v6 is prone to head gasket issues. Still though the idea of replacement is a quandary. The closest replacement would likely be a Tacoma crew cab with a camper shell.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my daily driver, as well as my off road/hunting vehicle, is a 1988 4Runner. 22R engine, with the fuel injection. Auto transmission, 4X4, 15/235/R15 tires.
I put a lot of highway miles on it, and a lot of miles in sand, mud and swamps. 23 mpg on the road, and a smooth ride. Goodyear Wrangler tires (brand new ones now, third set). 350,000 miles, but there are a LOT of new parts. Front end, hubs, brakes, Power steering, alternator, O2 sensor, shocks, drive shaft.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/03/15.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam,

I am always a little envious when you guys post pics of you're 4Runners with huge milleages on them!

The winter salting of our roads tends to kill a lot of older vehicles over here, although the anti-corrosion work on modern vehicles has improved the situation a good deal.

Regards,

Peter

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Around here the Methheads and Headbangers.. all unemployed with too much time on their hands...will steal an old 80s 4 Runner or Toyota Pickup quicker than they would a new Corvette....

then take them out, trash them and then scrap them out for parts or just push them off a mountain side...

a year or so ago, I had someone try to steal mine.. while I was sitting in the drivers seat on my cell phone...

stoned idiot was so high, he didn't even notice me sitting in the drivers seat as he was trying to jimmy the passenger door...

rapped on the window and held my hand like I was holding a gun... guy pissed himself and then ran off screaming...

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For all around utility, ride and handling, my 2000 Tundra extra cab V-8 4x4 w/ work shell and rack suits me so well. Its quality is very evident after owning Yukon, Suburban, F250, Explorer and Land Cruiser 4x4's.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've been hunting and wheeling a 2003 4Runner with the V8 since 2008. You simply won't find a better or more capable rig IMO. I consistently shock the Jeep guys when my 4Runner walks right through rough sections that they thought I couldn't make. I've put some money in it for suspension and bumpers. Incredibly reliable, runs great, smooth ride. Love it.

[Linked Image]

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I hired a guide and he showed up with a 4runner and said I had to ride in the back seats. I would ask for a refund.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by baltz526
If I hired a guide and he showed up with a 4runner and said I had to ride in the back seats. I would ask for a refund.

Yeah, Guides have to put up with clients like that from time to time..

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Hahahaha Amen Pete!!

Jared
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by baltz526

lol, let me know how that works out for you

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess you will never find out. Idiots with tiny rigs that think they are guides is funny.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People too fat to fit in a 4Runner calling themselves "hunters" make me laugh!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
oh we have a lot of those type over here Pete...

usually not so much in 4 Runners...

We call'em road hunters... usually 300 lbs plus, driving a big noisy Diesel pick up, with a lift kit...bright color, and in the inside they are wearing camo head to toe, and the seat and interior is all covered in camo gear also...

They drive around thinking they are going to sneak up on game, grazing off the side of a dirt forest service road, in their diesel, and once they get there, the deer or game won't see them with them all dressed up in that camo...

usually sporting some sort of Magnum cartridge, with a $75 scope on top with a 50mm objective and see thru mounts...

There are a dime a dozen in a lot of places...all over the USA

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great thread!

LOL

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Seafire

We call'em road hunters... usually 300 lbs plus, driving a big noisy Diesel pick up, with a lift kit...bright color, and in the inside they are wearing camo head to toe, and the seat and interior is all covered in camo gear also...

They drive around thinking they are going to sneak up on game, grazing off the side of a dirt forest service road, in their diesel, and once they get there, the deer or game won't see them with them all dressed up in that camo...

usually sporting some sort of Magnum cartridge, with a $75 scope on top with a 50mm objective and see thru mounts...

Me and my hunting partner noticed them around here elk hunting as well. They go off what we call the "10 foot rule" no one can get 10 feet from the truck while "hunting"

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

Perfect description of what is around here. They usually hunt until around 9am and then call it a day to go sit around and brag about all the biggun's they are seeing but just can't get a shot at.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Get a cargo carier for your Tow hitch reciver thats what i use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 87 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.