24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great Post, thanks NB.I believe that was either the year before or after my old male "Tank's"(the L/W in my avatar) sire "Bud" won the Nat. making it either '03 or '05 but I could be wrong.

BORN to HUNT
BP-B2

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
"Hey, there are some really big Dogs in my yard. You best do something about it, before I have to kick some serious azz!!!!"

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm lovin' this thread!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
kcl Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Awesome pic Harry!! Can't wait to see him!

Go hard or go Home!!!
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Took him out for a wood run last night. Hot and tried to keep him out of the low places, but somehow he found a mud hole to wallow in. And he is definitely signed off on wallowing. Got it down almost perfectly

Guess who came home with poison something?

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey battue,

Will he see any action this fall? Also, have you tried any water retrieves with him? I know he is primarily a flusher/retriever but I bet he would make a water dog as well. I am glad to hear that you two are having fun.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Wilkes,

Thanks and yes he is going to have some field time in that he will be 8months old come hunting season.

Toby has slowed down since last year, but he is big for a Cocker. Much like a stout Springer and it has worn on him.

Besides day trips, four of us-the other three pointer Men-rent a cabin up North for a week and spend the time hunting Grouse and hitting the Game Lands for stocked Pheasant. So Merlo should get into a lot of stocked Birds at minimum.

As an aside, Toby is trained to hup-or stop on a whistle-when a Pointers beeper goes off and he doesn't mess up their points. Merlo will have an early problem with that but we will work him into it.

On of the guys also raises a bunch of Quail to train his Dogs on, so Merlo will get to fool with them before the season.

Then three three of us are heading to Michigan for a week and usually get into a fair amount of Woodcock which should be great for a young Dog. Not sure exactly where we are going. One guy cancelled out this year and I was offered the chance to go.

Last week on a friends farm there is a pond and Merlo was jumping in and retrieving sticks. Toby was along and when he saw him going in, it took about 30minutes and he took the plunge. Fun to watch. I have it on my cell phone, but as of now haven't figured out how to upload it onto Google or Youtube and transfer it to here.

Lord willing, if things work out it should be a fun year.

I think you need another Boykin or start looking at a Cocker. grin

Last edited by battue; 08/09/15.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
It looks like Merlo has a heck of a season coming up. As you know, this is where some incredible memories are made.

I lived in western Michigan for three years and we ran into a lot of Woodcock in the areas north of Baldwin. Lots of Grouse there too. This hunting is flat and very easy compared to southwest Pennsylvania.

If you put in some effort with the water training you will have a duck dog too. Get him a Neoprene vest, and yes they make them for dogs his size. With him having fun retrieving sticks, you have the fundamentals of what you need. Keep him away from hazards and rough shoreline until he gets older and has a few birds to his credit.

You are right on the Boykin or Cocker. The desire to have another never leaves me. Right now we have four dogs, three of which are rescues, so a hunting dog is out of the question at this point. I hope to get one for my kids to train in a few years.

You boys have a blast this season!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
First water retrieve!!!! Huuuuhaaaa laugh

Burning up the wheat. Have to look close.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
Been awhile so it is fun to try and figure out a puppies mind.

Cool to watch him standing still, contemplating something only he knows and then instantly break into a full bore couple circle run around the yard. Perhaps stumble, do a chest slide, gather his feet and mash the peddle again. Then put on the breaks and go back to contemplating.

Thanks Battue, for posting the pics, the videos, and the narrative. Way cool. From the looks of that first water retrieve he looks to be a water lover. No problem should a bird end up in a ditch.

We whippet folks call what you described and I highlighted "the zoomies". Whippets be really good at them! Now if only a guy could train them to hold instead of chasing stuff down. confused

I have to remember to come back to this part of the forum more often.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good stuff.

Please keep 'em coming.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hey, Battue; our extended family may be related?
I had been talking to Emily about a pup and went down to see her facility and dogs. She did not have a litter at the time but suggested I visit a friend of hers that had a litter from two dogs out of Kinchafoonee. Well you know what happens when you take your wife to look at pups; this is Abbey at 4 months. She is now a 9 month old Roan and 30 lbs of muscle and energy. I will get you a more current pic, but don't want to hijack your thread.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 08/20/15.
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Cruiser,

Feel free to chyme in with pics of your Dog. For sure, no problem on this end. It is all good.

It sure looks like they may have some common blood flowing.

Merlot finally decided it would be a good idea to start eating Yankee food and is now up around 23pounds. Would like to get some more muscle on him before the season starts.

With past Springer and Cocker pups they were content to follow the veteran around and learn the ropes. Not this guy.
He gets out on his own. Came around a bend in a field the other day and I caught him hitting the gas. Next thing I knew it was a race to the woodline with a Groundhog.

They can put a hurt on a Dog that doesn't know the game and Merlot hasn't picked that up yet. He caught the Hog right before the wood and rolled him while I was trying to get there. The Hog decided to stand his ground and Merlot hesitated. At which time the Hog made his escape into the wood and I got a hold of him. At this stage I think Merlot would have come out on the short end, so all worked out for the best.

Would really enjoy hearing about you Dog.

Last edited by battue; 08/20/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a gorgeous little puppy you have there, Battue!
I watched the video, I've hunted over a lot of dogs but never an English Cocker that can remember.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome.. Missed much of this when we were camping and no internet service..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Battue, beauty pup!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks again to all.

Great thing he is starting to listen better with each day.

Then his nose is beginning to come alive. Just tonight a rabbit ran thru the yard and into the wood. He crossed the track, jerked his head and did a 90 into the brush.

Friends raised Quail will be coming up shortly.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Battue, What a great pup, English Cocker's are wonderful dogs, I have had the pleasure of hunting with some great dogs in my lifetime of all breeds, but the English Cocker, is special bird dog and friend.
I wish you good times with Merlow, and great hunting. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you guys sure those aren't miniature Llewellins?? confused confused

GREAT looking pups, both of them! cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Your right, they do have that kind of coloration. She was almost solid white except head and butt patch when I got her. People are always asking me what kind of dog she is; Abbey at 9 months:

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (308ld, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.