Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by battue
Today:

Started off with going out for an afternoon hunt. Half way down the steps the little guy ran between my feet with the expected result. Got the hands out and did an off kilter front roll. Wonderful eh. smile Only smiling because everything was intact at the bottom. Knee took a thump, but it should be all right.

Then hunted 3 hours without a flush. No so wonderful. frown But eh, all arrived home intact. Could have been better or it could have been worse. Good day I'm thinking.

Looked around and found this.

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article/feeding-the-hardworking-hunting-dog-Page1.htm

Sorry to hear about your almost catastrophic day today. I'm on my tablet and don't know if that is why I can't view both pages of the link you posted. I did read one page about the 26g of protein. I feed my dogs call of the wild as a supplement nowadays, wife switched them to 95 percent of the time raw chicken backs and necks for years. But living in an area with high tick infestation my rottweiler almost died on us twice and not from the lymes he now has, but from the Bartonella. Beware to all you dog owners, Bartonella is nasty. Since then his immune system still goes haywire at times, so my wife doesn't want the risk of some slightly tainted or compromised meat that a normal healthy dog could eat problem free. Sucks though for my healthy hunting dog, because she loses all the health benefits of the raw diet. So she now cooks them chicken gizzards, livers, chicken thighs legs what have you and always with some veggies and lately quinoa and both of them are super energetic.

Battue, says outside the burgh??? Which way on the compass? Where you out chasing ruffs? If so, here's to hoping better luck next time.

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
GB1

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
West of Pittsburgh in Murrysville and originally from the Kittanning area.

Yes after Ruffs. Their numbers around Kittanning-Armstrong Co-used to be considerable. 20-30 flushes per day were not uncommon. Unfortunately that is not the case these days. Best hunting is along the Northern tier and that involves a fair amount of driving from my home. Will see how the season unfolds, but the new Pup will get a lot of GL Pheasants at least.
Been in the low 70's here the last few days and a little to warm for the Dogs. Although it doesn't seem to bother the little guy all that much.

Little stiff from yesterdays tumble, but worked most of them out at the gym this AM. Really lucky in that I got to make one full circle. smile

Looks like I wasn't on top of it re: feeding and will make some changes.

Addition: ticks? We have an overpopulation. Sprayed the Dogs and my clothing. Bathed last night, but still ended up pulling one of my belly this AM. Will not be the first and need to get myself some doxycycline.

Last edited by battue; 10/20/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey battue,

Lick your wounds and get back out there. I'm glad to hear that you are o.k. and the spill won't interfere with hunting season.

Much of my family is from S.W. Pa. and I have never seen a tick up there. We have out fair share of ticks down here, and we always enjoy going up there and not worrying about ticks. I hate to hear that they are becoming a problem in your area.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Unfortunately next time up bring your tick spray and pay attention. From an April 2015 article in the Post Gazette.

"Every county in Pennsylvania now has blacklegged (deer) ticks inside its borders that carry the bacteria that causes Lyme disease, prompting warnings to avoid tick exposure and be alert to symptoms.

The small ticks that carry the Borrelia burgdorferi bacteria now are embedded in Western Pennsylvania, which was the last holdout, states a study published last week in the Journal of Medical Entomology and prepared by the state Department of Environmental Resources’ Vector Management Program and Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Statewide cases totaled 5,758 in 2013, with 1,122 cases in the southwest. That ranks second only to the southeast with 1,391 cases. The largest concentration of cases over the past five years has existed in an area including Armstrong, Butler, Clarion, Jefferson, Elk, Cameron and Clearfield counties. Allegheny County reported four cases or fewer in 2013 and only 10 cases in 2012.

[/b]For the past five years, Pennsylvania has reported the most Lyme disease cases nationwide.[b]The infection can cause fever, fatigue, headache, muscle aches and joint pain. The study says blacklegged ticks also can transmit the parasite causing Babesiosis, which can cause anemia and pote8ntially be fatal. Anaplasmosis, another blacklegged-tick-borne infection, causes fever, headache, chills and muscle aches, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states.

To avoid such infections, Acting State Physician General Rachel Levine advises people to wear protective clothing outdoors, use insect repellents and do a full-body check after being outside.

Correction, posted April 29, 2015. According to the Pennsylvania-based study, Allegheny County reported four or fewer cases of Lyme disease in 2013. An earlier version contained an incorrect number."

Last edited by battue; 10/20/15.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
West of Pittsburgh in Murrysville and originally from the Kittanning area.

Yes after Ruffs. Their numbers around Kittanning-Armstrong Co-used to be considerable. 20-30 flushes per day were not uncommon. Unfortunately that is not the case these days. Best hunting is along the Northern tier

Battue, I was born in the country outside of Smithton-crick hills area. Married a Mt. Girl from Acme area and we moved to Champion for many moons. Then we moved upto our camp and made a go of it for a few years. Camp was in Potter county, so I know all about Northern tier grouse hunting. I miss my old covers in McKean county, Potter, Cameron, Elk and Tioga counties.

I'd pick my covers back there over Colebrook, NH., Rangeley Maine or Jackman Maine. I lived and worked in Maine for two years and patroled pipeline there as a pipeline technician into New Hampshire and Vermont. I was responsible for 328 miles of it. Mostly a 24 inch high pressure mainline, but had a smaller side shoot to the coast. Was an awesome job and I'm sure Jackman or Colebrook could be phenomenal, but I flushed the same amount of birds there as I did back home in Pa. Plus, the covers there can be difficult and this is coming from a guy who grew up hunting in multi flora rose alot. Wasn't jaggers, it's just so dense.

I do want to try Minnesota Atleast once in my life and I'm definitely going to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan before I kick the bucket.

Battue the Laurel Highlands used to be loaded with grouse as well. It dried up long ago. You can find a smattering here and there at best. It's depressing, but keep into the wind man and good luck

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Battue, you probably already know this, but along with the spray, duct taping your pant legs around the ankles and around your sleeves of your long sleeve shirt is a smart tactic there. The ticks are the only thing I don't miss from back home.

My wife and I are in North Dakota now and have been trying to relocate to Montana for a short time now. I'm actually thinking Wyoming is the better option nowadays. It's a sleeper state and I'm more align with its politics as well. Excellent hunting and fishing, sweet tax laws and the nicest people out of all the states I've been in. The wife just had an interview Monday I n Cody and last week she had one in Kalispell, both preliminary phone interviews, but my fingers are crossed. I've never had the opportunity to hunt grouse inIdaho, Montana or Wyoming and I'm planning on changing that.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
ML, sounds like you have had an interesting journey from your roots here in Pa.

First off: Good luck in you and your wife finding work in an area you both desire to be.

Yes, Grouse are in pockets these days in Pa compared to the past. Not sure of the all of it, but when the Turkey moved in the Grouse always seemed to take a dive. GC says no, but I think they scratch up more than a few Grouse nests in their traveling. Then trapping has almost died out and the nest robbers have their way. Combine that with the Hawks and Owls becoming the glamour birds and our Grouse have a rough go of it. Some think the Avian virus is also taking a toil.

Best Grouse hunting I've had outside of Pa was two trips to Wisconsin. Birds were far from tame with the exception of some of the young Birds of the year. Then the word got out and with the third trip there were license plates from all over the country in the area we hunted. You could find Birds but they were way back in and as wild as any I've hunted.

Ticks are crazy here. Sit down during spring Turkey and you can start picking them off by the dozens. One time last fall I stopped back at the truck up in Forest Co and before it was over took 40 some off of Toby. With the med you place on their skin the majority fall off rather quickly, but you never get them all. Read an article recently were the Deer tick vs Dog tick used to be 1:4. Now it is 4:1.

The duct taping is a good idea, along with keeping your shirt tucked in. Hell I'm thinking of wearing a flee color around my own neck. Had a bite years ago that developed the characteristic rash and the Doc put me on doxycycline immediately. Some literature suggests to take a doxy 100mg capsule any day you are out as a prophylactic precaution. Supposedly reduces Lymes risk by 60-80 percent.

Have a friend who contacted Lymes and his facial nerves were affected along with nerves in his legs. Took a year to get him correctly diagnosed. Then it was a year on IV tetracycline. He is finally coming around.

Thanks for the encouragement, will make the best of it and again good luck in finding a place to settle in.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the best wishes.

I have had to take the meds a few times for ticks. I actually came down with beginning stages of some nasty [bleep] from bartonella. They didn't know if I got it from ticks themselves or myndog. He had it and it almost killed him. I used to pull them out all the time. When I found permethryn it was heaven sent. My father in law is n in the woods more than most men. He and I both were always lIke that, but he wins now being retired.

He actually got really sick two years ago and they misdiagnosed him in the beiginning, but he was hospitalized from lymes disease. Lymes disease is nasty and no joke I love most wildlife, but ticks are useless.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Battue, I will say living in southwestern pa. And northcentral, pa. And commuting back and forth for decades to camp I've noticed the huge difference in the woods. Not just flora and fauna, but the DCNR management practices as well. There is more cutting/forest rejuvenation up north.

Pole stage and mature forest plague the area where I'm from back home. Plus I can't tell you how many places I used to Hunt in my teens in the 80's that had wild grapes. Alot of those places got mowed down for housing plans or homes. To many people on the planet displacing grouse habitat dammit.....lol.

Seriously though, look at Seven Springs area, there used to be some decent grouse hunting there and immediate vicinity. Now look at all the housing plans and new homes. Plus, all that jazz ruined some of my trout fly fishing waters with the grouse hunting.

Those things and all the stuff you mentioned above they don't have a chance. Will see what happens to Maine in a few years. My brother in law saI'd the samething to me while up there. Hes lived there for twenty years now and before he said he had no turkeys around him and now they got piles around him and he did say when I was up there last time that the grouse around his house werent as plentiful as before.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Camped in the Maine North woods a couple of years back and hunted them. Found enough to make it interesting. I'd go back again, but none of my Buds want to do the living in a tent thing anymore.

Only bad thing in the Maine North woods was the drive by shooting that seems popular up that way. grin

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
One more thing, I'm pretty sure grouse and turkeys eat ticks. If I remember correctly. I remember asking my biology professor in college--what good are ti c KS. Him knowing I hunted both birds relayed that back to me. He might have been bulls hitting me....dunno. He and I became friends for awhile and hit a few fly fishing waters together. Needless to say, I Aced bio 1 and bio 2

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Camped in the Maine North woods a couple of years back and hunted them. Found enough to make it interesting. I'd go back again, but none of my Buds want to do the living in a tent thing anymore.

Only bad thing in the Maine North woods was the drive by shooting that seems popular up that way. grin

Man I'm looking at buying my first tipi now to use out west here.

Yep, there's some backwoods crazy Yankees up Der in dem woods.

Hell, southwestern pa has its share of outlaws as well. Look at Fayette county. The Fayette Cong roots run deep

Last edited by MolonLabe41; 10/21/15.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Fayette Cong, haven't heard that one for awhile, but obviously you also are familiar. The stories are the stuff of legend and if only half truth the GC had their hands full.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Laffin...Fayette is where my folks are from. Pretty country and interesting people.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Laffin...Fayette is where my folks are from. Pretty country and interesting people.

My uncle lives in Dunbar area and I used to Hunt sugarloaf and mT. Carmel area with him when I was a kid. Only a handful of times though, I liked my own hunting spots better.

Dunbar is a Fayette Cong stronghold; they're in deep there. There, abnormalville and White as well. They have their rules and regulations. Hunting laws of their choosing or should we say no laws

And we can't forget Banning and Dawson

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well better today....in some ways. grin

Put 6.5hours in and when it comes to hills, Michigan sure as hell isn't Pa. Anyway short story was 5 flushes and I had to miss an easy one that got up at my feet. He was in the thick pretty quick, but I should have had a Bird. Hot again and the Dogs took a beating. Put Toby in the car after 4. He was pounding the thick stuff and started to fade. The Little Guy lasted another two before he slowed down. Not bad for 8-9months.

Ticks? Everywhere and many. Took a couple breaks and I must have killed 20. Almost all the small Deer tick. Picked a couple off that I could feel crawling on the drive home. I hate them all.

All in all a good day considering.

As far as the Fayette Cong. Not much has been mentioned about them the last 5 years or so. I honestly think it was a relatively few back then that gained notoriety and then some started coping and it got a little out of hand. Truthfully you hear about very little of it going on today. Fact is where I'm from they had their share for many years. Some of which were family. Actually I hunt with a fellow that lives around Ohio Pyle. Great guy. He tells me some of the stories that were going around at one time, but actually nothing now for quite some time.

That area also has some great history from the time of the French and Indian wars. Washington escaped getting killed twice before we broke off from the Brits and he was a young Buck in the Brit army. Once at For Necessity, which was nothing more than a ring of slabs, and the French and Indians had them surrounded and out numbered. His good luck was it rained and every ones powder got wet and the French let them go. After they signed a promise not to fight again. Didn't work and they were lucky the French were there, because the Indians were ready to kill them all and would have.

A second time was when he was with General Braddock while they were carving their way thru the forest with a couple thousand men. They were strung out in a long line when the French/Indians hit them in the middle and killed over half of them. Washington was in the rear and missed the worst of it. Ugly fight it was and one not known by all that many today.

Dogs need brushed and all of us need de-ticked.

Last edited by battue; 10/22/15.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Well better today....in some ways. grin

Put 6.5hours in and when it comes to hills, Michigan sure as hell isn't Pa. Anyway short story was 5 flushes and I had to miss an easy one that got up at my feet. He was in the thick pretty quick, but I should have had a Bird. Hot again and the Dogs took a beating. Put Toby in the car after 4. He was pounding the thick stuff and started to fade. The Little Guy lasted another two before he slowed down. Not bad for 8-9months.

Ticks? Everywhere and many. Took a couple breaks and I must have killed 20. Almost all the small Deer tick. Picked a couple off that I could feel crawling on the drive home. I hate them all.

All in all a good day considering.

As far as the Fayette Cong. Not much has been mentioned about them the last 5 years or so. I honestly think it was a relatively few back then that gained notoriety and then some started coping and it got a little out of hand. Truthfully you hear about very little of it going on today. Fact is where I'm from they had their share for many years. Some of which were family. Actually I hunt with a fellow that lives around Ohio Pyle. Great guy. He tells me some of the stories that were going around at one time, but actually nothing now for quite some time.

That area also has some great history from the time of the French and Indian wars. Washington escaped getting killed twice before we broke off from the Brits and he was a young Buck in the Brit army. Once at For Necessity, which was nothing more than a ring of slabs, and the French and Indians had them surrounded and out numbered. His good luck was it rained and every ones powder got wet and the French let them go. After they signed a promise not to fight again. Didn't work and they were lucky the French were there, because the Indians were ready to kill them all and would have.

A second time was when he was with General Braddock while they were carving their way thru the forest with a couple thousand men. They were strung out in a long line when the French/Indians hit them in the middle and killed over half of them. Washington was in the rear and missed the worst of it. Ugly fight it was and one not known by all that many today.

Dogs need brushed and all of us need de-ticked.

Are you in Michigan hunting?

I used to live about a twenty minute ride from Ohio Pyle. Beautiful country around there.

I'm familiar with Fort Necessity history and General Braddocks.

Battue, have you ever gone there? How about Ligonier? I'm thinking so seeing your Avatar. Beautiful country. I miss the trees and trout waters. There's a whole host of tributaries, loaded with trout, flowing into Indian Creek, Laurel Hill, Castleman and Youghiogheny River. You ever do any fishing up those ways?

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Back in Pa.

Been to and past Ohio Pyle many times and shoot Sporting Clays not far away at Nemacolin. Used to date a girl from Ligonier and have a friend who used to hunt who lives there. Have stopped at Fort Necessity a couple times. No doubt some good country. Don't trout fish but have an acquaintance that takes people fly fishing who are staying at 7 Springs and he does well with them and on his own. He has been bugging me to go with him and meant to this summer, but never got around to it.

Don't know when you were to Ohio Pyle last, but it is constantly changing. White water rafting is big and these days bicycling. Gets pretty crowded on summer weekends.

One of my favorite views of Ohio Pyle was one winter when the falls were frozen over.

Here is a little blast from the past.

[Linked Image]

http://uncoveringpa.com/fort-necessity-national-battlefield

Last edited by battue; 10/22/15.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Nice. I was actually there visiting last summer, before that it was a few years. I've actually been in the bar for a brew and bite to eat. My f-i-l and I used to sneak upto four mile hole Atleast once a year via the bike trail. We would strap our fly rod tube holders to bike with mini coolers and bike in. Wed go early in the morning to beat the crowd. Mainly to fish before the river got bombarded with kayaks. Once they start coming down in large groups we'd leave. Usually stay until around 10am-noonish sometimes. You wouldn't believe the amount of rattlesnakes we saw along the trail early am being the first two knuckle heads up there.

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If the masses knew how plentiful they were, I bet it wouldn't be so packed along the trail.

Tight chains.

A=A

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 13 invisible), 1,579 guests, and 700 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.