Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My family is from southern Fayettte County. Hopwood, Fairchance, Oliphant Furnace, Uniontown, Farmington etc. We spend a lot of time "over the mountain" when we visit. I get the kids to Jumonville and Fort Necessity at least one a year. The kids love the interactive tour at Fort Necessity. Back in the 80s, my Grandma's paper boy went over the falls at Ohiopyle, and drowned. That is a pretty rough river in spots. I spent a lot of my summer vacations in SW Pa., with my Grandparents, and I am grateful for those times. There is no place like SW Pa.

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey Battue,

Sorry you didn't get a bird but I'm glad that Toby got some good work in. You boys have plenty of season left. It is hard to beat a good day with your dog!!!!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Should have, so my fault. Had two ticks hooked on and the Dogs had a couple each. Probably spent and hour getting them off of them the best I could and I'm sure there are some I missed. Who ever thunk you would not only come home and brush your Dog out, but also vacuum them off.

Oh for the old days. grin

Last edited by battue; 10/23/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Heads up for those who hunt with the ticks. It was hard to believe the number of ticks picked up on the last hunt. That evening I removed more than 20 from each Dog. This was with spraying them down first. Last night I removed another 20 plus from both of them combined.

Had a Vet appointment this afternoon for the little guy and he said to put on a Seresto collar in that he has found it to work the best. He lives in the country and has experimented with what works best on his Dogs and recommends the Seresto collar.

Also said that if you find a tick attached and engorged to give the Dog 3-5 days of doxycycline 100mg qd. Both Dogs got the Lyme vaccination.

Had three that were attached to myself. None of which had the chance to suck blood.

This is the worst I have seen it yet here in Pa and I thought last year was bad.

Last edited by battue; 10/27/15.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My doctor said they had to be attached to you for 48 hours. Anything less not to worry.

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
IC B2

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep the literature I've found at work says 36-48. I've had it once and supposedly caught it in time.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Same here. I've had more than my fair share of bullseyes and had to munch the antibiotics to many times for my m liking

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Bud and I went to a Pa Gamelands today to give the Dog a chance are some easier Birds. A good day in that we put up around 15-17 Birds in some really thick cover.

Merlot got some flushes and a few retrieves. One of which was a runner that he eventually had to dig out. His English Pointer had some really nice points.

Not the real deal, but good experience for a young Dog. Probably go to another one tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 10/29/15.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You are a lucky man, as you boys have a lot of great hunting ahead of you. My compliments on the picture. You might want to frame that one,

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Outstanding Battue congrats. That's a handsome pup for sure, I see great things in his future

Tight chains.

A=A

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just got caught up on this thread.. Nice rooster there.. We spent some time in Idaho and Wy. for birds.. Not much success, but saw quite a few in Idaho.. Man is that country rough.. To rough for my age.. But beautiful area..

Roosters don't open here til the 7th of Nov. May hunt whitetails opening weekend, and then move up for a weeks go at the roosters..

A great time of year.. Keep us posted on the hunts!!

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
An update: Merlot is coming on faster than I would have ever thunk. Out the other day and the two of us killed three Ringnecks. Bud has a good Pointer that gets out further than my flushers, but Toby pushed one out and Merlot four.

Today went by myself, hot at 70-71F. Put up 7 birds in 5 hours and Merlot had five of them. I'm beginning to think his nose is better than Toby's even at his early age. These Birds have been out a week and are catching on. Had one good shot and missed.

The heat was hard on 10 year old Toby, but the little guy never quit. Rest day for them tomorrow.

Good day.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey Battue,

I'm glad to hear that you are getting both of the boys out. I hunted my Golden into her 12th year. I worked her about five days a week so she was conditioned to it. You are a blessed soul to have two hunting dogs. Have fun with them for the rest of us.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks again Wilkes. Problem is in order to have the time to go as much, time has crept up on me. However, blessed I am no doubt.

Toby really did fine for his age. Combined with the fact he is a bull in the thick. I gave him a couple shade breaks and we spent some cooling time at a big lake at the finish, but he was going good at the end considering the heat.

His nose could be a little stronger, but he knows where they live and never hesitates to drop in.

Last edited by battue; 11/03/15.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Another pretty good day for the Little Guy and the Big Guy did fine also. Merlot is starting to go to his Birds with his head up and more aggressive. He has come far in a short time.

Flushed 14 Birds and each of us got two. Buds Dogs pointed his and Toby flushed one and Merlot another for myself. Along with making three retrieves.

Day of rain, then wind, then heat.

Wake-up call:

[Linked Image]

End of the day:

[Linked Image]

Team photo:

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great team there!! 28 ga.???

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5's. Both shots at around 25-30yards. The 28 continues to impress me.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I need to shoot mine more.. One of the slowest upland game seasons I have had for a while.. Keep knocking those roosters!!!!!!!

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Another gear report. I'm a boot guy and always looking for something that wears comfortable. Bud has a pair of these LL Bean Techno something and said they are worth it. Was hesitant, but he spends more than a little time in the upland following Bird Dogs. The reviews were ++++, so gave them a try.

First day out-for approx 6 hours-and they may be better than the Mendel LW's I wore in Michigan when it comes to comfort. Also easy on and easy off: press or pull and turn. Light weight and comfortable.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 11/06/15.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Grouse hunting week kinda had a curve thrown. First off was two days of beeeeg wind. Like power lines down and trees falling across the back roads wind. Not all that good for Grouse hunting so we went to the fields for Pheasants. Did fine and knocked down 14 Birds in two days.

Winds died down and the heat moved in. Killed a Grouse one day and had around 10-11 flushes. Next day was zaharoooo flushes. Last day we found a new spot and a Bud killed one Grouse and we finished up with 15 flushes for the day.

Today three of us went after Pheasants and ended up with six Birds. Toby made some nice retrieves and Merlot pushed at least three Birds out that we shot or shot at. Pretty good day.

[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,403
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.