Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The breeder Emily Williams named him Merlow and I thought that isn't going to work. But after a couple minutes at Delta cargo, I said it will do fine.

Getting a new pub to stand still is an interesting endeavor. grin

[Linked Image]

Poor Toby, I don't think this will be the last leg chewing he is going to endure.

[Linked Image]

About the best I can do at this point.

[Linked Image]

Took a flight up from Atlanta and a couple car rides in stride. Looks like little problems there.

He has settled in pretty quick, but there may be some tears tonight.

Last edited by battue; 07/14/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Where he was birthed. Ms Emily Williams is just a jewel of a lady.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Welcome to the 'Fire, Merlow. Hope you will like the grouse woods.

Cute little guy, like the markings, lots of white and the longish tail. I know he'll love a hunters home and hope he grows in to the job.

Maybe the Tobster can show him the ropes. How old is Toby now anyway?

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome!!! Puppies keep us and our older dogs young!!!

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
NB:

No I didn't see that particular issue, but from some Bird dog friends up here, I knew it was going on.

Had a roan who died young from Lymes. One of Ken Roebucks litters and yes that book is a good one. I'll be digging it out.

Toby is 10, but still has a lot of energy. He received his woods smarts from Abby by following her around, so I hope he returns the favor.

Just put him in the kennel to do a little contemplating on the big change that has occurred in his life.

WCH: Yes they do.!!!!

Last edited by battue; 07/14/15.

IC B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great pup battue, congrats!
Looks like that breeder and kennel are a gold standard.

Curious, he looks a bit older than the standard release?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks. Will see how it plays out. Always a little bit of roll of the dice.

Correct he is 4 months old. His colors are
not what most want and perhaps that is why he hung around.

Good part is she has done a little intro work with him, he is pretty much house broke and I can take him on some hunts this year.

Last edited by battue; 07/15/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice! Congrads! He's looking good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to listen to your first instinct and shorten that name to Merle ASAP.
Other than that,,, he's a keeper.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
From one spaniel man to another, nice pup, color does not make the dog, nice head good muzzle and stop, he'll do just fine, good luck enjoy.

BORN to HUNT
IC B3

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
FG,

I admit it's not much of a name for a hunting dog and I've already called him Merlo and Milo.

Problem is after 3 days Merlo is starting to roll off my tongue.

Heck if he doesn't mind, I don't either.

Last edited by battue; 07/17/15.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great looking pup. I love the colors.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Very nice! battue you kill me with your cockers. Really makes me miss my Boykin. Maybe an English Cocker will be next. Congrats on the pup!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks to all for the well wishes. We are getting to know each other and he has settled in pretty good. Only concern presently is he doesn't seem all that fond of Yankee food. grin I would like to see him hit the food bowl a little harder.

Hasn't chewed up anything major yet, with the exception of the one day when I was on the computer and all of a sudden I couldn't connect. Hmmmmm, Hmmmmm. Chewing? Look down and he had my Earth Net cable in shreds. I thought he was working on his bone.

Likes to bring me things. Socks, shoes, under ware. "Hey you looking for these things?"

Thanks again and finally a pic that I got with him standing kinda still.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Keep is posted with some photos..

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Been awhile so it is fun to try and figure out a puppies mind.

Cool to watch him standing still, contemplating something only he knows and then instantly break into a full bore couple circle run around the yard. Perhaps stumble, do a chest slide, gather his feet and mash the peddle again. Then put on the breaks and go back to contemplating.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
That is a great looking pup! Congrats again!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SWEET pup!!! I've thought about getting an English cocker in the past. Please keep us posted on his progress. I have only seen one work (local spaniel club was working Springers on some state land with some planted pheasants....one fellow had a black EC.) He (the E.C.) did a great job.
Also, thanks for the info on Kinchafoonee kennels.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
An English Cocker won The Canadian National a few years back. They are great little dogs, my first couple of spaniels as a kid were E/Cs.

BORN to HUNT
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by FoxtonGundogs
An English Cocker won The Canadian National a few years back. They are great little dogs, my first couple of spaniels as a kid were E/Cs.

For the Spaniel Guys, a little Spaniel FT history:

That FBECS was CNFC/FC Warrener's California Quail, recently deceased and inducted into the HOF. Owned, trained and handled by Paul and Vicky McGagh (Glencoe Farms) of ND and CA. Storm won the CNC over 86 ESS on that historic day. Impossibly long odds against dogs that are bigger, stronger and faster, esp in heavy cover. And judged by Springer judges. Glencoe recently celebrated their 73rd FC title, both Cockers and Springers. Tom Ness has also done some winning with his Cockers up in Canada.

Our Rocky came from Glencoe. One of the most natural bird dogs we've every had. Storm was his granddaddy.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great Post, thanks NB.I believe that was either the year before or after my old male "Tank's"(the L/W in my avatar) sire "Bud" won the Nat. making it either '03 or '05 but I could be wrong.

BORN to HUNT
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
"Hey, there are some really big Dogs in my yard. You best do something about it, before I have to kick some serious azz!!!!"

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm lovin' this thread!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
kcl Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Awesome pic Harry!! Can't wait to see him!

Go hard or go Home!!!
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Took him out for a wood run last night. Hot and tried to keep him out of the low places, but somehow he found a mud hole to wallow in. And he is definitely signed off on wallowing. Got it down almost perfectly

Guess who came home with poison something?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey battue,

Will he see any action this fall? Also, have you tried any water retrieves with him? I know he is primarily a flusher/retriever but I bet he would make a water dog as well. I am glad to hear that you two are having fun.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Wilkes,

Thanks and yes he is going to have some field time in that he will be 8months old come hunting season.

Toby has slowed down since last year, but he is big for a Cocker. Much like a stout Springer and it has worn on him.

Besides day trips, four of us-the other three pointer Men-rent a cabin up North for a week and spend the time hunting Grouse and hitting the Game Lands for stocked Pheasant. So Merlo should get into a lot of stocked Birds at minimum.

As an aside, Toby is trained to hup-or stop on a whistle-when a Pointers beeper goes off and he doesn't mess up their points. Merlo will have an early problem with that but we will work him into it.

On of the guys also raises a bunch of Quail to train his Dogs on, so Merlo will get to fool with them before the season.

Then three three of us are heading to Michigan for a week and usually get into a fair amount of Woodcock which should be great for a young Dog. Not sure exactly where we are going. One guy cancelled out this year and I was offered the chance to go.

Last week on a friends farm there is a pond and Merlo was jumping in and retrieving sticks. Toby was along and when he saw him going in, it took about 30minutes and he took the plunge. Fun to watch. I have it on my cell phone, but as of now haven't figured out how to upload it onto Google or Youtube and transfer it to here.

Lord willing, if things work out it should be a fun year.

I think you need another Boykin or start looking at a Cocker. grin

Last edited by battue; 08/09/15.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
It looks like Merlo has a heck of a season coming up. As you know, this is where some incredible memories are made.

I lived in western Michigan for three years and we ran into a lot of Woodcock in the areas north of Baldwin. Lots of Grouse there too. This hunting is flat and very easy compared to southwest Pennsylvania.

If you put in some effort with the water training you will have a duck dog too. Get him a Neoprene vest, and yes they make them for dogs his size. With him having fun retrieving sticks, you have the fundamentals of what you need. Keep him away from hazards and rough shoreline until he gets older and has a few birds to his credit.

You are right on the Boykin or Cocker. The desire to have another never leaves me. Right now we have four dogs, three of which are rescues, so a hunting dog is out of the question at this point. I hope to get one for my kids to train in a few years.

You boys have a blast this season!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
First water retrieve!!!! Huuuuhaaaa laugh

Burning up the wheat. Have to look close.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
Been awhile so it is fun to try and figure out a puppies mind.

Cool to watch him standing still, contemplating something only he knows and then instantly break into a full bore couple circle run around the yard. Perhaps stumble, do a chest slide, gather his feet and mash the peddle again. Then put on the breaks and go back to contemplating.

Thanks Battue, for posting the pics, the videos, and the narrative. Way cool. From the looks of that first water retrieve he looks to be a water lover. No problem should a bird end up in a ditch.

We whippet folks call what you described and I highlighted "the zoomies". Whippets be really good at them! Now if only a guy could train them to hold instead of chasing stuff down. confused

I have to remember to come back to this part of the forum more often.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good stuff.

Please keep 'em coming.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hey, Battue; our extended family may be related?
I had been talking to Emily about a pup and went down to see her facility and dogs. She did not have a litter at the time but suggested I visit a friend of hers that had a litter from two dogs out of Kinchafoonee. Well you know what happens when you take your wife to look at pups; this is Abbey at 4 months. She is now a 9 month old Roan and 30 lbs of muscle and energy. I will get you a more current pic, but don't want to hijack your thread.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 08/20/15.
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Cruiser,

Feel free to chyme in with pics of your Dog. For sure, no problem on this end. It is all good.

It sure looks like they may have some common blood flowing.

Merlot finally decided it would be a good idea to start eating Yankee food and is now up around 23pounds. Would like to get some more muscle on him before the season starts.

With past Springer and Cocker pups they were content to follow the veteran around and learn the ropes. Not this guy.
He gets out on his own. Came around a bend in a field the other day and I caught him hitting the gas. Next thing I knew it was a race to the woodline with a Groundhog.

They can put a hurt on a Dog that doesn't know the game and Merlot hasn't picked that up yet. He caught the Hog right before the wood and rolled him while I was trying to get there. The Hog decided to stand his ground and Merlot hesitated. At which time the Hog made his escape into the wood and I got a hold of him. At this stage I think Merlot would have come out on the short end, so all worked out for the best.

Would really enjoy hearing about you Dog.

Last edited by battue; 08/20/15.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What a gorgeous little puppy you have there, Battue!
I watched the video, I've hunted over a lot of dogs but never an English Cocker that can remember.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome.. Missed much of this when we were camping and no internet service..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Battue, beauty pup!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks again to all.

Great thing he is starting to listen better with each day.

Then his nose is beginning to come alive. Just tonight a rabbit ran thru the yard and into the wood. He crossed the track, jerked his head and did a 90 into the brush.

Friends raised Quail will be coming up shortly.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Battue, What a great pup, English Cocker's are wonderful dogs, I have had the pleasure of hunting with some great dogs in my lifetime of all breeds, but the English Cocker, is special bird dog and friend.
I wish you good times with Merlow, and great hunting. Rio7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you guys sure those aren't miniature Llewellins?? confused confused

GREAT looking pups, both of them! cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Your right, they do have that kind of coloration. She was almost solid white except head and butt patch when I got her. People are always asking me what kind of dog she is; Abbey at 9 months:

[Linked Image]

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice and glad you posted the pic.

I'd be willing to bet the two have a good amount of common blood.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Your right, they do have that kind of coloration. She was almost solid white except head and butt patch when I got her. People are always asking me what kind of dog she is; Abbey at 9 months:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Before some Brit breeder shrunk the setter and said "ain't that a Corker!". laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
With English Cockers you never know what colors will pop out. Toby is all black with one white paw.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Just came back from an hour training run and what I previously knew but forgot is that Dogs learn on their off days.

Stopped-took a couple steps, but that is OK-on the whistle. Took hand signals, along with a couple pips, to come across in front. Came when called on the whistle. Stayed pretty much within 30 yards, but stopped and waited on the whistle if he pushed out.

Definitely not perfect, but it was a good run.

Last edited by battue; 08/26/15.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The Pup was taken up to a Buds place where he trains his Pointers. First couple plants he did ok, then we put him back in the kennel to let him think about it for awhile. This was his fourth plant when we let him back out.

Pretty good first day for the young guy.

One of Gary's Pointers. This boy has a nose and was just slamming into his points. And when he locked up there was no doubt about it.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds like thinks are going well new pups are fun and loveable.. I enjoy seeing them.. Thanks.

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There is nothing like a well put together pointer locked up on a bird!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Merlot got his first taste of feathers. Very few Doves here right now, but tonight we knocked down two. First one he didn't see fall, but took him to the area and he sniffed it out. Second was up high and he saw it all happen. Went straight to the fall.

Retrieve wasn't pretty and he had to play with the Birds for a bit, but eventually he brought them in. He'll get it.

Last edited by battue; 09/24/15.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds great!!! Hope he gets into lots of birds this fall..

Molon Labe
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Merlot got his first taste of feathers. Very few Doves here right now, but tonight we knocked down two. First one he didn't see fall, but took him to the area and he sniffed it out. Second was up high and he saw it all happen. Went straight to the fall.

Retrieve wasn't pretty and he had to play with the Birds for a bit, but eventually he brought them in. He'll get it.

All right!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Shot sporting most of the afternoon and arrived home around 5:30 and thought let's get a quick 45minutes in. 30minutes later a few passed by and these two came down. Two real nice 40 yard or so buried finds and returns from some thick green weed fields.

The little squirt is coming along. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 09/26/15.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Successful small hunts really build confidence in a young dog. Great timing on those doves going into season. It is good to see that he is progressing, and you two having fun!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, Glad you and your pup are having such fun.. Beautiful little friend there and a good hunter to boot..

Molon Labe
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Exquisite, thanks for the update.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for the comments.

We had a little problem with him wanting to munch on the Birds a little too much the first two days and we had a little talk about it.

Pretty much ignored him last night, but today he was gentle with them. That and I made sure he had a full belly before we went out. grin

Addition: Next day out Toby needs a turn. He has been patient.

Farmer is just starting to cut his corn. It's not long until there will be a couple hundred Doves flying around.

Last edited by battue; 09/26/15.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Doves are a great training ground for other birds. I have the hunter in mind with this comment as well.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree, and a good Dog will train a hunter quicker then the hunter will learn on his own. If the hunter is willing to pay attention. Sometimes it is wise to follow the Dog than have him follow you.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Good looking pup

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Agree, and a good Dog will train a hunter quicker then the hunter will learn on his own. If the hunter is willing to pay attention. Sometimes it is wise to follow the Dog than have him follow you.

True dat.

I thought I was training my first dog, but after a couple of seasons I figured it out. Every dog since has been a training partner from the get-go.

Merlo looks like a winner!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Battue, looks like a great dog. As a retired Spaniel Hunt Test Judge, I have a great love for the EC's. I'm a about a 80/20 waterfowl/upland hunter and have been running AWS and GWHP the past years. I've seen EC's do some great water work and am starting to think seriously about one for my next dog as I hunt a lot of smaller waters for puddle ducks only.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
He and Toby will be on the way to Mich tomorrow for a Grouse/Woodcock training camp.

FBEC have a reputation for having a mischievous/independent nature and two of the three I've had fit the definition.
To paraphrase a quote from Keith Erlandson: "When the devil comes to earth to do a little gunning, he brings with him two jet black cockers with burning coals for eyes." He also said something along the line of, "They will pick your pocket while smiling into your face."

Toby on the other hand was the easiest Dog to train. A little repetition along with a raised voice when needed and it was pretty much over. He is a big boned/heavily muscled Cocker and can take some serious cold. Merlot, while being insane fast, has a thin coat and looks like he will be much leaner. I'm not yet sure how he will handle cold.

Last edited by battue; 10/09/15.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey Battue,

You can get a neoprene vest for an English Cocker, if you didn't know.

You boys have a great hunt. I lived in Michigan in the late 80s, and back then, the northern part of the state was covered up with Grouse and Woodcock. I hope it still is. Let us know how you do.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Have considered that. Will see just how much he fills out and decide.

Not sure if they are still covered up, but last year they were into enough to make it worthwhile. One guy backed out, so it's just the two of us and 7 Dogs. Should be interesting if nothing else. 😀

Bags are packed, camera is charged, will see what the week brings. Doubt if we will have reliable internet service, so don't hold your breath. 👍

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
He and Toby will be on the way to Mich tomorrow for a Grouse/Woodcock training camp.

FBEC have a reputation for having a mischievous/independent nature and two of the three I've had fit the definition.
To paraphrase a quote from Keith Erlandson: "When the devil comes to earth to do a little gunning, he brings with him two jet black cockers with burning coals for eyes." He also said something along the line of, "They will pick your pocket while smiling into your face."

Toby on the other hand was the easiest Dog to train. A little repetition along with a raised voice when needed and it was pretty much over. He is a big boned/heavily muscled Cocker and can take some serious cold. Merlot, while being insane fast, has a thin coat and looks like he will be much leaner. I'm not yet sure how he will handle cold.

Hey battue,

Great Minds run along the very same tracks.

My longtime bird hunting partner and I, along with our respective War Departments, are leaving for 'da UP @ 0 Dark Thirty next Tuesday morning. It will be a little bird hunting/ color tours/antiquing/ restaurant visiting vacation for us. We are both firmly in the seasoned citizen camp nowadays, so probably won't be hunting 10 hrs a day. Dog power will be provided by my brace of FBECS, Scout and Rocky, nine and ten YO nowadays.

There is a Spaniel Camp ongoing right now in 'da Western UP. Reliable reports from the field are that "wc are down a little, and grouse about the same" as last year. We are right at the bottom of the grouse cycle. The weather here in Michigan was horrible, which is to say very rainy and cold, during the grouse hatching time frame this spring. Leaf fall is two + weeks late this year. Sorry. OTOH, the long term weather projections for next week, look excellent for bird hunting.

LUV the quotes from Keith Erlandson. Here's another one: "You can tell a Springer what to do, but you have to ask a Cocker." You definately need a good sense of humor if you are owned by a hunting Cocker. cool

Good Luck in Michigan. I will file a report if anything exciting happens this time around.

NB

NRA Life Member
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Nat, you put a curse on me. grin

Final loading up of the truck and I let him out. Up until now Deer were something to bark at. Not this AM, one look and he took off. Found him in 30minutes or so on his way back out of the wood. Covered in briers, soaking wet and I think kinda glad to see me. Either that or there is a dead Deer down there.

Something else I have to work on.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Nat, you put a curse on me. grin

Final loading up of the truck and I let him out. Up until now Deer were something to bark at. Not this AM, one look and he took off. Found him in 30minutes or so on his way back out of the wood. Covered in briers, soaking wet and I think kinda glad to see me. Either that or there is a dead Deer down there.

Something else I have to work on.

Sorry, sorry, so sorry............ Geeeeze........

GLAD you got the little bugger back from his morning run unscathed. As you know, no doubt, field Cockers are uuummmmmm......... "impulsive." eek Ya' need a real good sense of humor.

Hope all else goes swimmingly. SAFE TRAVELS to Meeeechigan.

NB

NRA Life Member
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The Michigan trip is history and a pretty fine week it was.

Hot the first two days, but each day produced 30plus Woodcock flushes and points along with a few Grouse. Third night a cold front moved in and the Woodcock with it, which gave way to a 50plus count. Next day they were still there and again 40plus. Stayed cool and some of the Birds headed south on Thursday, but still good for 30plus. Friday was a repeat, but with high winds that made hearing Birds difficult and with the thick cover you would often only have a quick glimpse and they were gone. Actually most times that was all you got. Saturday was a half days hunt before heading home and still produced 20 plus Woodcock along with 10 Grouse flushes.

Altogether over 200 Woodcock flushes and around 15 for Grouse. As mentioned it was a training hunt for the Dogs so we didn't shoot all that much. Planned on shooting a bunch on Friday, but the high winds made hearing them get up difficult and you would most times see them too late to get on target.

Merlot got a lot of work and switched off between covers with Toby. He ran out of gas on Wednesday and had a day off Thursday, but was back on for Friday and Saturday.

Some highlights:

Arrived late on Saturday night and spent the night in the truck at this location off the beaten path. It was a long cramped night.cry The morning chain gang.

[Linked Image]

Toby and Merlot casing the joint.

[Linked Image]

An inside look.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 10/17/15.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
To prove we did actually do some shooting. Merlot's first Woodcock and moving out of the minors; his first Grouse.
Found them and made a couple short retrieves.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Another Woodcock he worked on Friday.

[Linked Image]

Ran into this girl and pretty nice Bull with a bunch of other ladies he was herding around with a lot of bellowing.

[Linked Image]

A really great week that seemed to go by much too fast.

Last edited by battue; 10/17/15.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Sound advice.

A few posts up I see you said you now feed him before hunting.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I thought you weren't supposed to feed them right before hunting/running them. Simply asking because this was what I was taught and have read elsewhere. Has the flipped/inverted stomach thing been debunked?

Congratulations on the grouse; never a bad day afield with dog and bird in hand.

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Will have to let one of the Vets comment on the inverted stomach problem. When hunting I definitely give them a good feed in the evening. As far as the morning goes I give them a little. I know I do better if I have something to eat before going out. I also give them a little something during the middle of the day.

Both Dogs were burning up the calories during the hunt. Toby just bulls his way thru the cover. "Hey that looks like a place a Bird should be. Let's crash his party." The little guy is quick and fast, but squirms his way over, under and around.

Would be interested in any Vets knowledge on feeding.

Last edited by battue; 10/18/15.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, just caught up on this thread.. Great photos from your Mich. trip. Looks like the 28 got some use!!
Did you go to the UP? My wife is from the straits area, but south of the bridge.. I have hunted grouse there a bit.. As I get older I like hunting the prairies more than heavy cover.. Looks like you have an awesome brace of pals there.. Have a good fall.. Things should just be kicking of in Pa. We are plotting a little trip to Idaho for birds.. Just to see what we can find.. Will miss some elk season, but birds and dogs are 10 times more fun than elk..
Plus We still have elk and moose from last fall.. Looking forward to more stories and pics.. Have a good one..

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Hazen,

First off, congrats on the new pup. Wishing the two of you the best of times together along with good luck in Idaho.

No, we were in the LP around Atlanta and while it is flat it certainly is thick. We had more than a little wind for all days but two and the Dogs would either flush or point birds and you couldn't hear them all that often. Many came out of your peripheral and were gone.

I did use the Model 12 16Ga on the Grouse, but the Ithaca 37 28Ga is so much quicker in the thick.

A little gear review. To the consternation of the Cabela's Mendel haters I picked up a pair of their Ultralight hunting boots. Wore them for 6 days straight and they may be the most comfortable upland/early season Deer boot I've ever had. Best buy a second pair before they are discontinued. As you know that country is wet and they sucked it up for the entire trip, but none made it inside.

[Linked Image]

Second would be a "Mud River" handlers bag. Guy I went with not only hunts but is a serious field trailer and had one. You can get a considerable amount of gear in this bag and it has a lot of side pockets. Nice to have and keep in the truck to keep a lot of things in one place. Right now it is filled with light rain gear, extra socks, electronic collars, 2 boxes of shells, extra shirt, alcohol wipes, extra gloves, flashlight, batteries and there is room for more along with empty pockets for more.

They make quality gear. I have one of their back seat blankets that hang from the headrests for the Dogs. It has taken a beating and is none the worse.

[Linked Image]

Had a coupon for the boots and they gave me another that I used on the bag.

Please keep us up to date on your hunts.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks will do.. I believe you mentioned Atlanta before now that I think of it..

Looks like some good gear there.. Good stuff that suits ones needs is tough to find, and as you say they will quit making it almost immediately..

I have been packing my 28 for a bit, but no shots so far..

Have a good one...

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yeah Battue, I always load them up with calories day before I will be Hu ting. I read from a gun writer article years ago in either field and stream or outdoor life can't remember and it was the samething I heard from an old timer from my neck of the woods.

I too would like to hear a vets take on it. Hell, I'll have my wife call ours from back home in Pa. Tomorrow. I would like to hear from other vets as well. More input the better

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
All this talk about 28 and I might have to take the plunge. I've been kicking the idea around between these ears for awhile now. I love the veloce for ruffs though.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
On Grouse and Woodcock the 28 seems to work as well as the larger choices. Have also used it on stocked Pheasants and again it does fine. Never had the opportunity to use it on wild birds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
battue,

so nice to see you, Toby, and Merlot are off to a wonderful season in the woods.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Battue, my wife basically told me to pound salt in a not so direct kinda way. Told me to call her and I was swamped all day at work and will be all week. Maybe somebody in the know will comment here.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Today:

Started off with going out for an afternoon hunt. Half way down the steps the little guy ran between my feet with the expected result. Got the hands out and did an off kilter front roll. Wonderful eh. smile Only smiling because everything was intact at the bottom. Knee took a thump, but it should be all right.

Then hunted 3 hours without a flush. No so wonderful. frown But eh, all arrived home intact. Could have been better or it could have been worse. Good day I'm thinking.

Looked around and found this.

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article/feeding-the-hardworking-hunting-dog-Page1.htm

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Better luck next hunt!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Today:

Started off with going out for an afternoon hunt. Half way down the steps the little guy ran between my feet with the expected result. Got the hands out and did an off kilter front roll. Wonderful eh. smile Only smiling because everything was intact at the bottom. Knee took a thump, but it should be all right.

Then hunted 3 hours without a flush. No so wonderful. frown But eh, all arrived home intact. Could have been better or it could have been worse. Good day I'm thinking.

Looked around and found this.

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Article/feeding-the-hardworking-hunting-dog-Page1.htm

Sorry to hear about your almost catastrophic day today. I'm on my tablet and don't know if that is why I can't view both pages of the link you posted. I did read one page about the 26g of protein. I feed my dogs call of the wild as a supplement nowadays, wife switched them to 95 percent of the time raw chicken backs and necks for years. But living in an area with high tick infestation my rottweiler almost died on us twice and not from the lymes he now has, but from the Bartonella. Beware to all you dog owners, Bartonella is nasty. Since then his immune system still goes haywire at times, so my wife doesn't want the risk of some slightly tainted or compromised meat that a normal healthy dog could eat problem free. Sucks though for my healthy hunting dog, because she loses all the health benefits of the raw diet. So she now cooks them chicken gizzards, livers, chicken thighs legs what have you and always with some veggies and lately quinoa and both of them are super energetic.

Battue, says outside the burgh??? Which way on the compass? Where you out chasing ruffs? If so, here's to hoping better luck next time.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
West of Pittsburgh in Murrysville and originally from the Kittanning area.

Yes after Ruffs. Their numbers around Kittanning-Armstrong Co-used to be considerable. 20-30 flushes per day were not uncommon. Unfortunately that is not the case these days. Best hunting is along the Northern tier and that involves a fair amount of driving from my home. Will see how the season unfolds, but the new Pup will get a lot of GL Pheasants at least.
Been in the low 70's here the last few days and a little to warm for the Dogs. Although it doesn't seem to bother the little guy all that much.

Little stiff from yesterdays tumble, but worked most of them out at the gym this AM. Really lucky in that I got to make one full circle. smile

Looks like I wasn't on top of it re: feeding and will make some changes.

Addition: ticks? We have an overpopulation. Sprayed the Dogs and my clothing. Bathed last night, but still ended up pulling one of my belly this AM. Will not be the first and need to get myself some doxycycline.

Last edited by battue; 10/20/15.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey battue,

Lick your wounds and get back out there. I'm glad to hear that you are o.k. and the spill won't interfere with hunting season.

Much of my family is from S.W. Pa. and I have never seen a tick up there. We have out fair share of ticks down here, and we always enjoy going up there and not worrying about ticks. I hate to hear that they are becoming a problem in your area.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Unfortunately next time up bring your tick spray and pay attention. From an April 2015 article in the Post Gazette.

"Every county in Pennsylvania now has blacklegged (deer) ticks inside its borders that carry the bacteria that causes Lyme disease, prompting warnings to avoid tick exposure and be alert to symptoms.

The small ticks that carry the Borrelia burgdorferi bacteria now are embedded in Western Pennsylvania, which was the last holdout, states a study published last week in the Journal of Medical Entomology and prepared by the state Department of Environmental Resources’ Vector Management Program and Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Statewide cases totaled 5,758 in 2013, with 1,122 cases in the southwest. That ranks second only to the southeast with 1,391 cases. The largest concentration of cases over the past five years has existed in an area including Armstrong, Butler, Clarion, Jefferson, Elk, Cameron and Clearfield counties. Allegheny County reported four cases or fewer in 2013 and only 10 cases in 2012.

[/b]For the past five years, Pennsylvania has reported the most Lyme disease cases nationwide.[b]The infection can cause fever, fatigue, headache, muscle aches and joint pain. The study says blacklegged ticks also can transmit the parasite causing Babesiosis, which can cause anemia and pote8ntially be fatal. Anaplasmosis, another blacklegged-tick-borne infection, causes fever, headache, chills and muscle aches, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states.

To avoid such infections, Acting State Physician General Rachel Levine advises people to wear protective clothing outdoors, use insect repellents and do a full-body check after being outside.

Correction, posted April 29, 2015. According to the Pennsylvania-based study, Allegheny County reported four or fewer cases of Lyme disease in 2013. An earlier version contained an incorrect number."

Last edited by battue; 10/20/15.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
West of Pittsburgh in Murrysville and originally from the Kittanning area.

Yes after Ruffs. Their numbers around Kittanning-Armstrong Co-used to be considerable. 20-30 flushes per day were not uncommon. Unfortunately that is not the case these days. Best hunting is along the Northern tier

Battue, I was born in the country outside of Smithton-crick hills area. Married a Mt. Girl from Acme area and we moved to Champion for many moons. Then we moved upto our camp and made a go of it for a few years. Camp was in Potter county, so I know all about Northern tier grouse hunting. I miss my old covers in McKean county, Potter, Cameron, Elk and Tioga counties.

I'd pick my covers back there over Colebrook, NH., Rangeley Maine or Jackman Maine. I lived and worked in Maine for two years and patroled pipeline there as a pipeline technician into New Hampshire and Vermont. I was responsible for 328 miles of it. Mostly a 24 inch high pressure mainline, but had a smaller side shoot to the coast. Was an awesome job and I'm sure Jackman or Colebrook could be phenomenal, but I flushed the same amount of birds there as I did back home in Pa. Plus, the covers there can be difficult and this is coming from a guy who grew up hunting in multi flora rose alot. Wasn't jaggers, it's just so dense.

I do want to try Minnesota Atleast once in my life and I'm definitely going to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan before I kick the bucket.

Battue the Laurel Highlands used to be loaded with grouse as well. It dried up long ago. You can find a smattering here and there at best. It's depressing, but keep into the wind man and good luck

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Battue, you probably already know this, but along with the spray, duct taping your pant legs around the ankles and around your sleeves of your long sleeve shirt is a smart tactic there. The ticks are the only thing I don't miss from back home.

My wife and I are in North Dakota now and have been trying to relocate to Montana for a short time now. I'm actually thinking Wyoming is the better option nowadays. It's a sleeper state and I'm more align with its politics as well. Excellent hunting and fishing, sweet tax laws and the nicest people out of all the states I've been in. The wife just had an interview Monday I n Cody and last week she had one in Kalispell, both preliminary phone interviews, but my fingers are crossed. I've never had the opportunity to hunt grouse inIdaho, Montana or Wyoming and I'm planning on changing that.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
ML, sounds like you have had an interesting journey from your roots here in Pa.

First off: Good luck in you and your wife finding work in an area you both desire to be.

Yes, Grouse are in pockets these days in Pa compared to the past. Not sure of the all of it, but when the Turkey moved in the Grouse always seemed to take a dive. GC says no, but I think they scratch up more than a few Grouse nests in their traveling. Then trapping has almost died out and the nest robbers have their way. Combine that with the Hawks and Owls becoming the glamour birds and our Grouse have a rough go of it. Some think the Avian virus is also taking a toil.

Best Grouse hunting I've had outside of Pa was two trips to Wisconsin. Birds were far from tame with the exception of some of the young Birds of the year. Then the word got out and with the third trip there were license plates from all over the country in the area we hunted. You could find Birds but they were way back in and as wild as any I've hunted.

Ticks are crazy here. Sit down during spring Turkey and you can start picking them off by the dozens. One time last fall I stopped back at the truck up in Forest Co and before it was over took 40 some off of Toby. With the med you place on their skin the majority fall off rather quickly, but you never get them all. Read an article recently were the Deer tick vs Dog tick used to be 1:4. Now it is 4:1.

The duct taping is a good idea, along with keeping your shirt tucked in. Hell I'm thinking of wearing a flee color around my own neck. Had a bite years ago that developed the characteristic rash and the Doc put me on doxycycline immediately. Some literature suggests to take a doxy 100mg capsule any day you are out as a prophylactic precaution. Supposedly reduces Lymes risk by 60-80 percent.

Have a friend who contacted Lymes and his facial nerves were affected along with nerves in his legs. Took a year to get him correctly diagnosed. Then it was a year on IV tetracycline. He is finally coming around.

Thanks for the encouragement, will make the best of it and again good luck in finding a place to settle in.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the best wishes.

I have had to take the meds a few times for ticks. I actually came down with beginning stages of some nasty [bleep] from bartonella. They didn't know if I got it from ticks themselves or myndog. He had it and it almost killed him. I used to pull them out all the time. When I found permethryn it was heaven sent. My father in law is n in the woods more than most men. He and I both were always lIke that, but he wins now being retired.

He actually got really sick two years ago and they misdiagnosed him in the beiginning, but he was hospitalized from lymes disease. Lymes disease is nasty and no joke I love most wildlife, but ticks are useless.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Battue, I will say living in southwestern pa. And northcentral, pa. And commuting back and forth for decades to camp I've noticed the huge difference in the woods. Not just flora and fauna, but the DCNR management practices as well. There is more cutting/forest rejuvenation up north.

Pole stage and mature forest plague the area where I'm from back home. Plus I can't tell you how many places I used to Hunt in my teens in the 80's that had wild grapes. Alot of those places got mowed down for housing plans or homes. To many people on the planet displacing grouse habitat dammit.....lol.

Seriously though, look at Seven Springs area, there used to be some decent grouse hunting there and immediate vicinity. Now look at all the housing plans and new homes. Plus, all that jazz ruined some of my trout fly fishing waters with the grouse hunting.

Those things and all the stuff you mentioned above they don't have a chance. Will see what happens to Maine in a few years. My brother in law saI'd the samething to me while up there. Hes lived there for twenty years now and before he said he had no turkeys around him and now they got piles around him and he did say when I was up there last time that the grouse around his house werent as plentiful as before.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Camped in the Maine North woods a couple of years back and hunted them. Found enough to make it interesting. I'd go back again, but none of my Buds want to do the living in a tent thing anymore.

Only bad thing in the Maine North woods was the drive by shooting that seems popular up that way. grin

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
One more thing, I'm pretty sure grouse and turkeys eat ticks. If I remember correctly. I remember asking my biology professor in college--what good are ti c KS. Him knowing I hunted both birds relayed that back to me. He might have been bulls hitting me....dunno. He and I became friends for awhile and hit a few fly fishing waters together. Needless to say, I Aced bio 1 and bio 2

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Camped in the Maine North woods a couple of years back and hunted them. Found enough to make it interesting. I'd go back again, but none of my Buds want to do the living in a tent thing anymore.

Only bad thing in the Maine North woods was the drive by shooting that seems popular up that way. grin

Man I'm looking at buying my first tipi now to use out west here.

Yep, there's some backwoods crazy Yankees up Der in dem woods.

Hell, southwestern pa has its share of outlaws as well. Look at Fayette county. The Fayette Cong roots run deep

Last edited by MolonLabe41; 10/21/15.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Fayette Cong, haven't heard that one for awhile, but obviously you also are familiar. The stories are the stuff of legend and if only half truth the GC had their hands full.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Laffin...Fayette is where my folks are from. Pretty country and interesting people.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Laffin...Fayette is where my folks are from. Pretty country and interesting people.

My uncle lives in Dunbar area and I used to Hunt sugarloaf and mT. Carmel area with him when I was a kid. Only a handful of times though, I liked my own hunting spots better.

Dunbar is a Fayette Cong stronghold; they're in deep there. There, abnormalville and White as well. They have their rules and regulations. Hunting laws of their choosing or should we say no laws

And we can't forget Banning and Dawson

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Well better today....in some ways. grin

Put 6.5hours in and when it comes to hills, Michigan sure as hell isn't Pa. Anyway short story was 5 flushes and I had to miss an easy one that got up at my feet. He was in the thick pretty quick, but I should have had a Bird. Hot again and the Dogs took a beating. Put Toby in the car after 4. He was pounding the thick stuff and started to fade. The Little Guy lasted another two before he slowed down. Not bad for 8-9months.

Ticks? Everywhere and many. Took a couple breaks and I must have killed 20. Almost all the small Deer tick. Picked a couple off that I could feel crawling on the drive home. I hate them all.

All in all a good day considering.

As far as the Fayette Cong. Not much has been mentioned about them the last 5 years or so. I honestly think it was a relatively few back then that gained notoriety and then some started coping and it got a little out of hand. Truthfully you hear about very little of it going on today. Fact is where I'm from they had their share for many years. Some of which were family. Actually I hunt with a fellow that lives around Ohio Pyle. Great guy. He tells me some of the stories that were going around at one time, but actually nothing now for quite some time.

That area also has some great history from the time of the French and Indian wars. Washington escaped getting killed twice before we broke off from the Brits and he was a young Buck in the Brit army. Once at For Necessity, which was nothing more than a ring of slabs, and the French and Indians had them surrounded and out numbered. His good luck was it rained and every ones powder got wet and the French let them go. After they signed a promise not to fight again. Didn't work and they were lucky the French were there, because the Indians were ready to kill them all and would have.

A second time was when he was with General Braddock while they were carving their way thru the forest with a couple thousand men. They were strung out in a long line when the French/Indians hit them in the middle and killed over half of them. Washington was in the rear and missed the worst of it. Ugly fight it was and one not known by all that many today.

Dogs need brushed and all of us need de-ticked.

Last edited by battue; 10/22/15.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Well better today....in some ways. grin

Put 6.5hours in and when it comes to hills, Michigan sure as hell isn't Pa. Anyway short story was 5 flushes and I had to miss an easy one that got up at my feet. He was in the thick pretty quick, but I should have had a Bird. Hot again and the Dogs took a beating. Put Toby in the car after 4. He was pounding the thick stuff and started to fade. The Little Guy lasted another two before he slowed down. Not bad for 8-9months.

Ticks? Everywhere and many. Took a couple breaks and I must have killed 20. Almost all the small Deer tick. Picked a couple off that I could feel crawling on the drive home. I hate them all.

All in all a good day considering.

As far as the Fayette Cong. Not much has been mentioned about them the last 5 years or so. I honestly think it was a relatively few back then that gained notoriety and then some started coping and it got a little out of hand. Truthfully you hear about very little of it going on today. Fact is where I'm from they had their share for many years. Some of which were family. Actually I hunt with a fellow that lives around Ohio Pyle. Great guy. He tells me some of the stories that were going around at one time, but actually nothing now for quite some time.

That area also has some great history from the time of the French and Indian wars. Washington escaped getting killed twice before we broke off from the Brits and he was a young Buck in the Brit army. Once at For Necessity, which was nothing more than a ring of slabs, and the French and Indians had them surrounded and out numbered. His good luck was it rained and every ones powder got wet and the French let them go. After they signed a promise not to fight again. Didn't work and they were lucky the French were there, because the Indians were ready to kill them all and would have.

A second time was when he was with General Braddock while they were carving their way thru the forest with a couple thousand men. They were strung out in a long line when the French/Indians hit them in the middle and killed over half of them. Washington was in the rear and missed the worst of it. Ugly fight it was and one not known by all that many today.

Dogs need brushed and all of us need de-ticked.

Are you in Michigan hunting?

I used to live about a twenty minute ride from Ohio Pyle. Beautiful country around there.

I'm familiar with Fort Necessity history and General Braddocks.

Battue, have you ever gone there? How about Ligonier? I'm thinking so seeing your Avatar. Beautiful country. I miss the trees and trout waters. There's a whole host of tributaries, loaded with trout, flowing into Indian Creek, Laurel Hill, Castleman and Youghiogheny River. You ever do any fishing up those ways?

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Back in Pa.

Been to and past Ohio Pyle many times and shoot Sporting Clays not far away at Nemacolin. Used to date a girl from Ligonier and have a friend who used to hunt who lives there. Have stopped at Fort Necessity a couple times. No doubt some good country. Don't trout fish but have an acquaintance that takes people fly fishing who are staying at 7 Springs and he does well with them and on his own. He has been bugging me to go with him and meant to this summer, but never got around to it.

Don't know when you were to Ohio Pyle last, but it is constantly changing. White water rafting is big and these days bicycling. Gets pretty crowded on summer weekends.

One of my favorite views of Ohio Pyle was one winter when the falls were frozen over.

Here is a little blast from the past.

[Linked Image]

http://uncoveringpa.com/fort-necessity-national-battlefield

Last edited by battue; 10/22/15.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Nice. I was actually there visiting last summer, before that it was a few years. I've actually been in the bar for a brew and bite to eat. My f-i-l and I used to sneak upto four mile hole Atleast once a year via the bike trail. We would strap our fly rod tube holders to bike with mini coolers and bike in. Wed go early in the morning to beat the crowd. Mainly to fish before the river got bombarded with kayaks. Once they start coming down in large groups we'd leave. Usually stay until around 10am-noonish sometimes. You wouldn't believe the amount of rattlesnakes we saw along the trail early am being the first two knuckle heads up there.

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If the masses knew how plentiful they were, I bet it wouldn't be so packed along the trail.

Tight chains.

A=A

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
My family is from southern Fayettte County. Hopwood, Fairchance, Oliphant Furnace, Uniontown, Farmington etc. We spend a lot of time "over the mountain" when we visit. I get the kids to Jumonville and Fort Necessity at least one a year. The kids love the interactive tour at Fort Necessity. Back in the 80s, my Grandma's paper boy went over the falls at Ohiopyle, and drowned. That is a pretty rough river in spots. I spent a lot of my summer vacations in SW Pa., with my Grandparents, and I am grateful for those times. There is no place like SW Pa.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey Battue,

Sorry you didn't get a bird but I'm glad that Toby got some good work in. You boys have plenty of season left. It is hard to beat a good day with your dog!!!!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Should have, so my fault. Had two ticks hooked on and the Dogs had a couple each. Probably spent and hour getting them off of them the best I could and I'm sure there are some I missed. Who ever thunk you would not only come home and brush your Dog out, but also vacuum them off.

Oh for the old days. grin

Last edited by battue; 10/23/15.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Heads up for those who hunt with the ticks. It was hard to believe the number of ticks picked up on the last hunt. That evening I removed more than 20 from each Dog. This was with spraying them down first. Last night I removed another 20 plus from both of them combined.

Had a Vet appointment this afternoon for the little guy and he said to put on a Seresto collar in that he has found it to work the best. He lives in the country and has experimented with what works best on his Dogs and recommends the Seresto collar.

Also said that if you find a tick attached and engorged to give the Dog 3-5 days of doxycycline 100mg qd. Both Dogs got the Lyme vaccination.

Had three that were attached to myself. None of which had the chance to suck blood.

This is the worst I have seen it yet here in Pa and I thought last year was bad.

Last edited by battue; 10/27/15.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My doctor said they had to be attached to you for 48 hours. Anything less not to worry.

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep the literature I've found at work says 36-48. I've had it once and supposedly caught it in time.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Same here. I've had more than my fair share of bullseyes and had to munch the antibiotics to many times for my m liking

Tight chains.

A=A

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Bud and I went to a Pa Gamelands today to give the Dog a chance are some easier Birds. A good day in that we put up around 15-17 Birds in some really thick cover.

Merlot got some flushes and a few retrieves. One of which was a runner that he eventually had to dig out. His English Pointer had some really nice points.

Not the real deal, but good experience for a young Dog. Probably go to another one tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 10/29/15.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
You are a lucky man, as you boys have a lot of great hunting ahead of you. My compliments on the picture. You might want to frame that one,

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Outstanding Battue congrats. That's a handsome pup for sure, I see great things in his future

Tight chains.

A=A

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just got caught up on this thread.. Nice rooster there.. We spent some time in Idaho and Wy. for birds.. Not much success, but saw quite a few in Idaho.. Man is that country rough.. To rough for my age.. But beautiful area..

Roosters don't open here til the 7th of Nov. May hunt whitetails opening weekend, and then move up for a weeks go at the roosters..

A great time of year.. Keep us posted on the hunts!!

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
An update: Merlot is coming on faster than I would have ever thunk. Out the other day and the two of us killed three Ringnecks. Bud has a good Pointer that gets out further than my flushers, but Toby pushed one out and Merlot four.

Today went by myself, hot at 70-71F. Put up 7 birds in 5 hours and Merlot had five of them. I'm beginning to think his nose is better than Toby's even at his early age. These Birds have been out a week and are catching on. Had one good shot and missed.

The heat was hard on 10 year old Toby, but the little guy never quit. Rest day for them tomorrow.

Good day.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey Battue,

I'm glad to hear that you are getting both of the boys out. I hunted my Golden into her 12th year. I worked her about five days a week so she was conditioned to it. You are a blessed soul to have two hunting dogs. Have fun with them for the rest of us.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks again Wilkes. Problem is in order to have the time to go as much, time has crept up on me. However, blessed I am no doubt.

Toby really did fine for his age. Combined with the fact he is a bull in the thick. I gave him a couple shade breaks and we spent some cooling time at a big lake at the finish, but he was going good at the end considering the heat.

His nose could be a little stronger, but he knows where they live and never hesitates to drop in.

Last edited by battue; 11/03/15.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Another pretty good day for the Little Guy and the Big Guy did fine also. Merlot is starting to go to his Birds with his head up and more aggressive. He has come far in a short time.

Flushed 14 Birds and each of us got two. Buds Dogs pointed his and Toby flushed one and Merlot another for myself. Along with making three retrieves.

Day of rain, then wind, then heat.

Wake-up call:

[Linked Image]

End of the day:

[Linked Image]

Team photo:

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great team there!! 28 ga.???

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5's. Both shots at around 25-30yards. The 28 continues to impress me.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I need to shoot mine more.. One of the slowest upland game seasons I have had for a while.. Keep knocking those roosters!!!!!!!

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Another gear report. I'm a boot guy and always looking for something that wears comfortable. Bud has a pair of these LL Bean Techno something and said they are worth it. Was hesitant, but he spends more than a little time in the upland following Bird Dogs. The reviews were ++++, so gave them a try.

First day out-for approx 6 hours-and they may be better than the Mendel LW's I wore in Michigan when it comes to comfort. Also easy on and easy off: press or pull and turn. Light weight and comfortable.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 11/06/15.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Grouse hunting week kinda had a curve thrown. First off was two days of beeeeg wind. Like power lines down and trees falling across the back roads wind. Not all that good for Grouse hunting so we went to the fields for Pheasants. Did fine and knocked down 14 Birds in two days.

Winds died down and the heat moved in. Killed a Grouse one day and had around 10-11 flushes. Next day was zaharoooo flushes. Last day we found a new spot and a Bud killed one Grouse and we finished up with 15 flushes for the day.

Today three of us went after Pheasants and ended up with six Birds. Toby made some nice retrieves and Merlot pushed at least three Birds out that we shot or shot at. Pretty good day.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice work... Lots of roosters!!! We just left the pheasant fields.. Now looking for a buck.. Managed 9 roosters and 5 huns. 9 was our possession limit.. A few days left for you guys before buck season... Best of luck..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great looking pup you got there Battue. Great talking to you today. Good luck hunting. I'll try to stay in touch better. Was a crazy spring and summer. Spent most of it in Montana. Miss shooting with you.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Battue,
Looks like Merlow is coming along well. I found out Saturday his blood line mate has another skill; she can find a deer. Abbey got bloodied and a ride to the taxidermist/processor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 12/24/15.
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Ha!! Cool, I wanted to get him in on that this year myself, but no Buck showed himself were I could get any shooting. Lots of Does tried to jump in the pot, but we let them be for now. In addition, nice Buck. Congrats.

Merlot is starting to roan up himself, but probably will not end up as much as yours. But the orange ticking keeps coming out. One thing I also see is the similarity in eye color and placement in the head. They both have a kinda Asian slant when it comes to eye position. Ear coloring and hair texture is practically identical.

Looks like you are having as much fun with Abby-had a fine Springer by that name-as I with Merlot.

Cool pics and thanks for the update on how you two are coming along. cool

Interesting story. One day while shooting a guy pulled up in a Jeep and out came what looked like an identical twin to Toby, the black Cocker. Now Toby doesn't care all that much about other Dogs. No aggression, he just doesn't care. Well, the two of them did the sniffing thing and then took off over the field together.

I commented on the similarity and how it was odd for Toby to want to play with another Dog. Guy then asks me were Toby came from. Turns out our Dogs were out of different litters from the same mating. They were Brothers. Those two for the rest of the day were inseparable. They ran each other ragged and then laid down beside each other until they caught their wind and then went at it again. Toby hasn't done the same since and it took him quite awhile to have much to do with Merlot.

Last edited by battue; 12/24/15.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very cool how similar they are; Abbey was almost solid white when I got her. I was having trouble finding my buck and went and got her; she has an awesome nose and I knew she would find it even if she did not know what it was.Hope to get her in front of some birds after deer season; we did not have many doves early. Other skills she has developed are riding in the golf cart, watching Alabama football and enjoying the fireplace smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
That Buck looks better with each pic. 😉

Merlot likes Deer perhaps a little too much. She has taken off twice on one. Once out the back yard and into the wood. Finally found him coming home around 30minuts later. Out the front would have been onto the road. The other was in Michigan Woodcock hunting. Caught sight of him way out crossing an old logging road. Again 30 minutes or so. Have had to use some electric to put an end to it.

Tell me Abbey can't pass a sock without picking it up and I wouldn't be surprised.😀

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If a sock or reading glasses hits the floor; I better get some cheese fast to trade smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.