Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cabelas has refurbished wicked ridge warriors on sale for 349.
Lifetime guarantee.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer red dot scope mainly because you can see better at dawn and dusk. Just remember to turn off when not in use and carry extra battery. Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm
Cabelas has refurbished wicked ridge warriors on sale for 349.
Lifetime guarantee.

Thanks! I need to clean out the Gun Safe to sell some stuff and bite
the Bullet and get me some kind of x bow!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
+1 for Excaliber. Can fix almost anything that goes wrong in the field if needed. Very accurate and their new model is more compact. I have used one every year since Oklahoma made them legal and love it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Thanks for the input guys. I'll check some of these out.

Probably 85% of the time it'll be used from a ground blind. If shots are limited to 20-25 yards, how important is a scope? It seems like a lot of Xbows are sold with them. Is there that much arrow arc from 15-25 yards? I can't see us being much closer than 15.

Yeah, there is enough difference. Considering how you want to be very precise in arrow placement. I think I have about a foot of drop at least at fifty yards with my Excaliber, maybe 18 inches.I think it's like 6 inches at 30-35 yards. This is with a 20 yard "zero".

Like I said though, the Excaliber scope makes it very simple and easy to hit at varying range.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not sure you could ever find a real issue with the Excaliburs.

My FIL has a Vortex and my BIL has a Matrix 355.

I shoot an older Horton, but I want to upgrade to the Excalibur.

They are simple, fast, accurate, and very easy to shoot.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i like my tenpoint,its fast and quit.mine has the crank cocker. any of the top brands shoot very well.if i was going to buy a neew one i'd get a parker only because the factory is near me.i have a few friends that work for them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been very happy with Tenpoint x-bows which are made in Ohio. Very good customer service. I shoot a Turbo II The Wicked Ridge line is made by Tenpoint at a lower price point but they are still a good quality bow. A red dot scope on a cross bow is a big help in low light conditions, especially inside a blind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're finally legal in WV, but this year I decided to get back in using a recurve instead. Been at it a few weeks and am making good progress. Still, for someone that just wants to hunt and have a reasonable chance at some tenderloin, a crossbow makes a lot of sense. If I eventually go down that road, I'll get an Excalibur, for the reasons every else gave.

My son shoots compounds, hunting and in competition, and before he got a dedicated target bow, he had to get new cables and strings pretty often at considerable expense. Both he and my cousin had limb failures and had to get new bows because theirs had been discontinued.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought a used Horton reverse draw x-box, 150lb. Worked great on the two deer I shot at. Buck was at 40 yards and the doe at 25. Arrow went where aimed. On the hunter orange, I was hunting in an early rifle doe season and you were required to where the orange.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Jim, you put your limbs on backwards.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I just inherited my dads' Ten Point crossbow. It seems very well made and I can hit a tennis ball sized target fifty yards out every time. That was with the slick trick practice head. It has the scope and crank thing on it as well. It is much quicker and quieter to use the foot hold and pull the string back though. Not sure of your limitations. It isn't my thing as I am a traditional archer and prefer the good old recurve or longbow but it does it's job well I guess. It's hell on rabbits that sneak into my garden.

Last edited by Aught6; 07/24/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just shot one 'bolt' into the styrofoam target in my basement.

It's quiet, nobody heard it, and I hit the target in the center!

For just a couple of hundred dollars it's interesting.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My Excalibur is very accurate and fast. Complete pass through on Whitetail.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 for an Excalibur.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just read a ton of reviews. Customer service is the key if it sucks so does the product.

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Consider the Kodabow. Simple. Powerful. Durable. You won't have any trouble with it, and it's made in the USA, here in Pennsylvania.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Just got the word that the oldest boy and I were drawn for a local archery only hunt. And archery only to me means I've gotta buy a crossbow.

Any recommendations? I don't know what they run, but I don't mind paying for quality since this will be an ongoing hunt every year.

What to look out for / avoid?

Excalibur is a good one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Plus one for the Stryker 380.

After a hands on comparison with others, including a Barnett (don't remember the model, rated at approx. 350 fps), the Stryker was quieter. Great speed and accuracy. It is narrower than most so fits in the portable blind / tree stand nicely.

gundog

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an Excalibur. It is extremely accurate and like has been mentioned already much louder than my compound bow. I can restring it without tools, and store it unstrung during the off season.

It is difficult to cock for the second shot in a Summit Viper stand because of the shooting rail. I use a rope cocker, and a quick second shot is not really an option like a vertical bow.

Don't shoot at the same spot on your target twice unless you like buying bolts.

TANSTAAFL
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

626 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,447,972
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.