Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I have been reading this forum for a long time. I have always wanted to go elk hunting but due to lack of knowledge about area and job have never actually gotten it done.

I have two sons I'm planning to take elk hunting. Looking at over the counter rifle season in colorado. Live in iowa. Have hunted deer all my life as well as birds etc.

I'm looking for some advice about units that I could see elk but maybe less people. I know everyone wants that. I'm just not the best at just venturing out without trying to find out the most I can.

I would rather be around fewer hunters with fewer elk if it means not fighting crowds all the time.

Can't afford a guide or private ground. Packing in and camping is not something I have ever done.

thanks for any help. Just wanting to create memories with the kids and finally hunt some elk.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have you gone through Colorado's Elk University (on their website) yet? Lots of good info for someone starting out there. My advice is pick a unit with elk and tags and go. You'll learn 100x more in a week there than you will on the internet. Obviously, I'm suggesting this in addition to internet research. It's a good starter.

RLTW
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
About any area that offers OTC tags will either be very limited in the number of elk in that area,or have very heavy hunting by other hunters.

You best bet would be to look for leftover cow tags that go on sale a little later than the OTC tags which are usually in the later seasons.This however presents another problem as it sounds like you would not be equipped for harsher weather. There are always a few leftover tgas for the 1st season,but now many.

I can't help much with areas,as I don't hunt units where foot traffic is prevalent

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I think your best bet is the Cow/calf option in Wyoming. Leftover tags are on sale right now, and are very reasonably priced. Go on their website and see what opportunities are available, look at their statistics by hunt and by unit, and find one with a decent percentage of success. You will never find a place with good elk hunting without other hunters, but your best bet is to go a week after the season opens and stay out of the woods on the weekends.

S
OP Offline
S
Thank you for all the responses and suggestions. I realize I won't find good hunting areas without other hunters. I was more looking for a happy medium if you were me. I will look into the Wyoming option but the dates of the hunt are unfortunately an important factor due to my job and kids sports seasons.

The late October or early November is the best window I have seen for me.

My kids are in junior high but in very good shape. I will get tired before they will.

Additional question... is the youth nonresident tag good for any sex in any otc unit or just the ones that allow any sex.

So any actual unit suggestions based on those things? BTW I have been through the Colorado site and I can pick a unit on my own... I would rather hear from people who know much better than I do what might fit my needs better.

Last edited by str8ball; 07/15/15.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My suggestion is get into it for the long haul.

Find a unit where you can draw a late season leftover tag or draw with no points, but one that offers early season tags that require a point or two. Unit 49 used to be that way but there are many others. 74 perhaps.

As first time elk hunters you would have the odds stacked against you anyway even in one of the better units. Statewide success fluctuates around 25% but if you take out the guided and ranch hunters it drops to more like 1 in 7.

During those late seasons you will have less pressure from other hunters and will find areas that you will have to yourselves. You'll have the chance to learn the terrain and learn the elk patterns in that area and see where others have had success. After a year or two, (some places three), you will have the points to draw a more coveted early season tag. By then you will know the area, and your party will be a serious threat to elk at that point.
That fact that any points are required usually limits the crowding also.

Way too much emphasis is placed on simply punching a tag and way too many say they aren't there to just camp, but really - paying your dues to learn an area is a big part of it. A lot of success is predicated on being familiar with an area and understanding how elk use that specific terrain.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
str8ball -

If you are willing to walk you can generally get away from other hunters.

Be aware that having other hunters in the area is not always bad - often they will get the elk moving and provide you with opportunities you would not otherwise have. I've also seen elk hole up in dense cover not far from where people and horses are walking by and making a lot of noise.

Consider yourself very lucky (or good and more likely some of both) if you get an elk your first time out. Consider it an exercise in learning where getting an elk is a bonus and enjoy the opportunity with your kids.

What part of Iowa are you from? I grew up in Iowa and moved out here in 1981 primarily so I could hunt elk. No sons but one daughter that hunts (antelope in the past, antelope and first elk hunt this year), another daughter that goes along with her hubby and hopefully a second son-in-law hunting elk with us this fall.

If you want to talk via phone, send me a PM. I can provide a lot more information in a much shorter time that way. In any case, good luck to you and your sons.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
OP Offline
S
I'm originally from Logan iowa just north of council bluffs and Omaha nebraska. Live in eastern iowa now by grinnell.

I know there are different options for camping etc. I know some people who say they stay at hotel and drive out early in the morning.

Again, I have no clue. I assume most people camp where they are hunting or near a vehicle and walk in to where they will hunt early in the morning?

I will have about a week to hunt probably.

S
OP Offline
S
I understand the odds are against us. I assume when you say draw that you mean the regular drawing that I missed? The early seasons for those don't usually match my job schedule. I'm in education and that means September is usually going to be out as an option. Thank you for the suggestion. I will look at that option.

Is there a late season for that? Maybe I misunderstood.

I enjoy the hunt whether you get anything or not. My kids may be a different story. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by str8ball
I understand the odds are against us. I assume when you say draw that you mean the regular drawing that I missed? The early seasons for those don't usually match my job schedule. I'm in education and that means September is usually going to be out as an option. Thank you for the suggestion. I will look at that option.

Is there a late season for that? Maybe I misunderstood.

I enjoy the hunt whether you get anything or not. My kids may be a different story. smile

I was thinking rifle seasons and 4th is going to be about mid-November wheras 1st rifle is around 2nd week of October.
You can do a lot of manipulating with this if you decide to follow this strategy. Unit 61 comes to mind. If I recall correctly (which is a big if) all but the 4th season require preference points so in that unit (or someplace like it) you could collect a point the first year in the draw and then use that point to move earlier after a season or two.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, are you doing it this year or next? If next you have a lot more and better options with limited licenses. And while I'm not going to suggest a unit, pick one with wilderness. That's not the same as public land.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Walden, Steamboat, Craig areas, any OTC tags there?

Leftover tags for Wyoming- cow tag for area 98. If in your shoes, I'd try for it. 98-6 tag starts early, runs late. Lotta time to hunt. Good 1st experience.

Last edited by Wyogal; 07/15/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wyogal

Archery antlered and either sex tags
rifle 2nd and 3rd season bull tags

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have hunted the OTC 2nd rifle season for the past 4 years in South Central and SW Colorado. My hunting buddy and I did a backpack hunt and 3 semi-guided hunts. While we saw some elk, most were cows and small bulls. The bigger herd bulls were not to be found and we hunted as hard as we could for our age (both of us are in good physical condition but in our mid-60's). This year (and another year older), we were drawn for the 1st rifle season on a fully guided, drop camp hunt. If I'm not successful this year, I will just have to continue to fill my freezer with flat-land deer meat.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
S
OP Offline
S
Yeah, I missed the 98-4 left overs. The 98-6 were sold out. What do you guys think of 66-6 cow/calf in Wyoming compared to doing over the counter in Colorado. The season dates work for both.

Leftover tags for Wyoming- cow tag for area 98. If in your shoes, I'd try for it. 98-6 tag starts early, runs late. Lotta time to hunt. Good 1st experience.

S
OP Offline
S
I am doing it this year. I have been putting it off and finally said I am going this year even though I missed the draw.

Originally Posted by exbiologist
So, are you doing it this year or next? If next you have a lot more and better options with limited licenses. And while I'm not going to suggest a unit, pick one with wilderness. That's not the same as public land.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by str8ball
Yeah, I missed the 98-4 left overs. The 98-6 were sold out. What do you guys think of 66-6 cow/calf in Wyoming compared to doing over the counter in Colorado. The season dates work for both.

66 is a tough hunt, not in ruggedness, but that it is migration route, and timing is important. The best late hunting of area 66 is up near the Meteetsee, where elk move to primarily 2 ranches,
after a major storm. One of the ranches allows hunters. Phoning the Game warden/Game and Fish Dept for that area, they'd be able to get you the ranchers #. But the elk usually don't move down into there until late Nov, early-mid Dec. The rancher does not like semi auto rifles FYI. But hunters do phone this rancher to ask not only permission, but if the elk are starting to come down onto his ranch, he's good about that.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Another elk migration route goes across the hwy usually between Gooseberry and Middle FK creeks onto oilfield land/BLM land area 66. Very difficult to determine when they cross, but likely around a major storm. The locals are on it immediately after the crossing. Its basically desert until the elk get to the farmer's fields along the eastern edge.

I don't know alot about the land right below Cody, except that most of it is public land. In fact the large majority of public land is above Meteetsee, for area 66. But I've never seen many hunters in that area. Really tough travel when there's snow, and alot of oil related fields.

S
OP Offline
S
The other elk migration route goes across the hwy usually between Gooseberry and Middle FK creeks onto oilfield land/BLM land area 66. Very difficult to determine when they cross, but likely around a major storm. The locals are on it immediately after the crossing. Its basically desert until the elk get to the farmer's fields along the eastern edge.

Thanks, that doesn't sound too promising. This is why I am asking these questions. What about unit 3 3rd season in colorado? bull tag for me and kids with youth licenses?

Last edited by str8ball; 07/15/15.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yeah I think it isn't too promising. With current options you have, sounds like Colorado this year.

Area 66 is basically a depredation hunt for the local folks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
640 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.