Print Thread
Hop To
#10149070 07/15/15
M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Just found out my son will be doing part of his residency for optometry in Nome from May to August next year. We are planning to go visit him. We want to do it right and make this a fishing trip as well. My wife is dead set on halibut fishing, I would be happy catching Salmon. Is that to far up there for halibut. Thanks for any advice. Might make this a week in one place and then a week in Nome.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think are many charters out of Nome, possibly none. You'd be better off stretching your trip a day or two and hitting Seward for a combo halibut/coho salmon trip especially if your trip is somewhere between mid-July to mid August. Just beware all the top boats will be booked up for the salmon derby well in advance.

I'm with you, much more fun to catch salmon, especially dime bright coho in the salt as they put on a good fight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know anything about the halibut fishing up there, but the salmon, dolly, and especially the grayling fishing is great. World class grayling fishing up there. Drive out of town 20-30 miles, walk a mile or so up or downstream, and it can be unreal. Watch out for the muskox! wink These pics were from late June.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Fat Bastard!
(The fish, Ptarm. The fish.)
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My God that is a pig!!!

Just wow!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think we caught one under 14" on that trip. It was actually kinda odd and didn't go unnoticed. In front of that big rock just above the fish's head was something else. When we walked up to it all we could see were fins moving around on the surface like sharks. Big schools of big grayling just milling around. Game on with dries and nymphs!

Also, every so often some fry/smolt must have pushed down river and when they did the dollys would go nuts slashing the surface. We would switch rods and swing smolt patterns to them. Those dollys jumped and ran like rainbows. I'd love to spend a summer up there exploring and I'm a bit envious of the OP.

A few more pics if you need any convincing that it's a trip that should be done.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Fat Bastard!
(The fish, Ptarm. The fish.)

What's funny is I just said that on Sunday and now I'm 4 days into a lower calorie diet and stepping up the exercise routine. I wish my wife wasn't a good cook and I didn't love food! Cutting out the suds for 4-5 weeks is gonna suck also. Don't want to blow a gasket yarding a moose out this fall. Geez an IPA would be good right about now!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A good friend always said "beer don't make you fat, it makes you lazy... now lazy, lazy makes you fat!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A good friend always said "beer don't make you fat, it makes you lazy... now lazy, lazy makes you fat!

One of the best sayings I've heard in years!

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sweet Jesus those are crazy grayling.

We caught a BUNCH of salmon outside of Nome in early July. Find a stream going to salt and game on.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

That's about as dead on as it gets!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Sweet Jesus those are crazy grayling.

We caught a BUNCH of salmon outside of Nome in early July. Find a stream going to salt and game on.

The sockeye were just starting to show up in that system. Weighted treble hooks were the lure of choice for the locals hanging out at the bridge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best halibut fishing ‘around Nome’ probably involves getting yourselves out to Saint Lawrence Island....Savoonga and all. laugh ......or not!!!! (But they’ve sure pulled some immense pigs out of those waters!) Salmon runs have been getting pretty sparse up Nome-way for the past several years. Looks to me like hitting up some of those chunky ‘salmon wolves’ that Ptarmigan posted might be the way to go.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.