Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
It's been like a Dutch oven here this summer. Always a challenge to get a rifle cooled down in a timely manner when doing load development. This is what I've come up with, costs about $25 and cuts the cooling time by more than half. It's a small shopvac that sits on a 5 gal. bucket, I fill the bucket with ice (I'm using a foam liner from a minnow bucket in there) and put it on exhaust. Lucky to have power at this range.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by davidlea; 07/14/15.

Golden............
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You ever worry about condensation or do you run a patch down the bore after it cools?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Never developed a load outside expected use temp. range. All I've seen shooters during summer use is fans and rifles racked vertically for "chimney effect" cooling.

Some use alcohol patches on the barrel (exterior) to hasten the process. Let us know if you like long term results?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I do run a patch but haven't noticed any condensation. I also rack mine vertically and that works well, what I tried to do was cut some down time when needed. I've tried compressed air, wet towels and fans-even putting in the cab of the truck with the a/c on-lots of condensation there.

I think it may be best to let it cool on it's own if you're not pressed for time but this helps speed it up a bit. Working up loads when it's this hot assures that if there is a pressure problem I'll surely find it. Given my choice I'd only shoot when it's much cooler, it's so much less fun when it's in the high 90's with humidity to match. laugh laugh

Golden............
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I saw a guy with a bright idea one time. He had the electronic air pump for a air mattress with a tube to the chamber of the barrel. I was trying to figure out a way to the make the air cooler, rather then just being ambient air. I think I have figured out the way! Use the same 5 gallon bucket with ice like you have, but drill a hole just big enough for the tubing to go out of and into the chamber. I like it!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I try not to get in a big hurry working up loads, but sometimes i do use the Compressed Air in the cans you buy at the local photo centers and it does help.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I saw a guy with a bright idea one time. He had the electronic air pump for a air mattress with a tube to the chamber of the barrel. I was trying to figure out a way to the make the air cooler, rather then just being ambient air. I think I have figured out the way! Use the same 5 gallon bucket with ice like you have, but drill a hole just big enough for the tubing to go out of and into the chamber. I like it!

Damn, check out Todd with the big brain! grin grin Why didn't I think of that? Good idea.

Golden............
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Good ideas! I have been avoiding the range for the past month because of the heat. I just finished a 358 Winchester that I really want to shoot. Maybe one of these methods will help with the heat problem.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.